2nds West Coast Eagles WAFL Watch 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

So 10 matches a year us or Peel have no match. I’m sure the ‘VFL’ teams have a better setup. (And don’t start me - Victorian FL but contains Qld and NSW!)

Do we need some creative solutions? I don’t know, divide state into ten zones, we (and Peel) then play each of their ‘best of’ teams once. Or some such.

Can’t be optimum just having an extra five training sessions.
No they don't the vfl have 21 teams so they have byes every week. three teams had a bye this week.
They have 21 rounds but each team plays only 18 games and have three byes.
They don't even get to play all teams as they would have to play 20 games over at least 23 rounds.

Last edited:

Yeah. AFL play 23 games and WAFL play 18 rounds so something has gotta give. Unofficial game might be the go
vf
Thanks. Might be okay for the stand alone clubs but can’t imagine Freo or us are happy about it.

Also remember our players had no ressies for the first two (three?) games.

Bit of a dogs breakfast for development.
All wafl teams had pre season games including the Beagles and Peel which ran concurrent with the start of the Afl season
so it isn't a issue.

I baulked at Chess getting dropped - didn't think getting flogged in the 2's would be any better for his development.

But happy to eat my words. Give him couple more games playing inside mid and then think about getting him back in the AFL side IMO.
Will he play inside mid at afl level though?

Archer kinda lucky, all of his goals came from free kicks. Won’t have the physical advantage his whole career. Should have easily had a couple more goals though

Also if they played on a Saturday afternoon everyone week, I am sure there would be a lot more people attending. Me for instance.
I would think that the Eagles have some input in the times they play.
I know the eagles don't like afl games and wafl games being played at the same time as it creates logistical problems.

Last edited:
They are not restricted. They could be better if they used all their points.They have 70 points and have used only 55.
They could have recruited a couple of extra decent vfl/sanfl players and didn't.
Can anybody tell me what the status of Jackson Nelson, Mitch Henderson, Josh Burke and John Levian.
I think Nelson is injured. The other three are a combined 13 points and have not played this year.
Just as the recruiting for the Afl side has been woeful so has the recruiting for the Beagles.
It has nothing to do with some conspiracy but all to do with how woeful t the Eagles admin have become and hopefully Don Pyke fixes both.
How are the points calculated? Is there a resource to see how each player's are valued?

Baker and Dewar must both be persisted with. Baker could have had two excellent running goals

Dewar has already been given a contract extension for 2025

Baker remains in limbo with several others

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd like to think he'd get some rotations through there.

Playing a role is important - but I also think we need to focus on our strengths and how to get the best out of our young talent.
Would hope that with a new coach at the helm, he'll get a run in the middle instead of just being stuck in a role that he hasn't cemented yet.

I feel like with a new baby it's perfect time for Gaff to hang up the boots.

I'm assuming he probably wants to continue but surely that's not in the AFL side.

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
He just wants money. They all do. Most sports people want the gravy train for as long as possible.

Gaff has lost what little pace he had. First and second year players are now overtaking him. He's done.

Just watched the replay as I was too busy yesterday to see it. It's a shame it's 480p with blown out highlights and yet still crushed shadows, not sure what they use to film on, but at least the audio was good.

Using my $72,000 headphones though I could distinctly hear Simpson booing Culley's two goals early on which is poor form.

Gilbee
Not on the list, but he did some pretty mad dog things. Love to see it.

Chesser
Great work at times, pushing others off ground balls, looks quick, so fast his nose kept bleeding. Only criticism, or thing I'd like to see him work on in the twos is in open play to look to kick a bit more. That would make him more damaging and the WAFL would be a great place to learn what he can and can't hit to open the game up.

Darling
Pretty darn good game really, was involved in a lot of the scoring chains in one way or another. Good foot skills, some smothers, spoils, hitouts, half-volleys and it was just a well-rounded game with a bit of everything. Still good enough for AFL in my opinion but it's up to JWill to keep him out now (or for the team to change the ruck/fwd balance).

Whopper
One of those guys who looks like he can be a class above WAFL. Has the footwork of Cole, can open space and move people, looks like a smooth mover. I hope he/we can figure out how to get the best from his talents, I think he's got what it takes.

Good problem to have? Or recruiting error?
The talent we have in talls is good, but also bad.

Archer Reid looks classy, really good touch for a tall and could be a very very good player.

At the other end we have Bazzo who's coming from a long way back with injury but always looked good enough for the level.

So: Allen, Waterman, Maric, Bazzo, HEdwards, Gov, Barrass, Darling, Reid, JWill, BWill, Flynn ...

All of these guys are good enough for AFL either now or in the near future, Gov and Darling won't be around forever so two spots open up, what happens with the rest of them? Do they ask for trades to get opportunity?

If Barnett, Livingstone or Jamieson come along then it's an even bigger issue, but they all seem a bit off/need time to develop.

Just watched the replay as I was too busy yesterday to see it. It's a shame it's 480p with blown out highlights and yet still crushed shadows, not sure what they use to film on, but at least the audio was good.

