AFLW West Coast Womens 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Too few with any punch in their kick. We just look so much faster carrying the footy than we do moving it by foot, but can’t get it out of D50 as a result.
Agreed, there's a few players that have horrible kicking technique as well, take an eternity to get the ball to the boot.

Thats me done too.

Turn over, after turn over after ******* turn over.

Pretty hard to win a game of football when, every time you get the ball you hand it straight back to the opposition.

I take it it’s going badly? Club’s social media coverage has consisted of the team running out then complete silence.

Stream started around 25 minutes late. Missed the entire first qtr.
Then when it did start there was a little bit of hope but then they showed the score board and we were already down 32 to 1

It was turn over city. every kick forward would go to the oppo.
Gave away a bunch of sling tackle frees as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I take it it’s going badly? Club’s social media coverage has consisted of the team running out then complete silence.

Fremantle’s social media: regular score updates, play descriptions, apologies for the stream not working.

West Coast’s social media: team running out at the start, four random game pics after it’s finished.

Fremantle’s social media: regular score updates, play descriptions, apologies for the stream not working.

West Coast’s social media: team running out at the start, four random game pics after it’s finished.
Wow so we've really upped our game this year then.

The West Coast Eagles have finalised their 2024 playing squad with the signing of Jayme Harken and Tess Lyon as injury replacement players for the upcoming AFLW season.

Back-to-back Dhara Kerr medallist Harken joins the nest fresh off a WAFLW premiership with the Claremont Tigers, winning the Lou Knitter Medal for best on ground in the victory over East Fremantle.

Subiaco Lions captain Lyons had an impressive 2024 WAFLW season in the ruck, averaging 20.5 hitouts and a career-high 10.3 touches from 10 games.

Standing at 184cm, Lyons’ follow-up work around the contest, her movement and agility makes her a standout amongst other talls.

Tess Lyons, Beau Waters' sister-in-law I think.

Good read

Roxy Roux initially scoffed at the idea of defecting to her cross-town rival.
But the more she thought about it, the more she realised that West Coast was the only place she’d consider continuing her AFLW career.

Roux, still only 22, never thought she’d leave Fremantle.

A walking highlights reel early on in her career with her incredible vertical leap and ability to hit the scoreboard, the exciting forward kicked four goals in her first three games after she was drafted by the Dockers with pick 12 in 2019. She received a Rising Star nomination and was named in the AFLPA 22under22 in the same year.

But after such a promising start to her career, Roux struggled to could never reach the same heights, literally and figuratively, as she did during those first two seasons.

“My first two years at Fremantle are probably the best football I’ve produced,” Roux told this masthead. “The last four seasons after that, I was riddled by injury.

“My body wasn’t right so my mind wasn’t right and I didn’t get back to that level.”

Roux played just five games for the Dockers last year, falling out of favour after a shin injury delayed her start to the season. When she did return, she did so as a defender.

Roux was an end to a mean. But she actually found solace down back.

“We were pretty stocked in the forward line and everything was working there,” she said. “I was pushing for selection and Lisa Webb needed someone in the backline as well as a second ruck out there.

“It was actually such a big relief for me. AFLW is a mental game and as a forward, I was measuring my games by how many goals I kicked and I hadn’t kicked a goal for a long time.

“Even though externally people were like ‘Oh but you did this and presented well,’ I was still measuring my success by goals.

“Being a defender was a weight off my shoulders. Even when the opposition kicked a goal, I took it personally but I was able to reset a lot quicker.”

At the end of the season, Roux could see the writing on the wall. She was out of contract and uncertain about her future at the Dockers. But she had options.

West Coast expressed interest as did Adelaide.

“I was speaking to my manager one day and he told me that there was interest from other clubs and it hit me that every year that I was out of contract, the Eagles were knocking down the door,” Roux said.

“Even in some of the seasons when I wasn’t at my best, they still wanted me. Back when I was in my draft year, they gave me a tour of the club, even though they weren’t in a position to draft me because they wanted to show me what they could offer me.

“I didn’t want to go to the cross-town rival initially. I played around with the idea of Adelaide as my partner’s family over there it wasn’t foreign to me and we go across quite often to see her family. But in the end, it was West Coast.

