2nds West Coast Eagles WAFL Watch 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you think the fact that Peel were a very young club without set traditions and history etc. when they aligned with Freo has helped their alignment? Whereas for WAFL clubs with a long history and set of loyal members, aligning is not such a great prospect?

I don’t know the exact answer to that. Possibly? I have talked with East Perth people who were not unhappy with the alignment but they said the Eagles wanted to run everything and they didn’t care about East Perths side of things.
That ended up a big problem. Dictatorship didn’t work.

Been contemplating which, if any, of this years potentially delisted players might be persuaded to play for the Beagles in 2025

• Gaff has retired and is talking about travelling ❎
• Luke Edwards may be medically retired due to concussion. If he isn’t he probably goes back to SA❎
• Witherden seems settled in Perth and if he doesn’t get any other AFL offers might stay - could see him getting offered a hybrid playing/assistant coaching role✅
• Trew I expect would go back to Swan Districts❎
• Jones might consider staying. Club could find him a job working in an indigenous community role to give him an income✅
• Rotham, despite his critics here, still has some AFL traits and I could see a club picking him up as a DFA. Suspect he goes back to West Perth if he doesn’t get picked up❎
• Baker we might be able to keep as a WAFL player✅
• Burgiel is probably the least likely to get cut and also has some trade value so he’s likely on someone else’s list or ours❎

If we can keep Witherden, Jones and Baker at the Beagles it will help our competitiveness next year. Especially if we keep Ruscoe and Nelson returns from injury

They were not outsiders or intruders, 70-80% of them were actually playing for their own WAFL club and with all the mates they grew up with.
Only the non WA players were put somewhere they didn’t know and I have nit heard of any player who felt left out.

Moved this over to this thread.

Currently our list is closer to 50% non WA players. So potentially still somewhat problematic for half our list.

Farming the players out also does have the issue, that they are training mostly with the AFL team and then expected to play on the weekend with guys they haven’t been training with all week. Are non best 22 players excepted to split training between WAFL and AFL.
I think this was also an issue with our alignment, not sure how Peel and Freo deal with this.

Like I said hopefully Pyke plays nicer with the WAFL teams than what Nizzy did, because what we have been doing hasn’t been working for a significant period of time.

I realise the Eagles' WAFL alignment with East Perth didn't really work for either club.

Do you think the fact that Peel were a very young club without set traditions and history etc. when they aligned with Freo has helped their alignment? Whereas for WAFL clubs with a long history and set of loyal members, aligning is not such a great prospect?
You're basically onto it IMHO.

Peel Thunder were comparatively young, underachieving and open to pretty much all directions from Freo.
The Royals... not so much.

In actual footy terms it was always the frustration of wanting players sent back or coming through to run specific patterns, work on specific areas etc to suit the AFL side and not necessarily getting positioned and instructed that way at WAFL level.

Thunder rolled with it pretty completely on the other hand and as a consequence had processes in place fairly quickly to ensure that filter down of direction, alignment of message and support of performance outcomes and leanings. To the point now where even at reserve level the specific patterns are filtered down as well (strictly) and the entire system is basically one large Freo system. They kind of went with "we'll do whatever you guys want" attitude as we got nothing to lose and don't claim to know better. Freo have a really good set up going now that filters right down to juniors and the entire Peel football community.

The Royals spent 5 seasons only half committing to that idea but really trying to keep their own identity as well. Players sent back were often, though not always, expected to perform different roles to fit with what the current Royals footy dept/coaching group was trying to put in place or achieve that weekend. If they could see a neat way to fit in what we wanted particular players to work on then fine, but if not, then they had to fit in with a not fully aligned coaching group and game-plans. The belief was our player development was suffering as a consequence and the eventual decision to go it alone was mostly based around that belief.

I personally think either version can work but it requires a far greater commitment than was estimated to run an Eagles WAFL standalone. As anyone who knows footy will tell you, it really takes a whole community/tribe to run a successful team/club. At WAFL level, we don't have that. Therefore we have to commit far more resources than those that do to make up the shortfall.

Last edited:
Been contemplating which, if any, of this years potentially delisted players might be persuaded to play for the Beagles in 2025

• Gaff has retired and is talking about travelling ❎
• Luke Edwards may be medically retired due to concussion. If he isn’t he probably goes back to SA❎
• Witherden seems settled in Perth and if he doesn’t get any other AFL offers might stay - could see him getting offered a hybrid playing/assistant coaching role✅
• Trew I expect would go back to Swan Districts❎
• Jones might consider staying. Club could find him a job working in an indigenous community role to give him an income✅
• Rotham, despite his critics here, still has some AFL traits and I could see a club picking him up as a DFA. Suspect he goes back to West Perth if he doesn’t get picked up❎
• Baker we might be able to keep as a WAFL player✅
• Burgiel is probably the least likely to get cut and also has some trade value so he’s likely on someone else’s list or ours❎

If we can keep Witherden, Jones and Baker at the Beagles it will help our competitiveness next year. Especially if we keep Ruscoe and Nelson returns from injury
Ive heard Jones has signed with South

Remove this Banner Ad

2nds West Coast Eagles WAFL Watch 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back