Player Watch Welcome to Port Adelaide Esava Ratugolea, Finally

Remove this Banner Ad

We laughed at Geelong for wanting pick 70 for Esava in addition but they got us.

Humphries who they picked, played better than Esava.
We could've picked Humphries with any of the picks that netted us three players who have played one quarter of AFL between them this year. Mackie is still a ****head.

Big blokes have got to hurt opposition players that try to get into his way when leading into a pack situation, knees and ebows up.

Amy chance you get to debilitate an opposition's ruck in a contest you have to take.

We laughed at Geelong for wanting pick 70 for Esava in addition but they got us.

Humphries who they picked, played better than Esava.

Humphries was the second last pick in the draft. Whether they had pick 70 or not from us is completely irrelevant. They could have picked him with pick 140 if they wanted.

Re: Esava, we dont have the coaching staff to turn a flaky borderline best 22 player into a solid and dependable key forward or back.

Esava has to find his inner Sitiveni Rabuka and get angry and threaten to belt his opponents if they keep scragging him and the umpires keep ignoring this.

He's big enough and ugly enough to put his opponent on the back foot by just looking like he is going to belt you.

He is too nice. The Sydney game he dominated because Sydney backs didn't scrag him and he had 6 shots for goal, but kicked poorly. Since then, he has been scragged most of the time he goes for the ball and umpires have rarely given him a free.

Get Cudru Esava. Think like a Fijian centre about to smash into an All Black.

Esava has to find his inner Sitiveni Rabuka and get angry and threaten to belt his opponents if they keep scragging him and the umpires keep ignoring this.

He's big enough and ugly enough to put his opponent on the back foot by just looking like he is going to belt you.

He is too nice. The Sydney game he dominated because Sydney backs didn't scrag him and he had 6 shots for goal, but kicked poorly. Since then, he has been scragged most of the time he goes for the ball and umpires have rarely given him a free.

Get Cudru Esava. Think like a Fijian centre about to smash into an All Black.
He doesn't have that in him. Never has, and never will.

I don't think he should play this week, nor do I think Dixon should either. They're better off picking Lord and Marshall to play with Mitch to give them big game experience together.

There's no value in Esava as a footballer. Whether it is up forward or down back. He doesn't offer anything in the ruck either. The idea that a forward is there to 'compete' and bring the ball to ground is utter garbage in my opinion. Forwards are there to win games and kick goals first and foremost. That's their job. Esava hasn't kicked one for a month.

There is nothing to suggest he should play this week. I'm also more inclined to believe in 18 months time we'll look back on the trade to get him as one of the dumbest moves we have made.

Jimmy Bartel told an interesting story about Esava and the trade to Port and Andrew Mackie holding out for pick 94. We gave up;
  • pick #25 +
  • pick #76 +
  • pick #94
Pick 94 which after academy and father son eliminated and added picks, and picks not used by clubs, became pick number 63, which Stephen Wells used to draft 20 year old Lawson Humphries from the the WAFL, who was probably BOG on Thursday night.

Pick 25 became pick 32 and they took Mitchell Lewis from Peel Thunder and pick 76 became pick 58 and took George Stevens from their backyard GW Victoria Rebels.

Wells doesn't make too many mistakes when taking guys from western Victoria, so in 2 or 3 years time I can see George Stevens becoming an important player.

Jimmy Bartel told an interesting story about Esava and the trade to Port and Andrew Mackie holding out for pick 94. We gave up;
  • pick #25 +
  • pick #76 +
  • pick #94
Pick 94 which after academy and father son eliminated and added picks, and picks not used by clubs, became pick number 63, which Stephen Wells used to draft 20 year old Lawson Humphries from the the WAFL, who was probably BOG on Thursday night.

Pick 25 became pick 32 and they took Mitchell Lewis from Peel Thunder and pick 76 became pick 58 and took George Stevens from their backyard GW Victoria Rebels.

Wells doesn't make too many mistakes when taking guys from western Victoria, so in 2 or 3 years time I can see George Stevens becoming an important player.
I understand symbolically it is kind of interesting, but practically that pick we handed over was almost certainly irrelevant.

