Universal Love Welcome to Richmond Adem Yze

Remove this Banner Ad

Premiership coach Adam Simpson, who won a Grand Final on his opponent's home ground with 2 of his best players missing in 2018 - terrific effort, went through a similar period of injury induced instability with his team and it almost broke him. From memory the Eagles had to give him some time off for his own good. In contrast Yze is remaining calm and positive and in good humour to this point. Our team was winning good praise from the commentators for large parts of the match yesterday.

We were playing Carlton with half our best team missing and no continuity or stability at all in our team. We lost by 10 goals 1 behind. A week earlier Carlton had beaten a near full strength and very stable Geelong(who are in the 8 at present) by 10 goals 3 behinds. So they are in some serious form post their bye.

Yze is not "too scared" to drop players, that is well established already. He is merely trying to maintain the greatest degree of stability possible within the team in order for the players to get whatever continuity they can. Criticisim of Yze at this point is laughable, the bloke has not even had a semblance of a chance to implement anything with any degree of success. If we had appointed a coach with what I call a winner's mentality, he would be broken by now. Yze's relaxed demeanour will only be helping the players at this point.

Last edited:
The game plan is dire as they come.

1. Kick in short
2. Long kick down the line
3 ???
4. Profit

Best case we get a boundary throw in on the wing. More likely case is an intercept mark or opposition sharks it at ground level.

Most boring football to watch. Rather get pumped by 90 points every game and show some dash and dare than this absolute tripe.
100% this combined with a preoccupation with utilising the boundary line, being as conservative as possible, and a reluctance to handball. The only plan 'b' I've seen is that we do like to switch the play from one side to another after winning a turnover on the half-back line.

I 100% respect that Adem has a lot of challenges (i.e. transitioning a post-dynasty list, an unbelievable amount of injuries, and being a first-year coach), but the game plan is awful and outdated. I honestly am not judging Adem on wins and losses, and I fully support giving him a lot more time, but I am not encouraged by the way we are playing. I’m truly hoping that this is just phase one out of a larger tactical plan that will be employed in later years.

He still needs to realise certain players that are not up to it. He has only dropped Kmac from the senior players
That’s a bull dust cop out statement supporting his incompetence with the MC. He’s stuck in the past that he’s going to end up in as far back as 1990.
Our "best 22" will deliver us a spoon. Surely, brutal culling of the list follows. Sadly I don't think there's any interest in Short, Graham, Kmac.

But our couple of trades will get us more heavily into the next couple of drafts.

gunna be some changes next couple of years

OUT: Prestia the pure mid, plus maybe Baker, Bolton, Graham, Martin, from the midfield/forward line.

plus Dow the pure mid?

Other list changes;
Retire
Grimes, Naismith.
Delist
Smith, Cumberland, Coulthard, Green Kmac?
Trade
Short

Game plan is dire as they come.

1. Kick in short
2. Long kick down the line
3 ???
4. Profit

Best case we get a boundary throw in on the wing. More likely case is an intercept mark or opposition sharks it at ground level.

Most boring football to watch. Rather get pumped by 90 points every game and show some dash and dare than this absolute tripe.

It’s nothing like what was described during the pre season, turns out it’s just a more horrible Melbourne brand of football with lesser skilled players and even more dreadful big men

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

100% this combined with a preoccupation with utilising the boundary line, being as conservative as possible, and a reluctance to handball. The only plan 'b' I've seen is that we do like to switch the play from one side to another after winning a turnover on the half-back line.

I 100% respect that Adem has a lot of challenges (i.e. transitioning a post-dynasty list, an unbelievable amount of injuries, and being a first-year coach), but the game plan is awful and outdated. I honestly am not judging Adem on wins and losses, and I fully support giving him a lot more time, but I am not encouraged by the way we are playing. I’m truly hoping that this is just phase one out of a larger tactical plan that will be employed in later years.

Any game plan the team could have employed this year would have looked terrible with all the instability. You see it all the time, our player gets a mark 80m from goal, looks up, delivers to position x, but the receiving player has run to position y. That is just time playing together needed to fix that.

