2nds West Coast Eagles WAFL Watch 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree.
I've been saying for weeks that Jones is taking us nowhere.

Having said that, still need to see some improvement from Chesser.
Yeah 100% on Chesser, I know some on here just blindly defend him but he really needs to contribute a bit more to justify his spot.
I'd be pretty keen seeing him play inside a bit more or even off half back. Anything to get him involved

He is a 19 year old that has been injured with a hand and ankle. Playing against the WAFL lead leaders and a strong midfield.

Think he will go okay.

Know all that, and he’s been only ok 14 rounds in to the WAFL season when he showed a little more promise back end of last year and in the pre-season before the ankle. Thought he’d have debuted by now in a struggling team but no dice

Gotta say I’m pretty disappointed in what Burgiel is producing at the moment.

Has all the talent, skill and pace in the world but appears to just completely lack intensity and defensive intent.

Really thought last year that we’d found a talent based on the few WAFL games he played, and that his hammies were the only thing holding him back.

Always thought he’d get a contract for next season but I’m not sure anymore. Hope he has a strong end to the season and shows some development - maybe time to scrap the wing experiment and put him back at half back? Has looked much better there than on the wing

Has all the talent, skill and pace in the world but appears to just completely lack intensity and defensive intent.

Really thought last year that we’d found a talent based on the few WAFL games he played, and that his hammies were the only thing holding him back.

Always thought he’d get a contract for next season but I’m not sure anymore. Hope he has a strong end to the season and shows some development - maybe time to scrap the wing experiment and put him back at half back? Has looked much better there than on the wing
If he's not touching the ball nor having much impact, then he's probably meeting Simpson's KPIs for the wing tbf.

Q. Is Clay Hall possibly a spud? You’d think a ball winning mid that sees the senior side get smashed the week prior would be really hungry to get around it. Seems to be just ticking over at best

Sees the guy playing next to him get best on every week and never get a game (not as sub) in the seniors

As a 19 year old that wouldn't sap your motivation in anyway?

Sees the guy playing next to him get best on every week and never get a game (not as sub) in the seniors

As a 19 year old that wouldn't sap your motivation in anyway?

Shouldn’t do if you believe at 3yrs younger the ceiling might be higher for yourself. Should be worrying about himself and putting his hand up regardless.

Trew will always be an above average WAFL player and a very average AFL player. Agree still plenty of time for Hall & truly hope he comes good, but not seeing a heap yet, and I think that’s pretty fair to say actually

Kind of looks like the classiest player on the ground when in possession at times, vision & ball use can be really great. Agree though, just doesn’t seem to want to get on with it enough. Bit of a passenger mentality on the park. Seems so much like an icing on the cake player in lack of a cake

Shouldn’t do if you believe at 3yrs younger the ceiling might be higher for yourself. Should be worrying about himself and putting his hand up regardless.

Trew will always be an above average WAFL player and a very average AFL player. Agree still plenty of time for Hall & truly hope he comes good, but not seeing a heap yet, and I think that’s pretty fair to say actually

Halls already shown he can rack up numbers at WAFL level. He's only seemingly gone backwards just recently.

Weirdly in the entire history of the Beagles you could count on one hand the amount of players that have improved playing for them

Again, must be just a coincidence

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our WAFL side is a complete disaster so I think it is almost impossible to decide whether young guys like him are a bust or not anymore. Don't think it is too outlandish to say that it is a career killer to get drafted to us as a low draft pick who has to ply their trade in the WAFL

Oh we've signed up to keep the status quo for another two years you say? Great.

Barnett was on Coast to Coast pod again this week

Last time he talked about if he doesnt win the first hit out he thinks he's in for a bad game. This week he talked about playing golf and how he knows if he's in for a bad day straight away.

Seems to really need some work on the mental side of things, hopefully the club is looking into it and getting him the right help.
Honest question, has he ever had a good game?

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Halls already shown he can rack up numbers at WAFL level. He's only seemingly gone backwards just recently.