Geelong took Humphries with the second last pick in the draft. The only reason why it would have been relevant is if Brisbane were going to take him with their pick, which I highly doubt.

I understand symbolically it is kind of interesting, but practically that pick we handed over was almost certainly irrelevant.

Geelong took Humphries with the second last pick in the draft. The only reason why it would have been relevant is if Brisbane were going to take him with their pick, which I highly doubt.
Its about Stephen Wells' (and Mackie's) and Geelong's trade dealings and drafting.

If it was irrelevant for us, why did we wait so long to give it to them?

Why didn't we have a Humphries lined up for pick 94, knowing there was a good chance it would end up in the mid 60's??

Look at the full 360 degrees.

Its about Stephen Wells' (and Mackie's) and Geelong's trade dealings and drafting.

If it was irrelevant for us, why did we wait so long to give it to them?

Why didn't we have a Humphries lined up for pick 94, knowing there was a good chance it would end up in the mid 60's??

Look at the full 360 degrees.
Kudos to them for the talent identification and the development.

But if you seriously think that draft pick made any difference to them getting their man or not you actually don't understand how the draft works.

If they don't have that pick they just take Humphries with their fifth rounder or something.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kudos to them for the talent identification and the development.

But if you seriously think that draft pick made any difference to them getting their man or not you actually don't understand how the draft works.

If they don't have that pick they just take Humphries with their fifth rounder or something.
Maybe. What if someone else was chasing him and Geelong knew they were going to take him with a very late pick?. And what if they had 3 others lined up before Humphries for a very late pick and they went before that pick turned up, and Humphries was next on their list?

As I said in my other post, if it meant nothing to us, why did we waste 3 or 4 days hanging on to it?

Maybe. What if someone else was chasing him and Geelong knew they were going to take him with a very late pick?. And what if they had 3 others lined up before Humphries for a very late pick and they went before that pick turned up, and Humphries was next on their list?

As I said in my other post, if it meant nothing to us, why did we waste 3 or 4 days hanging on to it?
There was one live pick in the draft after Humphries. So one other club missed the opportunity to draft him, every other club passed.

We don't even know if that pick held up the trade. Maybe Geelong were angling for a higher pick and we haggled down. Maybe it was out of principle.

All I know is that the pick was pretty much irrelevant, so if it did take three days of negotiation they all wasted their time.

We don't even know if that pick held up the trade. Maybe Geelong were angling for a higher pick and we haggled down. Maybe it was out of principle.
We do know that. Mackie told us so.

GEELONG football boss Andrew Mackie has explained the Cats' thinking in asking for picks 76 and 94 in the Esava Ratugolea trade.

The key defender was traded to the Power late on Deadline Day in exchange for pick 25 along with those late picks in the fourth round (76) and fifth round (94) of this year's draft.

AFL.com.au reported the Cats had rejected a deal for pick 25 only, with the two late picks getting the trade over the line. On the surface, it appears to be a strange sweetener in the deal given picks that late in the draft rarely get used.

Pick 76 was last used in 2018, when Port drafted Boyd Woodcock, while 94 hasn't been used to draft a player this century, instead being utilised only to elevate rookies.

However, Mackie believes those picks will jump up several spots, with other clubs' late picks to be wiped out when they choose to match bids.

"Right now, that 76 is our third pick of the draft. That'll come in with all the Gold Coast bids and everything involved, so that was the thinking there," Mackie told Continental Tyres AFL Trade Radio.

"We do value every pick. We've known all year we're probably working in the back end of the draft. Hopefully it comes in a bit and we can find a player."

Even if those picks do stay where they are, clubs have a history of finding diamonds in the rough.

Pick 76 was enough to get Mitch Lewis to Hawthorn in 2016 while Essendon used the same pick a year later to bring in Matt Guelfi.

I'd imagine Geelong supporters wanted Esava to get some mongrel in his game for years before us, he's apparently a lovely guy I'm not sure it's possible RussellEbertHandball .. gentle giant syndrome.
Probably not. But should see if we can, whilst he is on contract.

