West Coast will spank the Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

GrayNicolls said:
because thats when we play our best footy - simple really
roos knows how to get the players up in these situations and i'm confident the same thing will happen on the weekend

US vs them mentality

pfft, pure fallasy. A team should always play it's best football, not actually bring it to the table when they're expected to lose. On GF it doesn't matter at all anyway, especially on a totally neitral ground.

footy_rulz said:
They will need to find a pathway to goal around Sydney's flood.

Judd, Cousins and Kerr are pathfinders. Have you seen those guys run?

Lynch and Hansen aren't matchwinners, but they are big guys who keep presenting and will cause Barry, Roberts-Thomson and Bolton plenty of problems.

Bloods said:
Yes we had the easier task - but aren't you forgetting something? We earned that 'easier task' by beating the EAGLES at home first up.
You earned it, sure. I was just stating that - to these objective eyes - the Eagles win was more impressive and against better opposition.

You guys played amazingly in that first final against the Eagles and you'll need to at least match that performance to win on Saturday. I don't think that West Coast played well at all that night. Plus they've regained some key players.

As has been pointed out, losing that game may have been a blessing for Johnny Worsfold's boys.

Syd said:
I can't see us being panicky

Nice reply, Syd. I agree the Swans seem to knuckle down under pressure better than most sides I've ever seen, but your comment about getting "panicky" got me thinking.

How would you describe O'Loughlin's performance in last year's decider?
How would you describe Schneider's rushed shooting for goal last weekend?
How would you describe Barry Hall's lacklustre finals series in 2005?

Panicky would be a good word for all three.

Pressure affects everybody. You don't really know how they're going to handle it if things get tight in the second half of a Grand Final. No one is immune.

bzparkes said:
pfft, pure fallasy. A team should always play it's best football, not actually bring it to the table when they're expected to lose. On GF it doesn't matter at all anyway, especially on a totally neitral ground.

we thrive on it - enough said.............

The Other Coach (TOC) said:
Thats cos Im smarter than you Chewy...at least smart enough not to set myself up with threads like this...:D

Slow day on Big Footy. Too much Brownlow BS.

Not enough talk about the big one.

Thank Christ I have balls of steel.

Great news .

All we can hope for is the Weagles firm even more as favorites.

They always do :D

There's a certain amount of quiet confidence in knowing that they havent beaten us anywhere but their own dung hill for seven years.

We lurrrrrrvvv playing at the MCG :D

Chewy said:
How would you describe O'Loughlin's performance in last year's decider?

Uncharacteristic.

That being said, Micky is a "confidence" player and he had the yips well before the finals series last year.

A look at our last 2 games shows that not to be the case this year.

Chewy said:
How would you describe Schneider's rushed shooting for goal last weekend?

Pressured.

While most on BF have talked down Freo's efforts, being at the game I can assure you that they were switched on from the outset and chased very, very hard throughout the game & full credit to them.

Go back and have a look at his shots and you'll see for the most part that they were quick snaps on the run.

They look great when they come off, but last week wasn't one of those weeks.

Chewy said:
How would you describe Barry Hall's lacklustre finals series in 2005?

If memory serves, Barry had some corrective laser eye surgery after last years finals series.

Had serious problems sighting the ball during night games (of which most of our finals were).

He went just fine on GF day.

All things being equal, I believe we are in better shape than we were last year and there will be no excuses from me if WC get up on the day. Although I'm confident (no, not the flags in the bag confident, just your ordinary run of the mill confident) that we'll get over the line again this year.

Syd said:
Barry had some corrective laser eye surgery after last years finals series.

That's a revelation! It would explain why he was dropping so many easy balls.
I was shocked.

Schneider had more time than he thought. The pressure was in his mind. He'll need to make more of his chances this week. I agree with you: he's going to get a few.

O'Loughlin is a wild card.

Much as I appreciate a Hawks supporter showing such confidence in the Eagles I doubt very much whether there will be any "spanking" in the grand final (What might happen subsequently during any celebrations/wakes could be a different story!) I think that the Eagles will win, but I doubt that it will be by very much; less than a goal is most likely !

I don't know about the eye thing having anything to do with it, but his '05 finals series wasn't too bad anyway.

Went OK against the Eagles, struggled against Geelong, second best against St.Kilda and in our best on GF day - including the goal that just said "follow me boys".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bloods said:
I don't know about the eye thing having anything to do with it, but his '05 finals series wasn't too bad anyway.

Went OK against the Eagles, struggled against Geelong, second best against St.Kilda and in our best on GF day - including the goal that just said "follow me boys".

What Hall picked up during the break was clear vision after undergoing corrective eye surgery in December. The Swans' grand final-winning skipper admitted he struggled to see things clearly at the other end of the field, struggled in night games and that judging a mark was difficult, finding himself snatching at the ball.

After an eye test early last season, Hall was supposed to have been wearing contact lenses but couldn't get used to them, so he played on without them, and without clear vision. But once the season - and the celebrating - was over, he underwent surgery and his eyesight has improved significantly.

Link to full article: http://www.smh.com.au/news/afl/hall...-for-new-season/2006/03/01/1141191731892.html

Punt_Road_Roar said:
Spot on, its an excuse waiting to happen.

West Coast to be 2006 premiers by half time, game over for the swans :thumbsu:

Stop listening to the myopic ignorant WA media bucko! When I was over there, I saw a picture where they said "Nathan Ablett" plays for the Swans:confused:

The Eagles are generally crap in the 1st half of matches. But have had great success in overrunning sides in the 2nd half of games.

The Swans had more than handy leads in the last 3 matches against the Eagles, including the Grand Final. Yet on each occasion the Eagles have been able to peg back our lead. :confused:

I'll give you this tip. If the Eagles are ahead at half time, they will win the match & the flag. If the Swans are ahead & playing well, it will be a case of taking opportunities in the 1st half to build out their lead. And then manning the fort as the Eagles make their customary 2nd half attack.

We got away with some terrible shots at goal last year, especially from Michael O'Loughlin in the last quarter. I don't think we will be so lucky this year if we did that again. :eek:

So come on, under-estimate us YET AGAIN.:mad: :rolleyes: It will only make victoty all the more sweeter to be honest!

JF

Bloods Rule! said:
That's why we're justifiably underdogs.

The real reason you are starting underdogs is because WCE finished top and Sydney finished fourth.

Eagles to win comfortably, the difference to be Judd backed up by Kerr and Embley who both needed last week's game as match conditioning!

Bloods Rule! said:
That's why we're justifiably underdogs.

And what does 'underdogs mean'?? I see it repeated it over and over on BF, as if its a 'reason' you will win the Grand Final. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Neither the WCE or Syd are 'underdogs' going into this GF.

The Other Coach (TOC) said:
My opinion is that you dont have the cahones to shave with a safety razor, let alone put your balls where you gob is....:D

Injury will probably decide it, as it usually does in tight grannies....it'll either be the Swans by a small margin...or the Toasters by 40 points.

I'd just ask - why is it that you're accusing someone that's actually willing to make a prediction on the match of having no "cahones" (that's cojones), when you then promptly sit on the fence?

(It's spelt cojones)

Remove this Banner Ad

West Coast will spank the Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

Back