News Wellingham traded to Eagles for pick 17

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think its a bit overs, around 25 a fair price
But when you consider all the compensation picks that might occur in the first round 17 could become pick 20 which is closer to a win/win price
Everyone here last year was screaming when we only got 28 for Ebert.

Wellingham is a significant improvement on Ebert

No point in the Eagles getting a kid when they are pushing for a flag, sure a top 1-5 pick for a mid probably would be a the go but this is pick 17 we are talking about drafting a mid who is only 17 years old who may develop into a good player is worse than getting a seasoned premiership player ready to push Eagles towards a flag.

Good move.

Are you going to throw the words of some Collingwood posters back at all Collingwood posters?
You mustn't of seen the thread on the Draft and Trading board.

It was Ebert and 45 for 28 and 49

I would've been ok with Wellingham and a pick upgrade for 17.

Speaking as a completely objective third party observer with absolutely no personal interest in the matter... I strongly believe that West Coast won out on this trade. Wellingham is a fantastic player who has been overshadowed by the likes of Pendlebury, Swan and Thomas. At 24, I think if he can stay out of trouble off the field, he'll develop into an A-grade outside midfielder. Him and Gaff will make such a dynamic duo.
Be proud Weagles of your pick up, I would have very much liked him in a Swans guernsey next year :thumbsu:

I feel like each time an opposition player wants to come home, we pay at least a fair price, if not over, while other clubs get players who want to leave the eagles/nominate their club, for a bargain ...

I trust the club as always.

Gehrig left which got us Kerr
Judd left which got us Kennedy and Masten
Matera left which got us.... oh wait a minute:p

Truth is out of Mckinley, Seaby, Staker, Stevens, Spangher, Morrison, White, Haynes, McDougall...etc etc not one of them cost us a premiership or gave the club they went to one. So all in all the lower placed players have done nothing to damage our list over the years.

As for the bigger players to leave, i think they have turned out rather well imo.

I'd prefer to be a club that is easy to deal with as it means clubs don't hesitate to sit down with us and have a chat. We make calculated decisions, just like we did with Sharrod.

Does he offer us something we say we are after...yes
Does he add depth instantly to a position we got flogged in last year.....yes
Does pick 18 offer us something that will instantly improve our list and as a result help our tilt towards another premiership.....no
Do we have anything else to offer Collingwood that we are prepared to lose if we think we are paying slight overs.....no

Seems like a no brainer to me.

The only time we have been majorly screwed was with Port. They had the pre season pressure and we had no choice, yet we got McInnes who i think will be a very good player for us so like the Judd deal give it a few years and we shall see who got the better end of the stick.

Also what goes around, comes around. If we have a reputation of being fair and looking after players this will only help us in the new era of free agency.

Yeah it's done, now if we can get some half decent trades or another good player for Koby and Mitch we will have had a pretty good trade week(s).
Normally we are pretty small players in this area but this year we have had a bit going on, no longer are we building a team we are solidifying one.

Welcome on board Sharod, good to see us get a Perth boy wanting to come home.

Truth is out of Mckinley, Seaby, Staker, Stevens, Spangher, Morrison & White, Haynes, McDougall...etc etc not one of them cost us a premiership or gave the club they went to one. So all in all the lower placed players have done nothing to damage our list over the years.

Conveniently left out Mitch Morton? :p

Is he though?
If wellingham's impact for us is as good as Ebert has been for port then I will be very happy with the trade
I would have put Wellinghams value fairly similar to Eberts
e.g around 20-25

With that being said I described it as slight overs
Im not unhappy with the trade, as soon as he declared west coast it was just a matter of time until the deal for 17 was done

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At worse you get a good player and Wellingham has played a few A+ games so there is hope for you to come away like bandits. Pick 17 is deep enough in the draft crap shoot to easily yield a dud. Your premiership time is now and I think you traded well, Collingwood would be happy to reverse the trade if Wellingham wanted to stay.