When he came in he made some big moves:
Baker, our best defensive BP went to midfield.
Bolton our quickest midfielder went forward.
An aging Dusty went from predominantly forward to midfield.
Why?! We had already tried and tested this. I was hoping he would just try this for a few weeks before he realized the error of his ways and then put them back in their best positions. But no, he continues to persist with this dumb shit.

Why?! We had already tried and tested this. I was hoping he would just try this for a few weeks before he realized the error of his ways and then put them back in their best positions. But no, he continues to persist with this dumb shit.
cos hes got no clue

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like Dusty mid personally he’s statistically out best inside 50 kick. He seems invisible when he’s permanently forward.

But yeah the rest is dumb.

We have no gameplan.

We have no system to move the ball

We have no system in how/where to kick inside 50

We have no system to force turnover

We have no defensive system

What has hurt us as much as the injuries is that the support coaches like Rutten and Teague had contracts that we decided not to pay out, so essentially Adem moves into Hardwicks bed and had no ability to make his own bed with his own coaches.

This off season will be huge. If we dont allow Adem to higher his own coaches to instruct the list his way completely we will be ****ed.

The good, it is fixable and all Adem needs to show me next year, with a full preseason with his coaches is his method and if it stacks up. if it does not, I will be happy to allow him time to readjust to see if he is a senior coach.

Alot of the blame for this mess, outside of injury should be on the admin of the club that allowed this scenario to happen. Allowed the off season from hell to be done, that broke half our list, allowed Rutten and Teague to be allowed to much of a say in how things should be done and Adem being to polite to push back and do it his way.

I guess selling bricks was more important.

Just my random thoughts

But is it the game plan?
I'm not sure, but I can understand with the lack of continuity and the players confidence shot that they may be going into their shell a bit, not taking the game on and sticking to the game plan.
Yze is also learning about the team and may change things, but that never easy mid season and would be particularly hard to do with a young group of players (and a few dumb senior players!!)
We need to just relax a bit, this season is what it is. Get some new young talent in, see what other list changes are made and see what Yze does next year with another preseason and hopefully a better run of injuries

We have no gameplan.

We have no system to move the ball

We have no system in how/where to kick inside 50

We have no system to force turnover

We have no defensive system

What has hurt us as much as the injuries is that the support coaches like Rutten and Teague had contracts that we decided not to pay out, so essentially Adem moves into Hardwicks bed and had no ability to make his own bed with his own coaches.

This off season will be huge. If we dont allow Adem to higher his own coaches to instruct the list his way completely we will be ****ed.

The good, it is fixable and all Adem needs to show me next year, with a full preseason with his coaches is his method and if it stacks up. if it does not, I will be happy to allow him time to readjust to see if he is a senior coach.

Alot of the blame for this mess, outside of injury should be on the admin of the club that allowed this scenario to happen. Allowed the off season from hell to be done, that broke half our list, allowed Rutten and Teague to be allowed to much of a say in how things should be done and Adem being to polite to push back and do it his way.

I guess selling bricks was more important.

Just my random thoughts
Well said and it’s great that people can see some of the issues that have crept into club. I mentioned from day one that he needed a clean sheet of assistants and got laughed at as usual. I really think Yze as you say has been controlled by Teague and Rutten and not been able to naturally evolve as a coach, but until they are gone we still maybe wrong.

If Dimma is sacked in 2020, he has his contract still to complete doesn't he?

He could of gone down the path of unfair dismissal as well so industrially that opens a can of worms for the club.

I'd be stunned if in his contract there wasn't a clause around professional behaviour, standards etc. You cannot pay a guy $1m a year to lead a bunch of elite young men & have him sleeping with the younger marketing girl on work trips while he is still taking his wife out to company banquets a few months earlier. And if we had to buy him out then we should have been able to negotiation a favourable outcome considering the circumstances. Doubt he would have wanted a messy break up in both his work & private life being played out in the media for all to pick through.

If he took the club for unfair dismissal than whatever - proves more he needed to go. Not how a strong leader takes accountability for their own actions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back