Western Bulldogs and their partnership with Ballarat a success

Remove this Banner Ad

This is the latest that I gleaned from the Development Victoria and Ballarat Council reps at Eureka Stadium on Wednesday. The first thing that I noticed is that they are not mucking about, demolition of the old showgrounds is well underway. They want the Athletics facility completely finished by April 2026.

I asked all of the questions that I thought that you folks would ask:

Q. Looking at the old Showgrounds, there are some heritage WW2 pavilions and huts that originated at the old Ballarat RAAF Base, is there any plan to preserve or relocate those?
A. We considered them and the general consensus was that they had no historical value. ... Yes, I nearly fell off my broomstick with discust!

Q. You have a small carpark planned adjacent to Howitt Street, is there any other plan to expand carparking in the vicinity of the stadium beyond that?
A. That is not within our scope in this stage of the development.

Q. The stadium's lighting I consider to be its Achilles Heal. I was here during that horror July 18 game where the lighting and supplementary lights were virtually ineffective. Is an upgrade to be included as part of this development?
A. That is not within our scope in this stage of the development. The Council are examining their options for this.

In July 2018 after the horror game against Port Adelaide when Ballarat's weather unleashed its best Winter blast, the media lambasted Ballarat and the Mayor Samantha McIntosh said at that time that "Lighting improvements will be part of any Council conditions for future stadium upgrades", so what happened? Wouldn't it be easier to relocate the existing light towers to the new athletics centre and install new higher output LED fitted light towers similar to those at Ikon Park and the VUWO for a piddling sum of $4 million? Crickets!!!!

You do realise that as long as the existing lighting situation remains that Ballarat will never get prime time free-to-air TV exposure, or have a shot at hosting BBL cricket in Summer like Launceston, Canberra, Cairns and even Albury currently do? It does seem to be almost anti "Development Victoria" doesn't it? An awkward laugh was the response.

Q. You are effectively removing a 4000-capacity standing hill and replacing with two stands of 5000 seating, does this mean that capacity will increase?
A. The Council think that 11,000 is a good number in consideration of prevailing parking and transport access limitations. My response - That probably makes sense given that the State Government have indicated that they are not interested in building a train platform or railway station in the vicinity this side of 2030. :( I noticed on the drive in tonight that the old MB Johns site is now being carved up and will soon be covered with small commercial and industrial businesses. That was perfect for development of sports fields and carparking, it seems like an opportunity lost.

Q. Okay, so what about the South-Western boundary between the existing video scoreboard and the South-Western standing hill. Is there a plan to increase standing elevated capacity in that part of the ground?
A. That part of the ground will be modified, including shifting the scoreboard around the boundary toward the goals and there will be elevated pathways constructed so there will be some increased elevated standing area in that zone. Our aim is to enhance total accessibility around the stadium. That there will be no stairs or ramps, just gradiented pathways. We will even modify the whole Gate 2 entrance to remove steps and the existing ramp

Q. Why did the designers create two stands and propose to place them where they have? Wouldn't it have been better to extend the existing main stand southward to block the southerly winds that have significant impact on the on field play?
A. The Ballarat Council insisted that they didn't want a big stand or a Kardinia Park clone, that they wanted the stadium to retain a regional vibe. So the two stands were made smaller and strategically positioned to frame the historic Selkirk Chimney from the main TV camera angle. ... You mean the expensive pay-to-view Kayo TV camera angle? ... A polite awkward laugh was the response.

Q. You are no doubt aware that the original architects (Peddle Thorp) future proofed the begezzus out of this stadium as part of the first stage design and build?
A. What do you mean? ... For instance, the existing stands were designed for expansion with minimal cost and effort. Look across at the Eastern Stand. The roof is designed to be removed easily and up to 20 rows added rearward to extend that stand's capacity by a further 2000. I can see how easy it would be to remove the existing roof and more or less create a new 3000 capacity stand that matches the design of two new stands that are about to be built. Eventually you would have three stands identical around the eastern boundary of the stadium comprising 8000 seats?

At this point, they realised that my husband and I knew a fair bit about the stadium's development and their answers became more on point :)

A. (The Ballarat Council representative looking at me surprised interjected to respond) You are exactly right! We did examine that as one of our first options for this stage but presently the boundary for the stadium's fence line along Creswick Road is too close to make those changes, but we are now seeking to extend the fence boundary out by several metres toward Creswick road to allow for the next stage of seating expansion to occur on the Eastern Stand as part of any future expansion works.

