Toast Welcome to the club, Rory Lobb

Remove this Banner Ad

Rory Lobb redemption arc.

The impressive thing is he is prepared to play anywhere for the team.
Exactly DRB. For all the individual accolades that go with the game, it is ultimately a team game, and team players do what they can, where they can, when they can to the best of their ability with maximum application for the benefit and success of the team.

Lobby is thoroughly deserving of his spot on a contribution and example basis.

Others have said it, but I'll reiterate:
  • he's a good contested, as well as intercepting, mark. And usually taller than most in the contest.
  • his spoil stats, but also where he directs them, tells me he knows what he's doing. Maybe should have played back his entire career!
  • his ability to kick 55-60m is better than all our other KPD or third talls, so can gain territory with a defensive roost when required. Or kick.long down the line, without the heart in mouth of a Keath, Gardner or even the odd occasion Jones kicking short to a running option to try to generate run and carry.
  • is prepared to play back, or anywhere, if that's what is required (hello Brian Lake... and Tim English!).

Is a decent golfer, and working through coaching accreditation. The first point means nothing but as a hack golfer myself, adds to his likeability 😄, while the coaching pathway indicates he's settled into a likely career, and possibly realising his remaining time in the game is short, so needs to get the best out of himself at each career stage.

I agree gj79, maybe this is a new sense of commitment and purpose in Rory's life especially taking on a coaching role with our girls.
Fantastic Rory and hope it all goes well.

Others have said it, but I'll reiterate:
  • he's a good contested, as well as intercepting, mark. And usually taller than most in the contest.
  • his spoil stats, but also where he directs them, tells me he knows what he's doing. Maybe should have played back his entire career!
  • his ability to kick 55-60m is better than all our other KPD or third talls, so can gain territory with a defensive roost when required. Or kick.long down the line, without the heart in mouth of a Keath, Gardner or even the odd occasion Jones kicking short to a running option to try to generate run and carry.
  • is prepared to play back, or anywhere, if that's what is required (hello Brian Lake... and Tim English!).

Is a decent golfer, and working through coaching accreditation. The first point means nothing but as a hack golfer myself, adds to his likeability 😄, while the coaching pathway indicates he's settled into a likely career, and possibly realising his remaining time in the game is short, so needs to get the best out of himself at each career stage.
Still only a small sample size but he is looking the goods. I would add, Mature body that isn’t easily pushed off the ball.

Other thing is that Lobb dislikes being smashed. Playing back is better from a body perspective. Should’ve done it sooner but I guess no other team has ever had an embarrassment of tall forwards like we do.

Still only a small sample size but he is looking the goods. I would add, Mature body that isn’t easily pushed off the ball.

Other thing is that Lobb dislikes being smashed. Playing back is better from a body perspective. Should’ve done it sooner but I guess no other team has ever had an embarrassment of tall forwards like we do.
Also, a big part of Lobb's role has been to play 2nd ruck.

With Darcy's becoming physically reliable and playing the role consistently well, Lobb has been freed up so kpd becomes a viable option.

I was at the game and I thought Lobby really supported, encouraged and spurred Buku to greater heights. Buku's last 5 minutes of the last quarter were inspired withvsome greatcspoils and teaming up with Lobby. Coffee, etc. to limit the Blues scoring.

If Rory becomes a permanent fixture in our backline surely he stays next season.
If he’s not going to be an issue off field then he should absolutely stay. At best he cements himself in our best team, at worst he’s first backup as a KPF, Ruck and l’d say he’s already gone past Gards when fit as a backup KPD. The contract isn’t onerous at all for what he’s offering and can’t see us being offered an attractive enough trade.

I really like Lobb. Reckon he gets a harsh rap in general. I have one mate that reckons he's the worst player in the AFL. A bit over the top.

He always gives 100% and you can't really ask for much more than that. Hope the move to the backline works out for him.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really like Lobb. Reckon he gets a harsh rap in general. I have one mat that reckons he's the worst player in the AFL. A bit over the top.

He always gives 100% and you can't really ask for much more than that. Hope the move to the backline works out for him.
I genuinely think he gets a bad rap because of how he looks. A big tall beanpole with bleached blonde hair.

He's a classic case of people focusing on what he can't do rather than what he can.

I genuinely think he gets a bad rap because of how he looks. A big tall beanpole with bleached blonde hair.

He's a classic case of people focusing on what he can't do rather than what he can.

He's also (as a forward at least) given the impression he's a bit laconic, but I think it's just the way he moves. That video earlier this year from the club of him at training, etc, shows he's as intense and committed as anyone else.

Agreed.

I'm watching the David Beckham doco at the moment. Have to say that I think a lot of the treatment he copped was because of how he looked.

****ing stupid people can't see past that surface shit.

Part of his bad wrap from the general footy public is he comes across as a mercenary jumping ship to the highest bidder. Like none of us would swap jobs if we kept getting pursued for more money!

Part of his bad wrap from the general footy public is he comes across as a mercenary jumping ship to the highest bidder. Like none of us would swap jobs if we kept getting pursued for more money!
The whole 'highest bidder' narrative seems a stretch anyway.

Heaps left GWS back home at the earliest chance and then he came to Vic for lifestyle/partner reasons, not for any money more than Freo were paying.

Nothing too mercenary in any of that.

The whole 'highest bidder' narrative seems a stretch anyway.

Heaps left GWS back home at the earliest chance and then he came to Vic for lifestyle/partner reasons, not for any money more than Freo were paying.

Nothing too mercenary in any of that.
Yep, he also front loaded his Freo deal and by all our reports our deal, which helps the club massively.

Bevo has very publicly backed him and I think that will go a long way to him staying. I like Lobby and have ever since he came to us. If he keeps playing like this down back for us then he'll be amongst the first picked every week.
People that bag him mercilessly are absolute morons that aren't watching the game. He's an above average player on a wage that is just above the league average - well done Sam Power... another win

Unless one takes the front-loaded cash and bails out before the lower paying seasons kick in, like he did with Freo (and potentially us too, if he was to walk).
Only happens if the club agrees. Given Freo had, days earlier, paid a huge price to bring in a very similar player in Luke Jackson, he was hardly stiffing the club.

Only happens if the club agrees. Given Freo had, days earlier, paid a huge price to bring in a very similar player in Luke Jackson, he was hardly stiffing the club.

They recruited a bloke to replace him and still whinged like he’d left them high and dry. Dorkers supporters are unhinged about his manager more than anything, with all the players of his that have left them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Welcome to the club, Rory Lobb

Remove this Banner Ad

Back