Welcome to the Club pick 46 Western Bulldogs Caleb Daniel

Remove this Banner Ad

Good point. If valid, this would potentially apply to all f/s picks, making it a double whammy (inflated expectations due to them being father-sons + advanced coaching and mentoring as a junior).
Tom Hawkins was a long way off in his conditioning when he came into the system. (Aka carrying a lot of puppy fat)
So it's not the type of thing that always holds true.

Our bigger draft busts in recent years played SANFL (Howard & Fuller).
Our most exciting mids played u18s (Bonti & Macrae), with Stringer playing VFL.

I'm not sure it makes that much difference - we draft on potential far more than performance.

Fuller was mature age, Howard didn't play SANFL.

SA & WA kids seem to get more opportunity to play seniors than Vics so you couldn't make it a pre-requisite but I think if they've done it and done it well then it's a tick in their column

I will not be silenced. Caleb is going to be a star and I'll rub it in to anyone wearing navy blue.

Liam Jones for Caleb Daniel? yes please.
We all agree with you haha

Just a bit of trivia that could be a very good omen. Brent Harvey, exactly the same height as Daniel, was also drafted at No 46 in 1995. If the latter could be any where near as successful as the former, we have a great player for a very long time!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You could tattoo 'SECOND EFFORTS' on Jones' forehead and even with the amount of time he would spend in front of a mirror, he'd still never amount to anything.

Caleb ftfw. Somebody give me a good reason not to buy a #35 guernsey.

You could tattoo 'SECOND EFFORTS' on Jones' forehead and even with the amount of time he would spend in front of a mirror, he'd still never amount to anything.

Caleb ftfw. Somebody give me a good reason not to buy a #35 guernsey.
You just like him cause he's short :p

Why? We could have kept flogging the dead horse but instead we chose to take a gamble on a very promising kid with our last active pick.
Jones needed help in the forward line he wasn't a number one

With Boyd coming in he wouldn't have been number one so would have been better

Daniel won't make it pure and simple I've said why and yes height is a major factor

Daniel won't make it pure and simple I've said why and yes height is a major factor

I don't agree with you about Daniel (I reckon someone with his skills will always be in with a shot) but I do agree that Jones is a major loss. With Boyd in now he would have been let loose a bit. I think he's our biggest out this off season behind Griffen.

Problem is with another big body in the forward line where does jones fit?

Boyd would ideally be close to goal so do we put jones up the ground where his horrible field kicking and general lack of two-way pressure makes him a liability? Or do we have him close to goal and worry about his lack of a football brain causing him to get in the way?

Don't mention that one season he played with hall - people tend to overrate his performance there based purely on contested marking stats. His output otherwise wasn't much of an improvement on his usual form.

Being a South Aussie myself I've kept an eye on Daniel in the sanfl and I'm not as ready to write him off as you are. In fact to say he won't make it "pure and simple" based on your limited exposure to him speaks volumes of your mindset. It's easy to sit behind a keyboard and bitch and moan but harder to analyse evidence and form an opinion from that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome to the Club pick 46 Western Bulldogs Caleb Daniel

Remove this Banner Ad

Back