They did ask us at this point what our interest was in this, and I explained that I was an interested former North Ballarat Sports Club worker and we are both North Melbourne Tragics. The guy who I spoke to said "Quote ... North Melbourne could be playing two games a year on this ground along with the Bulldogs in the future". I responded ... "Not likely, the Western Bulldogs fought tooth and nail to get North Melbourne the Hell out of Ballarat in 2014 striking a deal with Dan Andrews. Yes, North had a fantastic relationship here with the Roosters and it supported both clubs wonderfully. North even built up a big support base here locally by 2014, but the Bulldogs have invested a lot of time and resources to establish their roots here in the community and to build a strong support base among the kids in the schools since 2015. They definitely would NOT welcome or want any other club sharing territory here ... Seriously, that isn't going to happen. I would consider Bendigo and the development of the Queen Elizabeth Oval as a serious alternative consideration for North Melbourne, but they need to get on the front foot now with that and not lob back into Victoria four years from now scratching their heads. If they want funding for that, they have to start now.

Q. You have allocated a generous recreational parkland on the Western side of the old Showgrounds, why not expand carparking there?
A. The Council indicated that they wanted that space reserved for future recreational use. They indicated that the area should be big enough to accommodate a future soccer pitch.

Q. These are going to be reasonably large stands by regional standards, how much bigger a higher will they each be relative to the existing Western Stand as a reference point?
A. The new stands will occupy a bigger footprint because the existing Western Stand currently seats 3200. The new stands will be a bit higher because they will have up to 30 rows of seating, but he seating pitch will be identical to the Western Stand. The roofline will be about 25 metres at their highest point relative to the oval, whereas the Western Stand is 17 metres above the boundary.

Q. How will the space underneath the new stands be used?
A. These areas will accommodate toilets, dedicated mother's rooms for baby changing and feeding etc. Additional change rooms and official areas for first aid, plus we will have under cover dedicated zones for food vans. ... That's fair enough, it would be a waste of resource to build dedicated kitchens and bars particularly when a lot of the charm of coming to a game here involves the range of food choices that come from the local food vans and the simple fact that the prices are cheaper and you can have a full-strength bevvy from a can. On a personal note, I am glad that you've kept the old scoreboard. Back in the day I served cans from the old "Can Bar" ;)

Q. On a different subject ... The athletics facility. A blue athletics track?
A. We have decided that the track will be a unique blue to match the blue of the original Eureka Flag. We have worked closely with the Ballarat Athletics Association to deliver what we believe will be the very best facility outside a capital city in Australia. The new athletics complex will feature a very modern clubhouse with three rows of covered seating along its frontage and new light towers.

There was more general discussion after that over tea and scones, but it was of a more general nature. I hope that I have shed some light on this for you all. There are some plusses (increased seating with better elevated viewing and better amenities), but I also personally think ... Not enoug (capacity will only moderately increase by about 1000, carparking and lights remain as the two issues that hamstring the potential of this stadium), my feelings on this upgrade are mixed but overall still positive. :)

IMG_20240629_110803_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240629_113118_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
This is the latest that I gleaned from the Development Victoria and Ballarat Council reps at Eureka Stadium on Wednesday. The first thing that I noticed is that they are not mucking about, demolition of the old showgrounds is well underway. They want the Athletics facility completely finished by April 2026.

Q. Looking at the old Showgrounds, there are some heritage WW2 pavilions and huts that originated at the old Ballarat RAAF Base, is there any plan to preserve or relocate those?
A. We considered them and the general consensus was that they had no historical value. ... Yes, I nearly fell off my broomstick!

Q. You have a small carpark planned adjacent to Howitt Street, is there any other plan to expand carparking in the vicinity of the stadium beyond that?

Q. The stadium's lighting I consider to be its Achilles Heal. I was here during that horror July 18 game where the lighting and supplementary lights were totally inadequate. Is an upgrade to be included as part of this development?
A. That is not within our scope in this stage of the development. The Council are examining their options for this.

