Western Region Football League team (Part 1)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Western Region Football League team

Hoppers might have signed Brad Murphy, but i reckon Rob Mentha going to prove as the best signing of the year. I know he played a few games at Sunshine last year. But being a full time player down there, and seeing the condition that Rob keeps himself in, look out the rest of the competition.

Would be good to see a few upsets this season.

I like the Kangaroos as a roughie.

Spotswood will still take some beating though!

Dont know how well hoppers will go. Dont see logic behind their club sometimes. Kieren Reynolds - didnt he play footy in the 80's???
i think the best signing of the year will be Jimmy Hollow and Ryan Edwards wont be far behind him.

Can Eddy go a bit can he? What sort of player? possie? Wasnt sure bout him, had heard he was a good footballer. Agree bout Hollow, i think he will be the standout midfielder this year. Looks like the Saints might be on the improve.

hear just before from a friend that frosty has done his ankle and will be out for the year,needs a reco.....if true this will probably be the end of an outstanding career and easily the best wrfl player in the last 20 years,at least he can still have an influence from the side lines..good luck frosty

i think the best signing of the year will be Jimmy Hollow and Ryan Edwards wont be far behind him.

Looks like there will be some quality recruits from a few sides this year,
at colts look out for Adrian"PARDO" Partridge,Sam Hoath to be standouts and Robbie Wittmar,he mite not be a recruit but only played half a game this year but if we can get him to play most years they way he destroys players at training he will be the best fwd in the comp without doubt.......just my opinion though and yes it my be bias but lets just see.

long and direct, as much as i would like to slag you off too, but what you have written is right as well, and for my premiership buddies that i'm slagging off. You can see them running around in Divvy 2 with there pocket full of $$$$$$$$$ and i'm not talking about reserve players either!

Heard today that West have formally requested to the League to stay in Div.2.

I need to add a few words to your statement to give another perspective. Instead of blooding so many good young players this should be changed to bloody confusing so many good young players.

Hoppers No loss - sunshine to be determined

must have been real confusing for all the youngsters playing in last 2 flags????? and quite a few of them tasting senior footy over last few years.
They looked really confused at 1/4 time of the 2007 gf, up by approx 7 goals to no score.:p:p

i dont think we should hide behind the "jobs for the boys" scenario here peoples:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

ps. and l am a hoppers person and a very disappointed one at what happened. situations like this give our club a bad name:thumbsdown:

What happened to Bones McGhie 5 year plan when he started. when he started they were in div1, dropped to div 2 and won the flag in his 5th year. pity he didn't look past the 5th year...............

everyone in the comp knew this was going to happen except West. guess they didn't deadbolt them doors tight enough to stop the stampede out of shorten reserve grand final night.

unfortunately your div 2 senior flag means nothing as your club has gone backwards for 2008:eek: despite plenty of hype from bones himself about recruits and making a dent on division 1 in 2008

I heard that its too late for them to go into divy 2 , got to do it before the new year so west will be in divy 1 for 2008 but lets hope they can field both sides. Also heard they signed a few young aboriginal players from up bush.

More woe for Yarraville.

WRFL website has Morgan King from Yarraville going to Sunshine. Also heard the Yarraville centre half back (or a key defender) is going to Sunshine.

Suprised Cabs/Travvy didn't let Big Footy know this.

More woe for Yarraville.

WRFL website has Morgan King from Yarraville going to Sunshine. Also heard the Yarraville centre half back (or a key defender) is going to Sunshine.

Surprised Cabs/Travvy didn't let Big Footy know this.

Not a bad recruit from sunshine there devil. Morgan can play a bit and if he keeps his gob shut and concentrates, he should benefit from the quality onball brigade at sunshine.

hear just before from a friend that frosty has done his ankle and will be out for the year,needs a reco.....if true this will probably be the end of an outstanding career and easily the best wrfl player in the last 20 years,at least he can still have an influence from the side lines..good luck frosty

Out for 6 weeks, will play round 1.

More woe for Yarraville.

Suprised Cabs/Travvy didn't let Big Footy know this.

Looks like the cat is out of the bag. guess it was only a matter of time. Yeh Morgs has been training with us for a few weeks. Should be a really good pick up... big, strong overhead and aggressive, kicks the ball really well. something we really needed. Hes also brought his mate Thorny across who is another big body, played CHB at Yarraville so he should slot in nicely. Finally we have some height to go with our midfield.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks like the cat is out of the bag. guess it was only a matter of time. Yeh Morgs has been training with us for a few weeks. Should be a really good pick up... big, strong overhead and aggressive, kicks the ball really well. something we really needed. Hes also brought his mate Thorny across who is another big body, played CHB at Yarraville so he should slot in nicely. Finally we have some height to go with our midfield.

I agree with you josh morgs is a cat.....lol....he will be a very handy pick up though. thorny is a quality bloke also, although better as a medium defender than a tall defender.....saul kicked 6 on him in a quarter last year.
What is a concern though is how bad yarraville will be this year

Can Eddy go a bit can he? What sort of player? possie? Wasnt sure bout him, had heard he was a good footballer. Agree bout Hollow, i think he will be the standout midfielder this year. Looks like the Saints might be on the improve.
yeah he will be a good pick up, half back or on baller type great skills and quick played up bush last year after leaving douttas.

yeah he will be a good pick up, half back or on baller type great skills and quick played up bush last year after leaving douttas.

