Toast Welcome to the club, Rory Lobb

Remove this Banner Ad

I do think this will be a pretty underrated acquisition. Our ruck situation when English was off the field was absolutely diabolical. He now has a genuine support partner that should actually get on top of most opposition backup rucks with the ability to be a multiple goalkicker each week.

He also gets the added benefit of playing with Naughton and not getting the number 1 defender next year. We desperately need a good forwards coach to allow these key forwards to function effectively together.

I do think this will be a pretty underrated acquisition. Our ruck situation when English was off the field was absolutely diabolical. He now has a genuine support partner that should actually get on top of most opposition backup rucks with the ability to be a multiple goalkicker each week.

He also gets the added benefit of playing with Naughton and not getting the number 1 defender next year. We desperately need a good forwards coach to allow these key forwards to function effectively together.

Lade’s been a forward coach. Hopefully he has some good ideas.

If he can stand under the high balls and let Naughton get a running jump it should help our forward 50 efficiency significantly

Genuine question for those who've had the Lobbotomy, i.e. those who've been watching Lobb's games:

If English misses 7 games again in 2023 (concussion or whatever) can Lobb be the #1 ruck over such a lengthy period, rucking say 75% of the time?
If not, what's the plan? Sweet to carry the #1 role while Lobb continues as fwd/ruck?

Genuine question for those who've had the Lobbotomy, i.e. those who've been watching Lobb's games:

If English misses 7 games again in 2023 (concussion or whatever) can Lobb be the #1 ruck over such a lengthy period, rucking say 75% of the time?
If not, what's the plan? Sweet to carry the #1 role while Lobb continues as fwd/ruck?
Noooo he cannot, I doubt Bev sees it this way and I suspect that’s how he would go but he’s really not great in the ruck. He’s good compared to most forward/rucks but that’s not hard, he should never play as the number one.

Absolutely should be Sweet who has shown he can handle the task and fill a role when required, with Lobbs role not changing at all

If that happens I’d rather see us just use Sweet for what he’s on the list for and not change our forward line, but I have no confidence Bev wouldn’t move Lobb into the ruck and bring in Bruce.

He hates playing ruck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Or, conversely, Naughton gets the no 2 defender and breaks the all time AFL record for contested marks in a H&A season

I was curious and looked up the record.

Travis Cloke with 96 in 2011 at an average of 3.80 per game. That is absolutely absurd.
That’s what an NFL catchers glove will do for you. Listened to a podcast recently discussing this. The benefits with marking whilst wearing it were absurd

Lade’s been a forward coach. Hopefully he has some good ideas.

I know it's more complicated than "just give each other space inside 50 to lead into". But maybe not much more.

Put on every Geelong game from this season and tell Naughton and Lobb to watch Cameron and Hawkins. Then tell Cody to stop watching those two and focus on what Stengle does.

Having Lobb, Naughton and JUH is potentially great, but the small forwards will need to up their game significantly from a defensive perspective as well as crumbing.

I'm pretty excited about this one TBH.

Lobb was almost certainly the most balanced forward/ruck in the league this past season. He is a threatening high-ball presence and a very capable tap ruckman who can follow up his work. His output is not sensational, but it is valuable in either part of the ground.

His acquisition will allow:
  • Naughton and JUH to get on their bikes much more frequently, making it harder for opposition defenders to keep them stationary, without compromising all forward structure.
  • Us to more safely go for the high-ball entries under pressure with a genuine high-ball threat, without compromising Naughton's remarkable ability as third-man up.
  • English to better run out games and be more preserved for crucial moments.
  • Us to have a better plan B in the ruck when the game conditions demand more clearance dominance rather than more mobility through the middle of the ground.
  • Greater use of English's flexibility as a forward, ruck, or defender without losing our only competent ruckman.
All going well, this is a 'greater than the sum of its parts' acquisition. Rory Lobb is a solid if unspectacular player who should be pure gold for us structurally.

I'm pretty excited about this one TBH.

Lobb was almost certainly the most balanced forward/ruck in the league this past season. He is a threatening high-ball presence and a very capable tap ruckman who can follow up his work. His output is not sensational, but it is valuable in either part of the ground.

His acquisition will allow:
  • Naughton and JUH to get on their bikes much more frequently, making it harder for opposition defenders to keep them stationary, without compromising all forward structure.
  • Us to more safely go for the high-ball entries under pressure with a genuine high-ball threat, without compromising Naughton's remarkable ability as third-man up.
  • English to better run out games and be more preserved for crucial moments.
  • Us to have a better plan B in the ruck when the game conditions demand more clearance dominance rather than more mobility through the middle of the ground.
  • Greater use of English's flexibility as a forward, ruck, or defender without losing our only competent ruckman.
All going well, this is a 'greater than the sum of its parts' acquisition. Rory Lobb is a solid if unspectacular player who should be pure gold for us structurally.
Put it this way. If Lobb has a good game it means he's kick 3+ goals. Compare that to Dunks and he would have had 25+ possies along with 5 other rovers in our team. The impact Lobb offers is game-changing. Literally.

I'll be honest, ever since sitting in the stands of the 16 prelim when he went full p@@@y mode and ducked the shoulders to drop the uncontested mark over the boundary line on the wing, I've never really warmed to him. Now he wears the RWB... I f@@kin love him. Gun.

Weightman looks alright, although I find the sleeves on him look too loose. Naughton is a bit better but I reckon with Lobb's rig they'll look outstanding.
I would love to see a long sleeve forward trio of Lobb, Naughton & Bruce for one game. We got Naughton & Bruce together in the long sleeves for a single game last season.

All we need now is for Bruce to get back into shape and have a good pre-season. Will provide ample cover if one of the forwards drop in form or are injured. Guarantees we have 3 big units up front all year. If JUH can take the next development step forward and Naughton continues to get stronger as his body matures we will have the forward line marking power unmatched in the comp. It will give the Demons lauded backline serious nightmares. Especially if we from time to time dump Darcy up there as well.

After years of not having any tall targets the Bulldogs recruit freak 207cm power forward / ruck …………

and he isn’t even the first or second tallest player on our list ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back