Player Watch Welcome to Port Adelaide Esava Ratugolea, Finally

Remove this Banner Ad

Players normally become better in the eyes of the fans when they don't play but for some reason Esava seems to have become worse. He's serviceable down back. Definitely not amazing but there have been at least a few games where he's been our best defender.

Let's just wait and see on the 'back line looks better without him' thing. It's a small sample against two bottom 10 teams.

Players normally become better in the eyes of the fans when they don't play but for some reason Esava seems to have become worse. He's serviceable down back. Definitely not amazing but there have been at least a few games where he's been our best defender.

Let's just wait and see on the 'back line looks better without him' thing. It's a small sample against two bottom 10 teams.
I think the backline looks better with one less tall moreso than it just being Esava cocking it up tbh synergy is also a thing for a new look defence.

I think the backline looks better with one less tall moreso than it just being Esava cocking it up tbh synergy is also a thing for a new look defence.

I'd be inclined to agree but it's predicated on Jones and Bergman not playing like rabbits (thanks PJ Power).

Esava needs to be coached hard. That's all.
I don't even think coaching him is the answer. He is just one of those players who is athletically gifted but not game smart.

He needs a game plan built around his strengths not his weaknesses, which would probably also be a game plan that takes advantage of Aliirs strengths not his weaknesses.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Esava needs to be coached hard. That's all.
Get him to watch some videos of his games and the best defenders games with Greg Phillips over a few slabs and he will improve outsight

Wont become great, but will become solid and reliable.

Get him to watch some videos of his games and the best defenders games with Greg Phillips over a few slabs and he will improve outsight

Wont become great, but will become solid and reliable.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

He should just be watching tape of great back men with a very good defensive coach to teach him in an intimate way.

And then some tape on himself making poor decisions and going through it.

And a slab or two wouldn't hurt.

I don't even think coaching him is the answer. He is just one of those players who is athletically gifted but not game smart.

He needs a game plan built around his strengths not his weaknesses, which would probably also be a game plan that takes advantage of Aliirs strengths not his weaknesses.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app
It could be the case but I would invest heavily in some uber coaching because he's got all the gift and if he learn the game, he would be a great player. And I think he could play up or back too.

I think he's been pretty good this year but had a few howlers but just needs a coach who can talk his language.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For some perspective he is 25 and hasn’t reached 100 games. Half of those he spent playing forward.

Was he that terrible as a ruck forward? Seems to have averaged just under a goal a game (at a quick glance at his stats). Or was he what you would expect a young, inexperienced, raw, athletic big man to be?

Port clearly need another big KPF who can ruck. Todd and Mitch are second tall types and shouldn’t be in the ruck. Dixon is actually a good ruck but his forward craft is poor now and he can barely run. Finlayson is a handy third tall and a good ruck but hasn’t been putting in this year at all. Lord is still very raw and needs to work on his consistency and athleticism.

Maybe a forward line with Ratugolea deep and rotating with Soldo/Sweet/Visentini and Georgiades and Marshall playing slightly higher up would work?

Use BZT, Alir, Bergs, Jones and McKenzie in the backline.

Lets us play another runner, rather than the four tall forwards.

Finlayson and Marshall injury is perfect chance to play him forward.

Doesn’t really matter if he gets in Dixons way as he barely moves anyway.

Esava back into the 22 this week. It looks like the arse covering selection policy continues. It is as if Hinkley, Davies & co. are saying, 'we traded for this player so he has to play, to do other wise would be to admit we made a mistake in recruiting him'.

Would it be pushing the limit to hope that Ken might do something radical and play Ratugolea up forward ? We will be missing Todd Marshall and Finlayson so Esava's height might be worth a try up forward with the bonus that he will not be getting in the way down back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Welcome to Port Adelaide Esava Ratugolea, Finally

Remove this Banner Ad

Back