Welcome to the Bulldogs Arthur Jones

Remove this Banner Ad

Is your perception of his playing style just based on his race and build? If you want to limit his comparisons to indigenous players then I would have thought that Brad Hill might be the better example.
You were right Scrag. Arthur played more of a wing role and didn't look out of place.
Plenty of speed, skill and confidence. Not a bad start to his Dogs career.

KM

View attachment 1333159

Can’t wait for this bloke to make the wing his own.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
We've been crying out for a legit second winger for years. Roarke has a done a reasonable impression last year and we've tried to shoehorn Louis Butler into a wing role but Arty seems to have all the tools except body strength, which will come with a few extra pre-seasons. I'm on the bandwagon.

We've been crying out for a legit second winger for years. Roarke has a done a reasonable impression last year and we've tried to shoehorn Louis Butler into a wing role but Arty seems to have all the tools except body strength, which will come with a few extra pre-seasons. I'm on the bandwagon.

We have been wanting a more offensively damaging wing for a while; Hunter is a workhorse between the arcs but he's not great delivering inside 50 and Roarke is better as a wing that rolls into defence as a spare. Roarke isn't shabby heading forward and does some clever stuff but Jones genuinely has some silk.

We have been wanting a more offensively damaging wing for a while; Hunter is a workhorse between the arcs but he's not great delivering inside 50 and Roarke is better as a wing that rolls into defence as a spare. Roarke isn't shabby heading forward and does some clever stuff but Jones genuinely has some silk.
Yep - and Arty's little sidestep then beautiful kick to JJ suggests that if we want a running player to play the high HF role who can cover a decent amount of ground (the way Bailey Smith & JJ have been playing at times) that Arty could play that role quite well. Quite a lot to work with there and off-field the kid's a beauty too.

Yep - and Arty's little sidestep then beautiful kick to JJ suggests that if we want a running player to play the high HF role who can cover a decent amount of ground (the way Bailey Smith & JJ have been playing at times) that Arty could play that role quite well. Quite a lot to work with there and off-field the kid's a beauty too.
That passage / kick was a heckin' delight. :hearteyes:

Perfect little sidestep, enought to get clearance from the player, but not so much to throw himself off balance, then a perfectly weighted lofted ball over the defender which had no chance, all in pretty quick time.

Sploosh.

His running style reminded me of a prime Lewis Jetta/Stephen Hill, just gliding across the grass. Was really happy with his tank though, yes he didn't play the full game but in his limited time he was bobbing up in the back pocket a minute after running into our FWD50.

His running style reminded me of a prime Lewis Jetta/Stephen Hill, just gliding across the grass. Was really happy with his tank though, yes he didn't play the full game but in his limited time he was bobbing up in the back pocket a minute after running into our FWD50.
I agree He remains me a lot like Stephen Hill

I thought he played a lot like Brad. He played a key role off the wing as a skinny 19 year old in the Hawks dynasty so hey maybe it's not out of the realms of possibility that he could actually contribute this season.
One things for sure he will be a great player for us and I am excited

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hope Jones has a big preseason, was strange last year as he killed it in the AFL praccy game but probably got progressively worse a VFL level as the year went on tbh. I think he might be one of those types that players better at the higher level so I’d like to just give him a game early and see how he goes

Hope Jones has a big preseason, was strange last year as he killed it in the AFL praccy game but probably got progressively worse a VFL level as the year went on tbh. I think he might be one of those types that players better at the higher level so I’d like to just give him a game early and see how he goes
I hope our VFL team in general improve. We were very poor for most of the season. Hard for most players to develop with little support around them, or being forced out of position due to lack of depth etc. I think his main issue is not finding enough of the ball. He looks lively and does some decent things with it at times when he has it.

Jones is probably someone that will lift at a higher level, also can't deny that Footscray was s**t for the majority of the season and he needed more support out there.
It also seems the aspect of his game he needs to work on is something that can be improved with training (picking up the ground ball).
Lachie Neill went from 'ok' to 'the best in the country' at it through training and repetition alone.

He might be a little bit of a slow burn while he adds enough size and strength to compete at VFL/AFL level. Started way behind the 8-ball on that front.

It’s a big physical step up from WA Colts to VFL, let alone AFL.

I hope I'm wrong but I am a little concerned about Arty. I haven't watched a heap of VFL footy, but from what I saw, I haven't seen someone this far off the pace at VFL level in a while. It's a big gap to bridge. Clearly has some elite attributes so I'm hopeful he turns it around. Would really help to have someone with his athleticism and speed in the AFL side.

I hope I'm wrong but I am a little concerned about Arty. I haven't watched a heap of VFL footy, but from what I saw, I haven't seen someone this far off the pace at VFL level in a while. It's a big gap to bridge. Clearly has some elite attributes so I'm hopeful he turns it around. Would really help to have someone with his athleticism and speed in the AFL side.
I don't think he has the game awareness and footy smarts for the wing at AFL level yet. There is a spot in the side for him yet he will need to bulk up in the preseason and make tackling and gut running his main goal.

We need a pacy forward, like Fredricks for Freo. They are quick and can cover the ground, gut running from deep defence to attack.. I think that would be his best role for the side next year and its something we lack. West and Weightman are burst players. Jones can run, its natural with him, build his strength and his stamina and he has a role. I think he has more talent than a lot of our list and will rise at a higher level yet I agree he always can look really lost at the VFL level and structures.

It’s strange though because his start to the year was fantastic, only a praccy of course but he looked great against the Bombers and I almost had him in the team round 1 because of how at home he looked. Then he was good in the VFL for a while and was so close to playing, was named EMG a number of times from memory and really could have easily been given a game at that stage. Then dropped right off and looked completely lost after that.

I’m confident his start to the year is more what we can expect from him

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome to the Bulldogs Arthur Jones

Remove this Banner Ad

Back