Player Watch Welcome to Port Adelaide Esava Ratugolea, Finally

Remove this Banner Ad

People way too harsh on Rat.

We did not trade in a finished product. He has in fact been a better player for us than he was last year for Geelong.

We recruited him to stand monsters and to intercept mark not to be the distributor out the backline. This week he earns his keep.

I’d rather him on Curnow/McKay than Bergman or Burton.
Next year with Ken hopefully gone I can see our defense setting up better and not pushing so high, so he hangs deeper on the big units with a more simple objective.

I really don't think he's suited to defence. His disposal is too iffy and he doesn't have great decision making, those turnovers kill us time and time again. Play him up forward where it hurts us less and give him an opportunity to gain some confidence in his game. I think he'd offer more than Lord and Marshall at the moment.
We're not exactly light on for defenders either so to me it makes sense to push him forward and if we need an extra tall down back, fit someone like McKenzie or Burton back in the side when they recover from injury and gain some form in the SANFL.
Ken Hinkley reads Bigfooty confirmed

The change was made uptown and the big man joined the band
From the coastline to the city all the little pretties raise their hands

As per others I haven't been keen at all on Ratugolea as a defender but he is looking much better as a forward which was his original position when drafted, and the 2 gorilla set up of him and Dixon is working very well as they can both take strong pack marks and have to be manned up at all times, which frees up Georgiadis to get into space against the 3rd tall defender and score multiple goals.

Funny thing with his kicking - and this is only from one shot on goal I saw from directly behind him - is he kicked the ball straight as an arrow, just aimed for the wrong spot.

I guess not everything Tom Hawkins taught him about forward craft was good ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Esava looks good up forward but he has caught that old Alberton 'cannot kick straight' virus. Definitely looks a forward and he could easily have had 3 goals last night if he had kicked straight.
He actually caught the virus in Geelong with around a fifty fifty return from around 70 odd shots on goal. Definitely a better option than Marshall imo. So hard to match up on.

Georgiades is the big beneficially of Esava and a mobile uninjured Dixon as KPFs.

If Dixon is fit enough there is no room for Marshall.

Puts Marshall's position in jeopardy. Maybe he would suit high HF/wing better?

I wouldn't play Marshall ahead of any of the small forwards, and I'm certainly not playing him on the wing ahead of Burgoyne or Boak at this point.

He's a square peg in a round hole at this point. Doesn't fit the current make up of the team.

Puts Marshall's position in jeopardy. Maybe he would suit high HF/wing better?
Wing ✅ could be a nightmare match up, what we want Miles to be, a marking Wingman able to drop back to be the 7th defender or deliver the footy inside 50 to the forward advantage.

There was a number of incidents where Ratugolea would use his size and brute strength to win the ball.

A lot of times Marshall would just be either soft, or wait for the ball to come to him and a defender would kill the contest.

Insane that these 2 guys are only a few months apart in age.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Welcome to Port Adelaide Esava Ratugolea, Finally

Remove this Banner Ad

Back