In July 2018 after the horror game against Port Adelaide when Ballarat's weather unleashed its best Winter blast, the media lambasted Ballarat and the Mayor Samantha McIntosh said at that time that "Lighting improvements will be part of any Council conditions for future stadium upgrades", so what happened? Wouldn't it be easier to relocate the existing light towers to the new athletics centre and install new higher output LED fitted light towers similar to those at Ikon Park and the VUWO for a piddling sum of $4 million? Crickets!!!!

You do realise that as long as the existing lighting situation remains that Ballarat will never get prime time TV free-to-air TV exposure, or have a shot at hosting BBL cricket in Summer like Launceston, Canberra and even Albury currently do? It does seem to be almost anti "Development Victoria" doesn't it? An awkward laugh was the response.

Q. You are effectively removing a 4000-capacity standing hill and replacing with two stands of 5000 seating, does this mean that capacity will increase?
A. The Council think that 11,000 is a good number in consideration of prevailing parking and transport access limitations. My response - That probably makes sense given that the State Government have indicated that they are not interested in a train platform or railway station in the vicinity this side of 2030. :( I noticed on the drive in tonight that the old MB Johns site is now being carved up and will soon be covered with small commercial and industrial businesses. That was an opportunity lost.

Q. Okay, so what about the South-Western boundary between the existing video scoreboard and the South-Western standing hill. Is there a plan to increase standing elevated capacity in that part of the ground?
A. That part of the ground will be modified, including moving the scoreboard more toward the goals and there will be elevated pathways constructed so there will be some increased elevated standing area in that zone. Our aim is to enhance total accessibility around the stadium. That there will be no stairs or ramps, just gradiented pathways. We will even modify the whole Gate 2 entrance to remove steps.

Q. Why did the designers create two stands and propose to place them where they have? Wouldn't it have been better to extend the existing main stand southward to block the southerly winds that have significant impact on the on field play?
A. The Ballarat Council insisted that they didn't want a big stand or a Kardinia Park clone, that they wanted the stadium to retain a regional vibe. So the two stands were made smaller and strategically positioned to frame the historic Selkirk Chimney from the main TV camera angle. ... You mean the pay-per-view Kayo TV camera angle? ... A polite awkward laugh was the response.

Q. You are no doubt aware that the original architects (Peddle Thorp) future proofed the begezzus out of this stadium as part of the first stage design and build?
A. What do you mean? ... For instance, the existing stands were designed for expansion with minimal cost and effort. Look across at the Eastern Stand. The roof is designed to be removed easily and rows added rearward to extend that stand's capacity by a further 2000. I can see how easy it would be to remove the existing roof and more or less replicate a new 3000 capacity stand to virtually mirror the two new stands that are about to be built. Eventually you would have three stands identical around the eastern boundary of the stadium?

At this point, they realised that they weren't talking to a novice or interested bystander, their answers were more on point :)

A. (The Ballarat Council representative looking at me surprised) You are exactly right! We did examine that as one of our first options for this stage but presently the boundary for the stadium's fence line along Creswick Road would limit rearward extension, but we are now working through the legalities to extend the fence boundary out by several metres to allow for the next stage of seating expansion to occur on the Eastern Stand when that occurs.

They did ask me at this point what my interest was in this, and I explained that I was an interested former North Ballarat Sports Club worker and North Melbourne Tragic. The guy who I spoke to said "Quote ... North Melbourne could be playing two games a year on this ground along with the Bulldogs in the future". I responded ... "Not likely, the Western Bulldogs fought tooth and nail to get North Melbourne the Hell out of Ballarat in 2014 striking a deal with Dan Andrews. Yes, North had a fantastic relationship here with the Roosters and it supported both clubs wonderfully. North even built up a big support base here locally by 2014, but the Bulldogs have invested a lot of time and resources to establish their roots here in the community and to build a strong support base among the kids in the schools since 2015. They definitely would NOT welcome or want any other club sharing territory here ... Seriously, that isn't going to happen. I would consider Bendigo and the development of the Queen Elizabeth Oval as a serious alternative consideration for North Melbourne, but they need to get on the front foot now with that and not lob back into Victoria four years from now scratching their heads. If they want funding for that, they have to start now.

Q. You have allocated a generous recreational space on the Western side of the old Showgrounds, why not expand carparking there?
A. The Council indicated that they wanted that space reserved for future recreational use. They indicated that it should be able to accommodate a soccer pitch.

