Welcome Welcome to the HFC Josh... Battle on!

Remove this Banner Ad

I know this view isn’t aligned with actually ITK types and is blind pontification, but I wouldn’t be surprised if we end up struggling to get Barrass in. Our first round pick is due to drop like a stone, after all…

I know this view isn’t aligned with actually ITK types and is blind pontification, but I wouldn’t be surprised if we end up struggling to get Barrass in. Our first round pick is due to drop like a stone, after all…
Makes sense. It’s one thing for him to want to get here, but a deal still needs to be struck.

These things usually get done, but wouldn’t surprise me if WC hold out and this takes a fair bit of time.

If it were Essendon or GC maybe. But the Eagles and Hawks have a good relationship and they will have other moves they will want to move forward with.

Our first will get it done with some swaps somewhere else. Dude is 29.

This is also blind pontification....

That’s basically what I was saying yesterday, although I put it in slightly more colourful language. He’s a fully contracted player who lives on the other side of the continent. Celebrate when it’s a done deal.
I think it was more about Battle than Barrass. Battle is a Hawthorn player. You can bank that during free agency period this year. Barrass will need to be traded yes. I am fairly confident that the process to get Barrass to commit included the WCE and there will be some squabbling, but a deal will be agreed to by the end.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it was more about Battle than Barrass. Battle is a Hawthorn player. You can bank that during free agency period this year. Barrass will need to be traded yes. I am fairly confident that the process to get Barrass to commit included the WCE and there will be some squabbling, but a deal will be agreed to by the end.

Heh. I can imagine those meetings…

“Look, I’m not saying we’re going to win the GF, I’m just saying IF we won it all and our R1 pick dropped to the floor, then we need to talk about that. What’s it take to get the deal done then?”

That’s basically what I was saying yesterday, although I put it in slightly more colourful language. He’s a fully contracted player who lives on the other side of the continent. Celebrate when it’s a done deal.

For saying that, I was laughed at, chastised and some massively overzealous mod deleted my post….
What’s ’living on the other side of the continent’ got to do with anything ?

Doubt it. The difference between pick 12 (what we currently hold if we lose EF) isn't that far away from the best case scenario of pick 18 in an even draft. Plus everything will slide anyway due to bid matching. It will probably be our first rounder and then a swap of some future picks to balance. Maybe chucking in a late pick from moving on a depth player.

Heh. I can imagine those meetings…

“Look, I’m not saying we’re going to win the GF, I’m just saying IF we won it all and our R1 pick dropped to the floor, then we need to talk about that. What’s it take to get the deal done then?”
The relationship between Sam and the WCE is more than amicable. The meetings would have been completely respectful on both sides

Next year is going to be huge for the Hawks. An absolutely fantastic pickup, has the ability offensively with his intercept capacity, courage and ability to go forward, kicking isn’t too bad either, good defensively and defends talls/smalls.

Him with Barrass ontop of the other guys already there, the changes that can be made upfield, such a big win overall.

West Coast have embarked on a long rebuild. They need picks, and whilst players like Barrass will obviously help to hold the fort he isn't going to be part of their next flag tilt.

Plus they also need to make room for Williams to step-up.

They keep one of their experienced elite defenders in McGovern, get a good draft pick and Williams gets to take up a more significant role. That's really a win for them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is going to be very interesting. Adding two talls presumably means removing at least one small. It is definitely going to change the balance.

I agree that Weddle probably moves up field. But the dynamic of the backline changes massively without the rebound of Weddle and one of Impey/Amon.

It will be interesting to see what the Hawks do.
Not too far i hope, maybe launching an attack off halfback. Just so long he's not standing a key tall. But he can literally play anywhere.

Get him and barrass to wear a wig, play finals this year

Season 7 Nbc GIF by The Office

Only in America
"Boston Red Sox player Danny Jansen will make Major League Baseball history Monday by playing for two teams in one game, a team spokesperson confirmed to CNN"

One of my good mates is a Saints fan so I've been to a few of their games. Seems like most people have Josh pegged down as a key back but he has ridiculous running capacity and has proven ability as a forward also, can play anywhere, ruck, mid forward just like Weddle. Stoked to have him on our list and i think he will surprise a few with how good he actually is.

Shades of Brian with Battle incoming and then Barrass in the wings to shore up what's considered an undersized defense.

Sam not waiting around to re-learn lessons from the pre-3peat era.

Wants to rack up his 2008 equivalent flag as coach this year, and then move straight on to 2013 ...
Certainly doesn’t have the pace issues we had from 2009 onwards. Smith and Hill made all the difference on that front

We can look forward to this (in Hawks' colours):

I have to admit to something. When Dwayne said "And the fans love it!" I thought... "what fans?"

One of my good mates is a Saints fan so I've been to a few of their games. Seems like most people have Josh pegged down as a key back but he has ridiculous running capacity and has proven ability as a forward also, can play anywhere, ruck, mid forward just like Weddle. Stoked to have him on our list and i think he will surprise a few with how good he actually is.

I've been saying all year for those who don't watch Saints games and aren't familiar with Battle, he's essentially a cross between Josh Weddle and Jack Scrimshaw.

Huge tank and athletic beast for a guy his size.
Ability to play lockdown on talls and medium sized forwards while intercepting at will.
Beautiful kick of the football.

193cm and 89kg (his stats online) is pretty much the perfect numbers for playing key back these days.

Sic got the job done at 188cm and 85kg? So Battle is more than big enough to be a key back.

It's as much about being able to read the ball in flight than pure size.

Josh Battle perfectly fits the method that Sam Mitchell has set up for the Hawks. Sam sold him our future with him being a critical part of it. The word is that the Saints upped their dollar value and length of contract offer for Battle (above that of the hawks) in the last few days to try to get the Hawks to match so that the Saints could get a tier 1 compo. They knew Battle was leaving, but wanted to push up the cost for the Hawks to improve their compo to their 1 (pick 8).

As far as I know (which is nothing other than commentary) the Hawks did not match.

Battle was rightly sold on the Hawks game plan, trajectory, and his obvious position within it.

The best type of defence is attack.
With Scrim, Sic and Battle patrolling the back half, oppo teams are going to find it tough to get past our Half back line.
With Impey, Weddle, Amon, Massi, buzzing around and Hardwick being a swing position player,... their headaches will be enormous.

And then put in Barrass waxing and working with Frost and the Hawks tall full back line will quell the best marking teams in the comp.

The Hawks are becoming scary. Not my words but those of my Port Adelaide backing workmate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to the HFC Josh... Battle on!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back