Toast Welcome to St.Kilda - MATTAES PHILLIPOU!!

Remove this Banner Ad

I get De Goey vibes from him (Play style). Tall, powerful player. Long as he stays injury free, he will be great for us.

Hopefully that doesn't extend to his off field exploits as well.

He seems more like Pendlebury to me with his penetrating left foot and overhead marking ability, if he's as good as him we will have done very well.

Already friends with NWM which should help.

I'd house him with Hayes to start with too. The guy is a WWT legend. That connection should help him settle in.
Highmore seems a switched on type too

Lets just hope, that a American League football team, doesn't come trying to lure him away, with a mega money offer to be 'A Punter'
He's got that vibe???

SA COACH PROVIDES INSIGHT INTO WHAT COULD BE PHILLIPOU'S “BIGGEST CHALLENGE” AT AFL LEVEL​

South Australia under-18 coach Tony Bamford has provided an insight into the drive of Mattaes Phillipou, saying the draft prospect is a “young man in a hurry”.

Phillipou shapes as the best SA prospect available in this year’s draft pool, as well as one of the most confident.

The 17-year-old also has one of the highest upsides of all his peers, showcasing a number of skills in his underage footy that will make him a dangerous AFL player.

Bamford says Phillipou’s size and attributes make him a tasty prospect for any AFL team.

“Mattaes is classified as a tall mid, 192cms and still growing, he’ll probably end up with a couple more centimetres and five to eight kilograms heavier than what he is now after a couple of years in the AFL system,” he said on SEN SA’s The Run Home.

“I think the attractive thing for Mattaes is he’s equally as good in the air as he is at ground level, he’s got a beautiful left foot and he’s not just a pure inside mid, he can actually win the ball on the outside as well.

“I think that’s really appealing to AFL clubs.”

But it’s Phillipou’s personality and self-belief that also shape as his biggest attributes.

Bamford hinted at the midfielder’s competitiveness and drive being strong assets for when he enters an AFL environment, but holds a question mark over how he’ll accept his place in an AFL club.

“He’s a very driven and goal-focused young man, probably more so than anyone I’ve ever experienced in my time here,” Bamford admitted.

“At times this year you almost had to say, ‘hey mate, it’s okay, just settle down a bit, things will happen in good time’.

“He’s a young man that’s in a hurry.

“His biggest challenge – I think – next year in the AFL system will be waiting for his turn to play. He’ll walk in there, he’ll train really hard and get the respect of his teammates, he might have to start in the VFL… and that will test him out because he’ll want to play Round 1.”

Bamford added: “It doesn’t really matter where he lands, Mattaes will adapt to the environment and put his best foot forward”.

Phillipou’s age also gives him plenty of upside, given he’s only five days off being eligible for the 2023 draft and the growth forecast by Bamford. He averaged 33 disposals and 3.3 shots on goal per game in the SANFL under 18s and has been heavily linked to Essendon’s pick 5, the earliest he’s likely to go on Monday night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've picked a doosy with this kid, he wants to be a 1 club man

"I've always been a guy that's wanted to go to one club and have a long career there,” Phillipou said.

“I've studied Kobe Bryant and Michael Jordan quite heavily coming through, being a basketball guy, looking at those two characters they're very loyal and that's how I aspire to be like with whichever club I get drafted to.

He may be figjammy, but in the 4.5 mins of interviews I've watched if him he speaks with a hell of a lot of insight and wisdom beyond what you'd expect of a 17yo.

Having stalked the @phillipou_sports insta, I do have a tiiiiny little concern how much his dad/inner circle may get involved, particularly if he's not breaking into the side or things aren't going his way or whatever. But he is exactly what we've been crying out for, I hope for his sake just as much as ours he fulfills his potential because his drive is certainly impressive.

Instant fave

SA COACH PROVIDES INSIGHT INTO WHAT COULD BE PHILLIPOU'S “BIGGEST CHALLENGE” AT AFL LEVEL​

South Australia under-18 coach Tony Bamford has provided an insight into the drive of Mattaes Phillipou, saying the draft prospect is a “young man in a hurry”.

Phillipou shapes as the best SA prospect available in this year’s draft pool, as well as one of the most confident.