Q. These are going to be reasonably large stands by regional standards, how much bigger will they each be compared with the existing Western Stand as a reference point?
A. The new stands will occupy a bigger footprint because the existing Western Stand currently seats 3200. The new stands will be noticeably higher because they will have more rows of seating, but he seating pitch will be identical to the Western Stand. The roofline will be about 25 metres at their highest point relative to the oval, whereas the Western Stand is 17 metres.

Q. The concept diagrams indicate rooms beneath the new stands, what will those be used for?
A. These areas will accommodate toilets, dedicated mother's rooms for baby changing and feeding. Additional change rooms and official areas for first aid, plus we will have under cover dedicated zones for food vans and so on. ... That's fair enough, it would be a waste of resource to build dedicated kitchens and bars particularly when a lot of the charm of coming to a game here involves the range of food choices that come from the local food vans and the simple fact that the prices are cheaper and you can have a full-strength bevvy from a can. On a personal note, I am glad that you've kept the old scoreboard. Back in the day I served cans from the old "Can Bar" ;)

A. We have decided that the track will be a unique blue to match the blue of the original Eureka Flag. We have worked closely with the Ballarat Athletics Association to deliver what we believe will be the very best facility outside a capital city in Australia.

There was more general discussion after that over tea and scones, but it was of a more general nature. I hope that I have shed some light on this for you all. There are some plusses, but I also personally think ... Not enough, my emotions on this are mixed but overall still positive. :)

View attachment 2033854

View attachment 2033856
Great work Roogal.

I really appreciate your taking the time to do the research and post what you know here.

Thorough and most informative reporting Roogal. I must say, however, your incisive questioning and analysis left me feeling somewhat disappointed that Eureka/Mars will not reach it's potential as a great regional stadium. Perhaps the realities of funding and planning priorities give us something that is almost but not quite. At least Ballarat will have a facility that is far better than any previous or existing one.
Thanks again for your continuing work.

Thorough and most informative reporting Roogal. I must say, however, your incisive questioning and analysis left me feeling somewhat disappointed that Eureka/Mars will not reach it's potential as a great regional stadium. Perhaps the realities of funding and planning priorities give us something that is almost but not quite. At least Ballarat will have a facility that is far better than any previous or existing one.
Thanks again for your continuing work.
I got the impression that it will be a work in progress for quite some time. They have plenty of space on the Southern standing areas and existing Eastern Stand to raise capacity in time to 16,000+, but that will not occur until such time as Creswick Road is eventually widened and a train platform is eventually built. These will indeed happen in the fullness of time. From the Council rep who was present, I got the impression that they do want to prioritise a lighting upgrade. With a looming Federal Election in May next year they may seek a grant from the Commonwealth along with a list of other higher priorities for the city. They may most likely pitch at the State Liberal opposition members locally who are pressing hard for the events train platform during the 2026 state election campaign. At the end of the day, Ballarat is getting a great deal here. There are also significant upgrades being made at the Basketball Centre including a major multi-media and lighting upgrade and installation of a media broadcast suite to lift the centre from regional to a national standard. Also they are getting a brand new oval with lighting and pavilion at Miners Rest. I was also told that the Number 2 oval is getting a brand new pavilion to properly accommodate North Ballarat Cricket and Football and visiting teams when Mars Stadium is in use or being prepped for other uses. The new pavilion to be funded by North Ballarat Sports Club.

So it's all about priorities.

Last edited:

A. We considered them and the general consensus was that they had no historical value. ... Yes, I nearly fell off my broomstick with discust!

Q. The stadium's lighting I consider to be its Achilles Heal. I was here during that horror July 18 game where the lighting and supplementary lights were virtually ineffective. Is an upgrade to be included as part of this development?

You do realise that as long as the existing lighting situation remains that Ballarat will never get prime time free-to-air TV exposure, or have a shot at hosting BBL cricket in Summer like Launceston, Canberra, Cairns and even Albury currently do? It does seem to be almost anti "Development Victoria" doesn't it? An awkward laugh was the response.

