Player Watch Welcome to Port Adelaide Jordon Sweet

Remove this Banner Ad

Injuries happen. Having other options also gives us the ability to not run Sweet into the ground.

Visentini showed last night that he is still very raw.

Having Soldo as a back up in such a non-issue.
Its a big issue for him if he thinks he is a number 1 ruck.

Its a big issue for Visentini if he thinks he is behind two other blokes.

Its also an issue for us if we have 500k+ in salary cap and potential draft capital sitting in the SANFL.

There is no point hoarding rucks in this comp. You only need 1 fit ruck.

He's a solid albeit unspectacular ruck. But that is a huge upgrade on what Port have had the last few seasons. Looked great last night against the second gamer Reidy. Should do well against Stanley and Blicavs next week as well.

I don't look at the ruck spot as a position where any team is going to pants Port in the finals this season - and that's a pretty important fact given what has happened in past finals series.

The Soldo Trade was necessary. You couldn't have just a 20 year old kid and someone who had only played a dozen AFL games as your only rucks.

But we probably gave away too much for Soldo. But I wouldn't have said that after Rd 11. Soldo started the season playing well for us and Sweet struggled. But Jordan has taken on the responsibility as the main man with great style.
Yea I get it but I think you’re underselling Sweets CV to that point, he would’ve played more league footy if it wasn’t for English he was essentially turnkey

My beef is that we pretty much just said to Richmond what will it take and paid overs for a player who is producing the same as what Sweet is that’s all hindsight and all that

Its a big issue for him if he thinks he is a number 1 ruck.

Its a big issue for Visentini if he thinks he is behind two other blokes.

Its also an issue for us if we have 500k+ in salary cap and potential draft capital sitting in the SANFL.

There is no point hoarding rucks in this comp. You only need 1 fit ruck.

Visentini is young as hell. There's nothing to indicate that he's getting impatient.

I would normally say that but Visentini played this week.

The coaching staff must be very keen on him.
Visentini was sent to Perth with the expectation that he wasn't going to play.

We instead opted to have Ivan Soldo playing a full game going into Finals, while Dante sat and watched. Dante was a late addition to the side when Dixon got sick.

The Freo game is like when Dante got the "come along for the away game experience" trip to the Melbourne and Lycett pulled out in the warm up. The preferred back up option is the one we went into the weekend planning to give a full game.

Visentini was sent to Perth with the expectation that he wasn't going to play.

We instead opted to have Ivan Soldo playing a full game going into Finals, while Dante sat and watched. Dante was a late addition to the side when Dixon got sick.

The Freo game is like when Dante got the "come along for the away game experience" trip to the Melbourne and Lycett pulled out in the warm up. The preferred back up option is the one we went into the weekend planning to give a full game.
I never personally get the play them in the reserves for a full game instead of in the ones. I mean they are professional athletes. They should be able to play a game. I think people overthink it.

The Soldo Trade was necessary. You couldn't have just a 20 year old kid and someone who had only played a dozen AFL games as your only rucks.

But we probably gave away too much for Soldo. But I wouldn't have said that after Rd 11. Soldo started the season playing well for us and Sweet struggled. But Jordan has taken on the responsibility as the main man with great style.

The consensus at the time was keeping Hayes to fulfil Soldo's current role though.

But yeah unless the AFL changes its rule to let dual rucks TagTeam at stoppages (like Lade/Brogan used to), I think 2x dinoasaur rucks in the same side is dead.

The consensus at the time was keeping Hayes to fulfil Soldo's current role though.

But yeah unless the AFL changes its rule to let dual rucks TagTeam at stoppages (like Lade/Brogan used to), I think 2x dinoasaur rucks in the same side is dead.
Hayes was getting delisted from mid 2023. The selectors refused to pick him whenever a ruck opening happened.

It was a consensus on the Port Big Footy Board, not the Port Footy Department.

Visentini is young as hell. There's nothing to indicate that he's getting impatient.

Dantes lot is a pretty happy one I think.

He's had just enough games to know where he is at and he would be fully aware after the Freo game he's a fair way to go before he demands a spot.

A goal, a couple great hand balls and his tap work was great but the Freo game showed he still needs that pre-season and physical development.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I never personally get the play them in the reserves for a full game instead of in the ones. I mean they are professional athletes. They should be able to play a game. I think people overthink it.
You've missed my point in with the ruck discussion.

With Soldo it wasn't a choice of play a full game in the reserves or in the ones. It was play a full game in the reserves, or not play at all.

When making the selections for the final rounds, they decided that Dante Visentini would not a play a game this weekend.

That clearly indicates that Sweet is number 1, Soldo is number 2 and Dante is third banana.

Its not quite the same as Narkle, who probably could've been given a full game in the AFL instead of dropping him to the SANFL if we though he needed more of a run.

You've missed my point in with the ruck discussion.

With Soldo it wasn't a choice of play a full game in the reserves or in the ones. It was play a full game in the reserves, or not play at all.

When making the selections for the final rounds, they decided that Dante Visentini would not a play a game this weekend.

That clearly indicates that Sweet is number 1, Soldo is number 2 and Dante is third banana.

Its not quite the same as Narkle, who probably could've been given a full game in the AFL instead of dropping him to the SANFL if we though he needed more of a run.
I just watched the replay so it is making sense.

He's a solid albeit unspectacular ruck. But that is a huge upgrade on what Port have had the last few seasons. Looked great last night against the second gamer Reidy. Should do well against Stanley and Blicavs next week as well.

I don't look at the ruck spot as a position where any team is going to pants Port in the finals this season - and that's a pretty important fact given what has happened in past finals series.
Plug 2024 Sweet into 2020 Lycett's spot, even just for a quarter, and there's a decent chance we win the flag that year.

Now how we make two dinosaur rucks work, I have no idea.
We don't.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Welcome to Port Adelaide Jordon Sweet

Remove this Banner Ad

Back