News West Coast calls on fans to start new game-day tradition at Perth Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm largely a lurker here but wanted to add my 2 cents.

I could only watch from home but the whole pre-game entertainment/build-up seemed underwhelming to say the least. I personally like the 'Join the Huddle' initiative but like most have already said there needs to be some kind of vocal involvement for it to have any effect.

I read in the papers today Freo's pre-game entertainment plan includes fireworks, a soundtrack featuring Thunderstruck and Purple Rain (which I think accompanied by the visuals of the stadium will be incredible) and a former player kicking 'the first goal' I guess in the way MLB has someone throwing 'the first pitch' and to be honest it already sounds better than what we produced at our first game.

We are one of, if not the richest club in the AFL and if all the entertainment the club can produce is an inflatable tunnel with half-arsed CO2 jets with no banner or team song for the team to run out to then that's seriously poor on the clubs behalf. It seems like a huge afterthought for the club to just chuck on 'Joker and the Thief' one minute before bounce down to get the crowd pumped. The whole purpose of pre-game entertainment is to stir passion and emotion amongst fans and it's no wonder the stigma of West Coast supporters only getting noticeably vocal is booing or calling holding the ball..

think you guys got a little inspiration from the philly eagles/NFL

My last comment in this space - reading the Dockers pre-game stuff in the press sounds like they have given it a bit more thought, and applied contemporary practises to their pre-game than we did. Having been to games at both venues for the last 6 years (or so) our supporters are usually very flat at the start of the game.

Could be an age demographic thing but how would the Eagles and their pre-game entertainment go if they had everyone pumped for the start of the first quarter.

Just seems to me - we have some work do in the pre-game space.

My last comment in this space - reading the Dockers pre-game stuff in the press sounds like they have given it a bit more thought, and applied contemporary practises to their pre-game than we did. Having been to games at both venues for the last 6 years (or so) our supporters are usually very flat at the start of the game.

Could be an age demographic thing but how would the Eagles and their pre-game entertainment go if they had everyone pumped for the start of the first quarter.

Just seems to me - we have some work do in the pre-game space.
I thought the standing up did create a bit of hype pre bounce, but Karl Langdon stuffed it up getting us to stand too early, as soon as we sat down though it got a little flat. We need to chant EEEEeeeeeeagles

I go to the games purely to watch the footy, having said that I am all for the club trying to do anything they want to get the crowd into it. I myself have no interest in any of it but have no issue for those who do.
The club song should always be played as our team runs out though.

vuvuzela_player.jpg

iconic

(Log in to remove this ad.)

think you guys got a little inspiration from the philly eagles/NFL

A remarkable similarity...what a strange coincidence?

I was always against the razzle-dazzle of US sports and even the rugby here, but hell, if it fires up
the pensioner majority in the crowd and gets them ranting and waving their walking sticks and hurling their medicare dentures and zimmer frames at the opposition, then...bring on the sexy pom-pom girls, the firecrackers the smoke machines and the loud adrenalin pumping music I say!!!
(Hell, even half-time pole dancers and lap dancers, nude streaking (not pensioners), naked mud wrestling, whatever it takes to shake off the conservative Perth tag!!!?) (just no racism ok)

Last edited:
Everyone who followed the 2010 FIFA World Cup will put me on a hit list but I would seriously enjoy introducing these as common place for a few reasons;

Teams will literally dread coming to Optus Oval to play us. It would be a e genuinely bad experience for the travelling team.

The oldies who don't make **** all noise would be driven off, thus ushering in the next generation of fans quicker than expected.

It would actually create an atmosphere. My first game at Optus isn't until May 5th but if its anything like Subi it's so badly devoid of atmosphere.

And finally, for the lols.

really think they need to add something else like a chant or something to the huddle coz atm its so pointless and half the crowd don't know what they are standing for
Yep my block sat down after about 10 seconds.

Good idea in theory but lacking in execution

Yeh was pretty good right through until about 1996 I reckon, then the whole league went massively downhill.

From memory it’s when the nbl took channel 10s cash and they butchered the Comp

When 7 had it and cometti was commentating - the sport rivalled the afl

The ticker tape parade for nbl wins was huge

I know the nbl in Perth gets good crowds now - but the players aren’t gods like Crawford, grace, bruton, Ellis, black, watto

I know the nbl in Perth gets good crowds now - but the players aren’t gods like Crawford, grace, bruton, Ellis, black, watto
Yeh, started putting it on at stupid times at night which meant people lost interest, which meant there was less money to throw around and all those teams folded.
They were all household names, even non-basketball fans knew who they were just from all the media coverage. I remember going to Midland gate in the very early 90s and the players were there for an autograph session, they were getting absolutely mobbed by kids trying to get signatures. Now I reckon most people could walk past them in the street and just wonder to themselves who that tall guy is.

Fans have too much access to elite top tier basketball these days for the players in Australia to treat players like that again. Kestleman is doing a good job to get it as good as it can get, but it won't reach those heights. James Ennis is the guy that made NBL relevant again

Fans have too much access to elite top tier basketball these days for the players in Australia to treat players like that again. Kestleman is doing a good job to get it as good as it can get, but it won't reach those heights. James Ennis is the guy that made NBL relevant again

True enough - but the nbl fell off a cliff

It could have lasted well into the first decade this century

But 10 had never held meaningful sports rights and butchered it

Remove this Banner Ad

News West Coast calls on fans to start new game-day tradition at Perth Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Back