“They brought a SWAT team of Eagles staff and really impressed me during the interview. I remember that they asked me for feedback about their junior academy that I was a part of before they entered the AFLW. I didn’t give them the greatest feedback from memory but they were like ‘Great, now we know how to improve.’

“They’ve been there the whole time and I knew that I wasn’t finished with footy.”

Roux decided to request a trade to West Coast. And that was before the Eagles appointed AFLW pioneer Daisy Pearce as their next coach.

“They were hinting to me during our meetings ‘We’ve got a coach on the books and we think you’ll really like her,’” Roux said. “And I was like ‘Who am I going to possibly like?’ They got me there.”

Roux has been an Eagle since December. And she couldn’t be happier with her life-alerting decision.

West Coast has embraced Roux and her mental health has been a big beneficiary.

“I’m honestly the happiest I’ve been for a long time,” Roux said. “I don’t like leaving my other job early but I love coming to training.

“I’m here early pushing weights and having meetings and I’m here late doing my recovery … jumping in the sauna.

“I’ve never been in a sauna before. I went in for the first time with Evie Gooch and she was trying to talk to me and I’m breathing in all this hot air and I’m like ‘Gooch, don’t talk.’ I’m learning new things about myself.”

Balancing a career as a mechanic outside of football has its challenges. But Roux’s new teammates have helped her navigate a delicate work-life balance, the East Fremantle product fondly recalling an interaction with Bella Lewis on West Coast’s pre-season camp.

“I worked all day, drove down to camp on Friday afternoon and walked into a house full of 31 girls plus staff,” Roux said. “Everyone is happy, squealing, laughing but I’m covered in grease and dirt.

“I was like ‘I’m dead. I need to go to bed.’ The next day, I think it took a bit of a toll on me because I was still tired. I didn’t think it was noticeable but Bella Lewis goes ‘You’re looking a bit down. Are you okay?’

“And I said ‘Oh my body is just a bit heavy from yesterday.’ And Bella goes ‘Well do you need a hug or a pump up?’

“At that moment, I almost went to cry. Usually, you just try and put it off and get through the session but she stopped to make sure I was okay. Everyone here is like that. It’s an amazing team.”

Roux has been forced to go back to go forward again. But she’s adamant that she’ll no longer be a flash in the pan with an elite highlights reel.

“I’m adding a bit more depth,” Roux said. “Those first two years, I was wildly inexperienced.

“I was left to roam and do whatever I wanted. But being here, I’ve learnt so much.

“I’ve made plenty of mistakes. If I stuff up at training, my teammates will help me look at the footage and see what I could’ve done instead.

“It’s a relief to be with the forwards again. We have such a strong powerful forward line here full of exciting talent that I’m keen to get cracking with. When we click, we’ll be a pretty formidable force.

“Ultimately, I feel like I’m back to my best again.”

Goranova, Schilling, Britton, Simmons, Elkington, Harken, DiDonato, Bushby, Hosking, Bakker, Webb and Lyons don't really belong at this level. They say Bakker has surprised everyone, and that would be great, but I'll believe it when I see it.

You could then get REALLY tough and apply recent form (rather than potential) and add Roux, Franklin and Zakfer to this, plus Lackay, who is strong in the ruck but contributes very little else.

That's 16 players. I look through the lists of even new expansion teams like Essendon or Hawthorne, I can only count five or six who are on the edge. GWS is probably the only club with a lot of borderline players, everyone else is starting to look stacked.

We're odds-on for wooden spoon this year, I think. Daisy may be the best coach in the comp, but there's only so much you can do with this list when every other team is so much stronger. And having new coaching strategies, even good ones, takes time to adjust to. Losing Kavanagh and Johnson to injury really sucks -- Kavanagh especially, we desperately need midfield depth, she and Rentsch were it, now it's just Jess. And Rowley looks like she's back, but with a limited pre-season, so may not even play midfield.

The upside is that next draft is so strong, probably even fourth round picks will be really good, and we could get either Zippy or Ash Centra at no 1. Much as I love Zippy, I think I'm leaning to Centra, she's a freak, and while Zippy is occassionally quiet, Centra never is. But it will take at least two super strong drafts to get this lineup genuinely competitive... and we're already the youngest team in the comp.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLW West Coast Womens 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back