A. The Council think that 11,000 is a good number in consideration of prevailing parking and transport access limitations. My response - That probably makes sense given that the State Government have indicated that they are not interested in building a train platform or railway station in the vicinity this side of 2030. :( I noticed on the drive in tonight that the old MB Johns site is now being carved up and will soon be covered with small commercial and industrial businesses. That was perfect for development of sports fields and carparking, it seems like an opportunity lost.

A. That part of the ground will be modified, including shifting the scoreboard around the boundary toward the goals and there will be elevated pathways constructed so there will be some increased elevated standing area in that zone. Our aim is to enhance total accessibility around the stadium. That there will be no stairs or ramps, just gradiented pathways. We will even modify the whole Gate 2 entrance to remove steps and the existing ramp

A. The Ballarat Council insisted that they didn't want a big stand or a Kardinia Park clone, that they wanted the stadium to retain a regional vibe. So the two stands were made smaller and strategically positioned to frame the historic Selkirk Chimney from the main TV camera angle. ... You mean the expensive pay-to-view Kayo TV camera angle? ... A polite awkward laugh was the response.

A. What do you mean? ... For instance, the existing stands were designed for expansion with minimal cost and effort. Look across at the Eastern Stand. The roof is designed to be removed easily and up to 20 rows added rearward to extend that stand's capacity by a further 2000. I can see how easy it would be to remove the existing roof and more or less create a new 3000 capacity stand that matches the design of two new stands that are about to be built. Eventually you would have three stands identical around the eastern boundary of the stadium comprising 8000 seats?

At this point, they realised that my husband and I knew a fair bit about the stadium's development and their answers became more on point :)

A. (The Ballarat Council representative looking at me surprised interjected to respond) You are exactly right! We did examine that as one of our first options for this stage but presently the boundary for the stadium's fence line along Creswick Road is too close to make those changes, but we are now seeking to extend the fence boundary out by several metres toward Creswick road to allow for the next stage of seating expansion to occur on the Eastern Stand as part of any future expansion works.

They did ask us at this point what our interest was in this, and I explained that I was an interested former North Ballarat Sports Club worker and we are both North Melbourne Tragics. The guy who I spoke to said "Quote ... North Melbourne could be playing two games a year on this ground along with the Bulldogs in the future". I responded ... "Not likely, the Western Bulldogs fought tooth and nail to get North Melbourne the Hell out of Ballarat in 2014 striking a deal with Dan Andrews. Yes, North had a fantastic relationship here with the Roosters and it supported both clubs wonderfully. North even built up a big support base here locally by 2014, but the Bulldogs have invested a lot of time and resources to establish their roots here in the community and to build a strong support base among the kids in the schools since 2015. They definitely would NOT welcome or want any other club sharing territory here ... Seriously, that isn't going to happen. I would consider Bendigo and the development of the Queen Elizabeth Oval as a serious alternative consideration for North Melbourne, but they need to get on the front foot now with that and not lob back into Victoria four years from now scratching their heads. If they want funding for that, they have to start now.

Q. You have allocated a generous recreational parkland on the Western side of the old Showgrounds, why not expand carparking there?
A. The Council indicated that they wanted that space reserved for future recreational use. They indicated that the area should be big enough to accommodate a future soccer pitch.

Q. These are going to be reasonably large stands by regional standards, how much bigger a higher will they each be relative to the existing Western Stand as a reference point?
A. The new stands will occupy a bigger footprint because the existing Western Stand currently seats 3200. The new stands will be a bit higher because they will have up to 30 rows of seating, but he seating pitch will be identical to the Western Stand. The roofline will be about 25 metres at their highest point relative to the oval, whereas the Western Stand is 17 metres above the boundary.

Q. How will the space underneath the new stands be used?
A. These areas will accommodate toilets, dedicated mother's rooms for baby changing and feeding etc. Additional change rooms and official areas for first aid, plus we will have under cover dedicated zones for food vans. ... That's fair enough, it would be a waste of resource to build dedicated kitchens and bars particularly when a lot of the charm of coming to a game here involves the range of food choices that come from the local food vans and the simple fact that the prices are cheaper and you can have a full-strength bevvy from a can. On a personal note, I am glad that you've kept the old scoreboard. Back in the day I served cans from the old "Can Bar" ;)

A. We have decided that the track will be a unique blue to match the blue of the original Eureka Flag. We have worked closely with the Ballarat Athletics Association to deliver what we believe will be the very best facility outside a capital city in Australia. The new athletics complex will feature a very modern clubhouse with three rows of covered seating along its frontage and new light towers.