The 17-year-old also has one of the highest upsides of all his peers, showcasing a number of skills in his underage footy that will make him a dangerous AFL player.

Bamford says Phillipou’s size and attributes make him a tasty prospect for any AFL team.

“Mattaes is classified as a tall mid, 192cms and still growing, he’ll probably end up with a couple more centimetres and five to eight kilograms heavier than what he is now after a couple of years in the AFL system,” he said on SEN SA’s The Run Home.

“I think the attractive thing for Mattaes is he’s equally as good in the air as he is at ground level, he’s got a beautiful left foot and he’s not just a pure inside mid, he can actually win the ball on the outside as well.

“I think that’s really appealing to AFL clubs.”

But it’s Phillipou’s personality and self-belief that also shape as his biggest attributes.

Bamford hinted at the midfielder’s competitiveness and drive being strong assets for when he enters an AFL environment, but holds a question mark over how he’ll accept his place in an AFL club.

“He’s a very driven and goal-focused young man, probably more so than anyone I’ve ever experienced in my time here,” Bamford admitted.

“At times this year you almost had to say, ‘hey mate, it’s okay, just settle down a bit, things will happen in good time’.

“He’s a young man that’s in a hurry.

“His biggest challenge – I think – next year in the AFL system will be waiting for his turn to play. He’ll walk in there, he’ll train really hard and get the respect of his teammates, he might have to start in the VFL… and that will test him out because he’ll want to play Round 1.”

Bamford added: “It doesn’t really matter where he lands, Mattaes will adapt to the environment and put his best foot forward”.

Phillipou’s age also gives him plenty of upside, given he’s only five days off being eligible for the 2023 draft and the growth forecast by Bamford. He averaged 33 disposals and 3.3 shots on goal per game in the SANFL under 18s and has been heavily linked to Essendon’s pick 5, the earliest he’s likely to go on Monday night.
A young Brendan Goddard was the same. Perfect to have him as a mentor.

“I've studied Kobe Bryant and Michael Jordan quite heavily coming through, being a basketball guy, looking at those two characters they're very loyal and that's how I aspire to be like with whichever club I get drafted to.
All he has to do is win us 1 tiny lil premiership and he becomes a Jordan/Kobe like immortal to hundreds of thousands of Saints fans. Simples

Just watching his highlights, he looks like a great overhead mark and kicks it an absolute mile. Could start off as a very dangerous forward and turn into anything. Absolutely pinching myself that we landed him, he's possibly the most exciting player in the whole draft and seems like a fantastic kid. Unbelievable luck that we just snuck into the prime part of the draft.

Seems like he has his head screwed on right, and he's getting to the club at the right time with a new coaching staff and all the magnets off the whiteboard.

I'm sure he thinks he can play 25 games next year and who's to say he can't? Windy and Nas played a lot of games this year. Set him the task of putting his name up for the round 1 side and see how close he gets.

Just watching his highlights, he looks like a great overhead mark and kicks it an absolute mile. Could start off as a very dangerous forward and turn into anything. Absolutely pinching myself that we landed him, he's possibly the most exciting player in the whole draft and seems like a fantastic kid. Unbelievable luck that we just snuck into the prime part of the draft.

Yeah so lucky tbh, if we'd ended up with Hollands I would have been ropeable.

Seems like he has his head screwed on right, and he's getting to the club at the right time with a new coaching staff and all the magnets off the whiteboard.

I'm sure he thinks he can play 25 games next year and who's to say he can't? Windy and Nas played a lot of games this year. Set him the task of putting his name up for the round 1 side and see how close he gets.
He'll be spewing if he's not playing round 1

Everything I have watched he seems to be self confident not cocky. I love that he looks down the camera or into eyes and talks with real comfort in himself. Taking kids with neurotic tendencies and self esteem issues keeps you out of the papers for off field incidents but takes you out of them for your on field performances too.

This guy has the right temperament to be a star. Just need the game to match the attitude now.
His confident in front of the camera is quite staggering. He may instantly be our best media performer - miles ahead of guys like Billings, King, even the captain.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Welcome to St.Kilda - MATTAES PHILLIPOU!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back