Welcome to the Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder what this means for the players who wont play in AFL games? Unless i'm misreading it, there will be as many as 78 AFL listed players not playing each week across the 6 teams within the hubs (6 x 13 reserves).

I know it sounds crazy and very U13's like, but could say 2 clubs put together a mixed squad of 2nd's a play another 2 clubs mixed 2nd's players. Just to keep them sharp and moving forward in their development.

You could theoretically get 3 x 2nds teams squads of 26 players. Its not perfect, but at least those players will be playing games most weeks against AFL quality. Its actually probably a better situation for the QLD 2nd players who usually play in the QAFL.

EDIT: Maybe to make it interesting they can create a 2nd's team, Club based, Non Vic, State of Origin comp! I'd bloody love to watch that!

Last edited:

I wonder what this means for the players who wont play in AFL games? Unless i'm misreading it, there will be as many as 78 AFL listed players not playing each week across the 6 teams within the hubs (6 x 13 reserves).

I know it sounds crazy and very U13's like, but could say 2 clubs put together a mixed squad of 2nd's a play another 2 clubs mixed 2nd's players. Just to keep them sharp and moving forward in their development.

You could theoretically get 3 x 2nds teams squads of 26 players. Its not perfect, but at least those kids will be playing games every week against AFL quality. Its actually probably a better situation for the QLD 2nd players who usually play in the QAFL.

I think its a reasonable suggestion, although clubs are probably to secretive and guarded about the players/game plans to let it happen.

I think its a reasonable suggestion, although clubs are probably to secretive and guarded about the players/game plans to let it happen.
Thats my concern too. I think its going to come down to whether the clubs feels it worth getting those games into the kids or not.

I think at a certain point the risk of watching 13 players not play for 12 months will outweigh the urge to keep a level of secrecy of the game plan. But thats just me trying to think logically. And we all know logical thinking a AFL club management don't really go hand in hand!

Thats my concern too. I think its going to come down to whether the clubs feels it worth getting those games into the kids or not.

I think at a certain point the risk of watching 13 players not play for 12 months will outweigh the urge to keep a level of secrecy of the game plan. But thats just me trying to think logically. And we all know logical thinking a AFL club management don't really go hand in hand!

I would be overjoyed if we were at the stage where we had developed a game plan good enough to be worth keeping it secret.

I am not sure if I heard it correctly but there was a suggestion that all the Vic clubs should travel to the GC to play he relocated sides in fairness so the interstate side do not have to travel a second time. AC,PA,WC and Freo have already made a sacrafice in relocating. There should not be a situation where Richmond and Collingwood play all their games at the MCG.
I think what they'll do to start with is have all the teams based on the Gold Coast play each other first, that's 4 weeks. Vic teams play each other. Then see what the quarantine situation is

I dont like this line. It means the Vic clubs, NSW and Qld clubs have access to all their players. For team harmonony and training drills we are at a disadvantage

The cost of players taking families into Queensland hubs will be funded by the AFL, which will not put a limit on the number of players clubs send.

Where is the fairness in a hub and us having to travel there, maybe without families and yet the Vics and Sydney teams are living at home almost nothing has changed for them.
The whole squad will be going up there, not just the 22 or 25

We've played away games against Melbourne, Richmond & North Melbourne at Carrara in the past

Yeah, but for vic teams to travel for every interstate game, regardless of whether their home or away, will not happen. Guarantee. To suggest it will is delusional.

Where is the fairness in a hub and us having to travel there, maybe without families and yet the Vics and Sydney teams are living at home almost nothing has changed for them.

/sarcasm

Nothing here is fair. To delay WA/SA training because of equity, then suggest "interstate" teams are obstructionist should they refuse to relocate for an indefinite period is ridiculous. To having ADL/PP have weekly scratch matches against each other (if we don't relocate) while Vic teams can play 9 other teams is going to set back development of our team for years to come. To base the game out of the highest infection-rate state. To (I guarantee) have the GF at the MCG even if 2 non-vic teams with no crowd.

I'm at a happy epiphany stage because I've realised that I really don't need to care about the AFL and I'm looking forward to investing my time in SANFL more. I've always gone to more local than AFL games anyway.

They might play a modified game with less players? Or maybe bring in some locals to fill in the numbers? Absolutely those guys need to be playing. If there isn't anything appropriate set up, I'd be ok with us rotating players heavily so that everyone plays 3 out of every 4 or 5 matches or something.

I get why the travel restrictions are in place. But I think it's a bit harsh to limit training to 10 players. In a state with 1 active case, it's not unreasonable to make an exception. However that's me looking at one issue in isolation and understand they need to be consistent with the guidelines. Just seems like a bit of a waste to go to GC and would prefer them training at home as I actually think it would be safer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They might play a modified game with less players? Or maybe bring in some locals to fill in the numbers? Absolutely those guys need to be playing. If there isn't anything appropriate set up, I'd be ok with us rotating players heavily so that everyone plays 3 out of every 4 or 5 matches or something.
Yeah I thought of that too. But even a modified game with 13 players (if no-one is injured) is very difficult to get anything out of. Even playing with no bench, no wings, 1FP, 1BP is still 14 players. Any less then that they may as well just do competitive practice in their position groups.

I think a heavy rotation is what will end up happening. But to me that's a below average result for a team who planned on playing a bunch of kids anyway, and who's development of young 2nd's players this year is critical!

I think what they'll do to start with is have all the teams based on the Gold Coast play each other first, that's 4 weeks. Vic teams play each other. Then see what the quarantine situation is
I'm trying to work out what's going on here. The AFL hasn't announced any firm plans (who/when/where/fixture) for the hubs in particular, or the season in general. Or if they have, I haven't seen them. Four clubs (SA+WA) have more or less announced that they will be moving to the Gold Coast. Add Brisbane and GCS, that's 6 clubs more or less committed to going to / playing in Qld, at least for the "first round" whatever that turns out to be.

Are these clubs basically dictating to the AFL where they will play their "hub" games? Or are they saying where they are prepared to move to, but not set in stone yet? How can these clubs decide to move to the GC without knowing that they'll actually be playing in a hub there?

I'm not following this.

Edit: This just in:

McLachlan said the league's four teams from Western Australia and South Australia would base themselves out of the Gold Coast, after their home states declined to relax quarantine restrictions for players coming in and out of their borders.

He said Fremantle and West Coast would complete pre-training at home before moving to the Gold Coast ahead of their first scheduled match, while Port Adelaide and the Adelaide Crows would move before May 25.

Last edited:
I'm trying to work out what's going on here. The AFL hasn't announced any firm plans (who/when/where/fixture) for the hubs in particular, or the season in general. Or if they have, I haven't seen them. Four clubs (SA+WA) have more or less announced that they will be moving to the Gold Coast. Add Brisbane and GCS, that's 6 clubs more or less committed to going to / playing in Qld, at least for the "first round" whatever that turns out to be.

Are these clubs basically dictating to the AFL where they will play their "hub" games? Or are they saying where they are prepared to move to, but not set in stone yet? How can these clubs decide to move to the GC without knowing that they'll actually be playing in a hub there?

I'm not following this.

Edit: This just in:

There was talk the 2 Sydney clubs would fifo in out of Qld for games as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome to the Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back