Maybe send him to a Collective Mind camp, and he might learn how to throttle the instructors.

Probably not. But should see if we can, whilst he is on contract.

Maybe send him to a Collective Mind camp, and he might learn how to throttle the instructors.
It was probably easier in the old days to get blokes to play angrier, the brutes would've been on the tools all week working with frustrating dickheads then an old school coach would be barking at you on Saturday not to be a soft campaigner in colourful ways.. you'd be ready to slaughter a small village by 2pm

We do know that. Mackie told us so.

GEELONG football boss Andrew Mackie has explained the Cats' thinking in asking for picks 76 and 94 in the Esava Ratugolea trade.

The key defender was traded to the Power late on Deadline Day in exchange for pick 25 along with those late picks in the fourth round (76) and fifth round (94) of this year's draft.

AFL.com.au reported the Cats had rejected a deal for pick 25 only, with the two late picks getting the trade over the line. On the surface, it appears to be a strange sweetener in the deal given picks that late in the draft rarely get used.

Pick 76 was last used in 2018, when Port drafted Boyd Woodcock, while 94 hasn't been used to draft a player this century, instead being utilised only to elevate rookies.

However, Mackie believes those picks will jump up several spots, with other clubs' late picks to be wiped out when they choose to match bids.

"Right now, that 76 is our third pick of the draft. That'll come in with all the Gold Coast bids and everything involved, so that was the thinking there," Mackie told Continental Tyres AFL Trade Radio.

"We do value every pick. We've known all year we're probably working in the back end of the draft. Hopefully it comes in a bit and we can find a player."

Even if those picks do stay where they are, clubs have a history of finding diamonds in the rough.

Pick 76 was enough to get Mitch Lewis to Hawthorn in 2016 while Essendon used the same pick a year later to bring in Matt Guelfi.
Good on them, if he is telling the truth.

They wasted 3 days to get a meaningless draft pick

It was probably easier in the old days to get blokes to play angrier, the brutes would've been on the tools all week working with frustrating dickheads then an old school coach would be barking at you on Saturday not to be a soft campaigner in colourful ways.. you'd be ready to slaughter a small village by 2pm
Maybe rather than listening to Hinkley for 20 minutes before the game, get him on the Kava and that might fire him up.

Esava at least competed and brought some chances for the smalls. The "system" of lobbing it long on the heads of Esava and Charlie while each of them had two or three holding them down and smothering them was a complete failure but nobody changed tack and thought to widen the options by targetting a small on the move. Yet time and again we thought it would work. Charlie is also cooked and there is no way he could compete with Blicavs either on the move or plonking still. Esava at least has the athleticism to be an option, so I haven't given up on him coming good if our system improves.

EKava must have had a sip before the game. He was massive in the first half and pretty solid in the second half.

He didnt let the Hawks key defenders grab and scrag him all night like the Geelong game and the last 4 or 5 minor round games.

He split packs on a few occasions, helped Georgi out with a couple of blocks and acted as our target down the line along the wing as peak Charlie in 2020-21 was. Didnt take many marks in that role but made a contest and keep the ball in the area

I dont know what happened in the last quarter but Sweet rucked all last quarter. I was expecting the Rat to take 5 to7 minutes in the middle of the quarter but maybe Jordan said dont worry Ive got this.

EKava must have had a sip before the game. He was massive in the first half and pretty solid in the second half.

He didnt let the Hawks key defenders grab and scrag him all night like the Geelong game and the last 4 or 5 minor round games.

He split packs on a few occasions, helped Georgi out with a couple of blocks and acted as our target down the line along the wing as peak Charlie in 2020-21 was. Didnt take many marks in that role but made a contest and keep the ball in the area

I dont know what happened in the last quarter but Sweet rucked all last quarter. I was expecting the Rat to take 5 to7 minutes in the middle of the quarter but maybe Jordan said dont worry Ive got this.
We really needed him to take a strong mark in the last to ice the game and he just couldnt grab it.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Welcome to Port Adelaide Esava Ratugolea, Finally

Remove this Banner Ad

Back