There was more general discussion after that over tea and scones, but it was of a more general nature. I hope that I have shed some light on this for you all. There are some plusses (increased seating with better elevated viewing and better amenities), but I also personally think ... Not enoug (capacity will only moderately increase by about 1000, carparking and lights remain as the two issues that hamstring the potential of this stadium), my feelings on this upgrade are mixed but overall still positive. :)

View attachment 2033854

View attachment 2033856
Great post. Awesome questions. I am constantly staggered by the incompetence of local councils in this recent era. I know we vote for them but their short sightedness is next level. To think this ‘stadium’ would look anything like Kardinia Park is a ludicrous answer. The southern end is ripe for the stand (cold southerlies) not where the hill is. That fact they are pulling down a 4,000 capacity hill for $120,000,000 two small grandstands with a capacity of 5000 is crazy. And the existing big grandstand was designed to be extended? And then to worry about a chimney for the tv cameras?
We need to do cheaper sloped terraces with seating without the roof structure in Australia like many other countries do, US and UK seek to do well. This type of set up would be perfect for outer wing at the Western Oval too, at least to about 25 rows of seating?

Great post. Awesome questions. I am constantly staggered by the incompetence of local councils in this recent era. I know we vote for them but their short sightedness is next level. To think this ‘stadium’ would look anything like Kardinia Park is a ludicrous answer. The southern end is ripe for the stand (cold southerlies) not where the hill is. That fact they are pulling down a 4,000 capacity hill for $120,000,000 two small grandstands with a capacity of 5000 is crazy. And the existing big grandstand was designed to be extended? And then to worry about a chimney for the tv cameras?
We need to do cheaper sloped terraces with seating without the roof structure in Australia like many other countries do, US and UK seek to do well. This type of set up would be perfect for outer wing at the Western Oval too, at least to about 25 rows of seating?
Well said.

Well said.
Roogal firstly thank you for your updates, really appreciate the effort you go to in keeping us updated.

We do disagree, to the extent I hope the venture reverts back to the Roos and we properly fully focus on the Western region of Melbourne, 10 times the size of Ballarat and growing.

Personally love Ballarat, my Dad is from there, but we are a Western Suburbs of Melbourne Club. We have a population rivalling all capitals bar Sydney, all energy should be focused here

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Roogal firstly thank you for your updates, really appreciate the effort you go to in keeping us updated.

We do disagree, to the extent I hope the venture reverts back to the Roos and we properly fully focus on the Western region of Melbourne, 10 times the size of Ballarat and growing.

Personally love Ballarat, my Dad is from there, but we are a Western Suburbs of Melbourne Club. We have a population rivalling all capitals bar Sydney, all energy should be focused here

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app
You are right, the Western Side of Melbourne is booming, but not with Australians. It will be interesting to see what sports the Indian, SE Asian, Sri-Lankan and Sikh immigrants adopt in Australia. The A-League are hedging their bets that they will likely be drawn toward soccer. Now that Western United finally have the basics of their new stadium open for business in Tarneit it will test and challenge AFL support in those areas. But at least they'll like cricket and there won't be any problems pulling crowds to VUWO in summer to watch BBL and local cricket games. :thumbsu::) There's going to be a battle royal between AFL and soccer to win the hearts and minds of migrant school children in Melbourne's booming west.

Another thing to consider is that country football is struggling. It is dying in some areas where townships can barely pull enough interested youths together to form junior teams which ultimately affects the senior teams. Even in cities like Ballarat and Bendigo competition from basketball and soccer has seen the local footy comps not growing while the number of kids playing basketball and soccer has trebbled. I read in The Age last year that in Tassie, football is dying. Local footy comps are shrinking, not one new oval built in 10 years but 30 new basketball stadiums have been built over there since 2010. The AFL are acutely aware of this and have realised that if they keep football contained in the capital cities that it will kill country interest even further. Hence why they are playing games in Darwin, Alice Springs, Launceston, Hobart, Ballarat and parts of regional SA. The country leagues have fed a lot of great players to AFL in the past and nobody wants to lose that in the future.