Yep, Ebert really lifted Port to lofty heights.

Agree, pretty easy for a pumpkin to stand out amongst a field of potatoes.

Wellingham is unlikely to suddenly jump into being our top Brownlow poller like Ebert did for Port but if he can become a solid contributer and part of our midfield rotation and help to see us finish top 2 then he's worth the pick IMO.

At worse you get a good player and Wellingham has played a few A+ games so there is hope for you to come away like bandits. Pick 17 is deep enough in the draft crap shoot to easily yield a dud. Your premiership time is now and I think you traded well, Collingwood would be happy to reverse the trade if Wellingham wanted to stay.

Exactly. We all get excited when draft time comes around as it is an injection of new talent at the club and with that comes the possibility of a good new player for the future. But there have been more dud's drafted over the years than stars. Especially the deeper you delve into the draft. We know what we have gotten with pick 18 and i am pretty rapt the more i think about it.

His parents' names are Jarrod and Sharon - That's actually where the name comes from.

Are you 'avin a larf?

250px-Ray.jpg

Just lobbed in the door from work and saw the news! Onya Sharrod!!! It feels like at the moment players are seeking opportunity elsewhere and finally we have someone of note coming to us! I'm getting excited about 2013 already...how long to go ??:(

I trust the club as always.

Gehrig left which got us Kerr
Judd left which got us Kennedy and Masten
Matera left which got us.... oh wait a minute:p

Truth is out of Mckinley, Seaby, Staker, Stevens, Spangher, Morrison, White, Haynes, McDougall...etc etc not one of them cost us a premiership or gave the club they went to one. So all in all the lower placed players have done nothing to damage our list over the years.

As for the bigger players to leave, i think they have turned out rather well imo.

I'd prefer to be a club that is easy to deal with as it means clubs don't hesitate to sit down with us and have a chat. We make calculated decisions, just like we did with Sharrod.

Does he offer us something we say we are after...yes
Does he add depth instantly to a position we got flogged in last year.....yes
Does pick 18 offer us something that will instantly improve our list and as a result help our tilt towards another premiership.....no
Do we have anything else to offer Collingwood that we are prepared to lose if we think we are paying slight overs.....no

Seems like a no brainer to me.

The only time we have been majorly screwed was with Port. They had the pre season pressure and we had no choice, yet we got McInnes who i think will be a very good player for us so like the Judd deal give it a few years and we shall see who got the better end of the stick.

Also what goes around, comes around. If we have a reputation of being fair and looking after players this will only help us in the new era of free agency.
Thanks for the well thought-out reply
You make a good point about the big trades turning out rather well,(or better than they seemed at a time), but they'd both still be considered a win-win draw to each club at best, and that's with the benefit of hindsight (at the time, we seemed like the outright losers in both cases).

Agree about your opinions re: Port, though given the picks Carlton had in the Judd trade, I'd say they also screwed us over (should've been pick 1 not pick 3) although, just like Port, they had benefit of preseason pressure.

Another deal which looked bad at the time and still looks bad now, is the Dalzeill deal (we paid Staker, Seaby and 39?)

I guess I ultimately do trust our club overall, and was happy to be proven wrong re: Hill this year. I hope I'll be proven wrong yet again.
I just wish we'd waited until later on in the trading period to see if we could pay the right price rather than slight overs (or alternatively, I wish there had been a 2nd/3rd round pick swap thrown in). I think it was pick 17 rather than 18 btw, but your points are still valid.

I don't see how looking after players/being fair will help us during free agency though (given the "formulas" the afl use for compensation), but hopefully, the reputation will encourage other clubs to talk to us/be willing to deal with us

Cheers.

I don't mean to get off topic, but Carlton, Gold Coast, Richmond and Melbourne? That's a lot of teams.

No worries. And none of them even made the 8 :(

I don't want to get off topic either, but I'll just let you know that I support Tasmanian players in the AFL, more than any one team ;) Reserving my loyalty for a future Tassie squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back