Weirdly in the entire history of the Beagles you could count on one hand the amount of players that have improved playing for them

I think its just luck mostly

The case of Clay Hall is simple. He went from playing with the best ruck in the WAFL to the worst. He is a clearance winner primarily but its tough to win a clearance when the ball is tapped 10m in the other direction. Although in saying that with 1 pre seaso he went from averaging 18.6 possessions per game to 19.4 so he has improved... :D

Honest question, has he ever had a good game?

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app
I checked the stats.

In 2023 his best game was1
10 possessions, 27 hitouts, 2 goals (Averaged 8 possessions, 2 tackles, 15 hitouts a game)

In 2024 his best game was
11 possessions, 26 hitouts, 6 tackles(Averaging 6 possessions, 18 hitouts, 2 tackles a game) . It should be noted the player he played against has played 2 WAFL league games in his 3 year career with Subiaco and still got more hitouts then him with 29 to 26

Perhaps Jacob Wagenkneght should have got the 2 year contract instead?

Our WAFL side is a complete disaster so I think it is almost impossible to decide whether young guys like him are a bust or not anymore. Don't think it is too outlandish to say that it is a career killer to get drafted to us as a low draft pick who has to ply their trade in the WAFL

Oh we've signed up to keep the status quo for another two years you say? Great.
Oh we are about to get worse when we lose 3 of our top 4 players in the off season...

Oh we are about to get worse when we lose 3 of our top 4 players in the off season...

Why should we lose 3 of our top 4?? according to some on here those blokes should be so thankful of being delisted they should stay and play for the eagles wafl side and continue to be flogged for the thrill of it.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

In all honesty the stats actually make him look better and more impactful then he is. A bit of this also is that he clearly has no faith in his body to hold up.

In our WAFL team i think we geniunely have 3 players losing the game before they walk onto it with like psychology issues. Barnett, Burgiel and Rawlinson. Barnett for obvious reasons. Burgiel simply doesnt want to make anything but short runs and leads up. After he has run 20m he kind of thinks "damn" and then jogs around. Rawlinson is so obsessed with being a defensive forward he flat out forgets he is meant to lead, crumb and get the ball too. Very often he will stand 10m infront of the pack ready to tackle someone as opposed to trying to crumb the ball

Another thing ism If you go to a WAFL game very early and just watch around you can clearly see the difference in professionalism between the opponent and the Beagles. In my eyes a ton of it also comes from the non-playing staff. Most of them seem to think its more of a social gathering then a job/game. If Pyke was as ruthless as he keeps telling people not 1 single person would be back next year. Every single coach should go

It's an indictment of our recruiting staff that we haven't got any young blokes carving up the wafl.
I don't if it's that they lack skill and intensity or it's the fact there are no easy kicks to be had to gain confidence in a team of young blokes and assorted battlers.
Something has to change because the current direction is f**king dire.

Perhaps the way the Eagle's view the WAFL side needs a rethink. As the main side isn't in contention perhaps they should be dropping players like, Darling, Jones, Chesser, Witherden, Jones back to strengthen them so they become semi competitive and play younger WAFL players in the AFL. It's not like it's going to cost the Eagles a flag anytime soon.

Perhaps the way the Eagle's view the WAFL side needs a rethink. As the main side isn't in contention perhaps they should be dropping players like, Darling, Jones, Chesser, Witherden, Jones back to strengthen them so they become semi competitive and play younger WAFL players in the AFL. It's not like it's going to cost the Eagles a flag anytime soon.

Good thought - also provides a glimmer of hope to Beagles who may be on the cusp.

Not a Beagles watcher - but IIRC there were early season comments about various players putting in good shifts and showing a bit but often not being selected (other than being a sub) and/or quickly being sent back to twos.

Hope and justifiable rewards are great tools.

Don’t see the same hope and reward at selection table at the moment.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agree he has proven he can rack up numbers, but he also plays a fair few games where he just makes up numbers. Trew and Culley often better than him on face value so he’s like the 3rd best of the AFL listed mids from the Beagles at present, which kind of explains why he isn’t beating the door down to be selected just yet. Like any of our players I hope he has a good ceiling, just a flat-ish year so far.

I think playing in our WAFL side might be part of it too, like it’s just such a terrible gateway to seniors as it stands. We get smashed in the ruck while developing players in there which is a catch 22 that impedes the development of our ground level mids

Remove this Banner Ad

Back