The Western Bulldogs have put in a lot of work in the schools across Western Victoria (not just in Ballarat) to win future legions of supporters but more importantly to keep kids focussed on Aussie Rules. And I absolutely applaud that. 🙂

Last edited:
You are right, the Western Side of Melbourne is booming, but not with Australians. It will be interesting to see what sports the Indian, SE Asian, Sri-Lankan and Sikh immigrants adopt in Australia. The A-League are hedging their bets that they will likely be drawn toward soccer. Now that Western United finally have the basics of their new stadium open for business in Tarneit it will test and challenge AFL support in those areas. But at least they'll like cricket and there won't be any problems pulling crowds to VUWO in summer to watch BBL and local cricket games. :thumbsu::) There's going to be a battle royal between AFL and soccer to win the hearts and minds of migrant school children in Melbourne's booming west.

Another thing to consider is that country football is struggling. It is dying in some areas where townships can barely pull enough interested youths together to form junior teams which ultimately affects the senior teams. Even in cities like Ballarat and Bendigo competition from basketball and soccer has seen the local footy comps not growing while the number of kids playing basketball and soccer has trebbled. I read in The Age last year that in Tassie, football is dying. Local footy comps are shrinking, not one new oval built in 10 years but 30 new basketball stadiums have been built over there since 2010. The AFL are acutely aware of this and have realised that if they keep football contained in the capital cities that it will kill country interest even further. Hence why they are playing games in Darwin, Alice Springs, Launceston, Hobart, Ballarat and parts of regional SA. The country leagues have fed a lot of great players to AFL in the past and nobody wants to lose that in the future.

The Western Bulldogs have put in a lot of work in the schools across Western Victoria (not just in Ballarat) to win future legions of supporters but more importantly to keep kids focussed on Aussie Rules. And I absolutely applaud that. 🙂
Another great post. Aussie Rules football has has an incredible history of existence across a wide demographic and classes. This is rapidly changing for the worse. This is becoming a private school game, ran by a privileged private clique who don’t really get the Western Suburbs and every wave of migrants to Australia. Aussie rules grounds suit cricket and BBL on a warm summer’s night at the Whitten Oval and Mars Stadium would be fantastic.
The new Indian migrants play cricket on our Aussie rules ovals now, even in winter! But what will their children play? That is up to us at the Bulldogs and the AFL’s help too to make these kids footy fans and players.
Why wouldn’t we at the Bulldogs have a ‘new western suburbs migrants’ round with Indian and other flags incorporated into our jumper? Let’s get them on board.

That stadium in Tarneit is never getting built for soccer.

Good points about the competition from soccer and basketball, and the decline of the game at grass roots level in the country.

I take issue with your using the term "booming, but not with Australians". These people are as Australian as the Liberatores, the Bontempellis, the Houlis, the Saads, the Jongs and the Zurhaars, none of whose families would have been here for more than a generation. Or two at the most. However I get what you mean and I agree there is a competition for their sporting allegiance and it needs to be addressed.

It doesn't have to be one or the other though. Most keen sports fans will follow several sports and will attend games if the standard is high and the experience an enjoyable one. So even if the Australians from South Asia are cricket fanatics they can still be enticed to follow a club and attend games.

Getting kids to play the game at junior level is hard. I have no contact with any junior AFL these days but I'd hope they play with reduced team sizes, not 16-18 per side. Junior soccer can be played with 11 or fewer players per team. Basketball only needs 5-6. Can AFL do the same? It makes it easier to put a team on the park (or court), or to field multiple teams that can be graded to cater for different levels of ability. If it's not a fun experience for the kids and their parents they will go elsewhere.

Anyway I'd ask the usual Mexican girl question: why can't we promote footy in the country AND in the western suburbs? Are we stretched so thin that we can't do both? Surely not!

Don't underestimate the effect of parents steering kids away from AFL due to the heavily publicised concussion issues. Every second game there's a player laying unconcious after a head knock. I know my wife sees that and routinely says our boys won't be playing footy.

That stadium in Tarneit is never getting built for soccer.
The first stage of it is opened now with an 800 seat permanent stand and 2000 scaffold seats on theother side. Ground can hold 6000 ATM and will be expanded in time. Western United aren't playing any more games in Ballarat or Geelong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back