Using my $72,000 headphones though I could distinctly hear Simpson booing Culley's two goals early on which is poor form.

Gilbee
Not on the list, but he did some pretty mad dog things. Love to see it.

Chesser
Great work at times, pushing others off ground balls, looks quick, so fast his nose kept bleeding. Only criticism, or thing I'd like to see him work on in the twos is in open play to look to kick a bit more. That would make him more damaging and the WAFL would be a great place to learn what he can and can't hit to open the game up.

Darling
Pretty darn good game really, was involved in a lot of the scoring chains in one way or another. Good foot skills, some smothers, spoils, hitouts, half-volleys and it was just a well-rounded game with a bit of everything. Still good enough for AFL in my opinion but it's up to JWill to keep him out now (or for the team to change the ruck/fwd balance).

Whopper
One of those guys who looks like he can be a class above WAFL. Has the footwork of Cole, can open space and move people, looks like a smooth mover. I hope he/we can figure out how to get the best from his talents, I think he's got what it takes.

Good problem to have? Or recruiting error?
The talent we have in talls is good, but also bad.

Archer Reid looks classy, really good touch for a tall and could be a very very good player.

At the other end we have Bazzo who's coming from a long way back with injury but always looked good enough for the level.

So: Allen, Waterman, Maric, Bazzo, HEdwards, Gov, Barrass, Darling, Reid, JWill, BWill, Flynn ...

All of these guys are good enough for AFL either now or in the near future, Gov and Darling won't be around forever so two spots open up, what happens with the rest of them? Do they ask for trades to get opportunity?

If Barnett, Livingstone or Jamieson come along then it's an even bigger issue, but they all seem a bit off/need time to develop.
Who's Whopper?

Bit of a floaty ball drop. Wasn't sure if it was an indecision thing or a fundamental part of his game. Did kick a great snag though
It was always a massive issue with him throughout. Hasn’t improved with it. Amazing that we traded up to draft a flower bag foot in a game that absolutely requires elite foot skill

It was always a massive issue with him throughout. Hasn’t improved with it. Amazing that we traded up to draft a flower bag foot in a game that absolutely requires elite foot skill

When you are at that point of the draft you are looking for players who have elite traits. His kicking is an issue however the reason he was drafted was because of last years draft crop, particularly through the champs he stood out as an elite clearance player who was also great defensively, ran both ways, a very good size and a good mark. He was a standout in a shithouse WA midfield and really took it up to the more highly rated opposition midfields.

His kicking is inconsistent and will be an issue if he can't make it as a centre square mid. If he can make it as a centre square mid and win the clearances by hand he will be fine. The worry for me is was/is a lot more physically ready for senior football (whether that be WAFL or AFL) than others. Whilst I don't expect a guy who has only recently turned 19 to be starring at WAFL level I was hoping he would have had a standout game by now.

He is going to outreach the vast majority of key defenders in the AFL.
Exactly, just look at Sam Darcy as a prime example.
Darcy is in his 3rd year and doesnt have the muscle to wrestle most full backs, but with his height he just reaches over the top.
Darcy is a bit taller than Archer (208cm vs 203cm) but the concept is the same, most KPDs are just under 200cm.

If Archer turns out to be Sam Darcy lite then we have a winner.

The King brothers are 202cm and similarly athletic too

How are the points calculated? Is there a resource to see how each player's are valued?
It is very complicated and it is found in the Wafl's 2024 rules and regulations and covers all teams including Peel and Beagles. Most ammos are one point but several who have played a certain amount of wafl games at other wafl teams can be command 2 and upwards according to rules.Former Afl players can vary from 5-12 points.
Also points decrease after three years on the list.
All Wafl teams need to be smart in using their points wisely and recruiting players who are worth it

1.1 Senior List Points Categories are based around four classifications:

1. Local District Player from the WAFL Club country or metropolitan zone, set out in Rule 10

2. Non- District Player from an alternate WAFL Club country or metropolitan zone

3. Interstate Player originally from a state outside of WA; a Player who has transferred to the WAFL Club in accordance with Rule 1.4 from another state outside of Western Australia and who did not have their first senior football registration recorded in Western Australia

4. AFL Non- District Delisted AFL Player or Rookie Player from outside WAFL Club’s country or metropolitan zone State League State Leagues other than the WAFL Competition (League Football);SANFL, VFL, NEAFL.

point value 1 Local District; Non-District 0 Games; Interstate Non Tier 1; Non District 1-10Games; Interstate Tier 1 – Non League (Played Reserves or Colts Matches in NABLeague, SANFL, VFL, *NEAFL

point value 2 Non-District 1-10 Games (AFL Non-District and State League

point value 3 Non-District 11-25 Games (AFL Non-District and State League)

point value 5 Non-District 26-50 Games; (AFL Non-District and State League)

point value 7
Non-District 51-100 Games (AFL Non-District and State League

point value 10 Non-District 101-125 Games (AFL Non-District and State League)

point value 11 Non-District 126-150 Games (AFL Non-District and State League)

point value 12
Non-District 151+ Games (AFL Non-District and State League)

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

2nds West Coast Eagles WAFL Watch 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back