Another recruit for Sunshine will be big bad Tommy 'sour cream' Hill.. 190cm, and a big frame, has been buiding up his rig shearing sheep in colbinabbin all summer and will inflict some serious pain on WRFL forwards this year, will wear them like a glove. Expect to see some big games from this kid as he constantly clears the backline with his trademark 'leggoman' meets 'flying doormat' hairstyle..

I agree with you josh morgs is a cat.....lol....he will be a very handy pick up though. thorny is a quality bloke also, although better as a medium defender than a tall defender.....saul kicked 6 on him in a quarter last year.
What is a concern though is how bad yarraville will be this year

:pNo they will be champions didn't they pick up Hewitt from Albion:p

:pNo they will be champions didn't they pick up Hewitt from Albion:p
There is a bit of talk around the league about clubs struggling and here is the word from yarra and a few other clubs.
Wst have not gone to the league yet, they have asked when is the final date they can decide to go to div 2 and the date is 2 weeks before the start of the season. Therefore there is still 6 weeks to go for them to try and get their numbers up.
Time will tell.
As for yarra have not been down for a while as training not on yarra oval but from al reports have lost a few and picked up a few.
Departures - Dean Chandler Glenorden
CLint Foreman - Albion
Aaron Donaldson - Albion
Morgan King - Sunshine (pending)

Arrivals - Brad Hewitt Albion
Rod McClusky - Unsure
Brad Fuller Year off
Damian Franklin - Lara
Nathan Jackal - Parkside

To my knowledge these are the only key departures and arrivals so far at yarra. Yes I believe there is talk of players wanting to leave to go play elsewhere but unfortunately all of these players are contracted.
A player like Andrew Thorn for example signed a contract last season and now wants to leave. I beleive the club is standing tall and refusing to clear all contracted players which means the only losses from last season are the above mentioned.
This poses another question for Big Footy subscribers and followers.
If a players signs a contract then has achange of heart, what is the obligation of a club to let him go?
In a case of yarra wherer they need numbers shuld they let them go or not.
What do Big Footy readers think...

There is a bit of talk around the league about clubs struggling and here is the word from yarra and a few other clubs.
Wst have not gone to the league yet, they have asked when is the final date they can decide to go to div 2 and the date is 2 weeks before the start of the season. Therefore there is still 6 weeks to go for them to try and get their numbers up.
Time will tell.
As for yarra have not been down for a while as training not on yarra oval but from al reports have lost a few and picked up a few.
CLint Foreman - Albion
Aaron Donaldson - Albion

Rod McClusky - Unsure
Brad Fuller Year off
Damian Franklin - Lara
Nathan Jackal - Parkside

To my knowledge these are the only key departures and arrivals so far at yarra. Yes I believe there is talk of players wanting to leave to go play elsewhere but unfortunately all of these players are contracted.
A player like Andrew Thorn for example signed a contract last season and now wants to leave. I beleive the club is standing tall and refusing to clear all contracted players which means the only losses from last season are the above mentioned.
If a players signs a contract then has achange of heart, what is the obligation of a club to let him go?
In a case of yarra wherer they need numbers shuld they let them go or not.

Add Peter Corredig to that list...........moving on to Keilor Park in the EDFL - two best mates play there and has been training since day one!

I think he is another with a signed contract......?

If the player is young enough, sees the club is struggling to stay afloat and wants to play with mates elsewhere, why stop them!

If it is to another club in the same league, thats a different story, but to a club in "another league" - why is it an issue if the player doesn't want to be there??

Just my opinion!:thumbsu:

Time will tell.
Clint Foreman - Albion
Aaron Donaldson - Albion

Rod McClusky - Unsure
Brad Fuller Year off
Damian Franklin - Lara
Nathan Jackal - Parkside

A player like Andrew Thorn for example signed a contract last season and now wants to leave. I believe the club is standing tall and refusing to clear all contracted players which means the only losses from last season are the above mentioned.
If a players signs a contract then has a change of heart, what is the obligation of a club to let him go?
In a case of yarra where they need numbers should they let them go or not.

If their heart is not in it, let the dead wood go, better to build a club/team with those who put THEIR clubs needs ahead of their own.

i agree with you Obe, ideally it's best to let those that don't want to play go wherever they want and focus on those that are there for the clubs best interests.

However it poses a problem when contracts are signed between player and club, which the club then uses as a basis for recruitment (i.e. 'Come play for us, we're on the up and up, X number of contracted players and looking to do well") then the contracted players decide the change their minds for whatever reason.

In that instance im of the opinion the player should man up to his signature and honour his word. Throws the whole structure out of a coach and committees plan when committed players suddenly decide the grass is greener on the other side.

it's a tuff one and does not always end well.

If the player is young enough, sees the club is struggling to stay afloat and wants to play with mates elsewhere, why stop them!

If it is to another club in the same league, thats a different story, but to a club in "another league" - why is it an issue if the player doesn't want to be there??

Just my opinion!:thumbsu:[/quote]

A lot of different variables when a player signs a contract with a Club then has a change of heart and wants to leave.

The Club would properly feel blighted if the guy signed a 2 year deal and has only stayed one year - there may have been a sign on fee involved - the contract term & money payable are more than likely linked together as part of negotiations etc etc

Having said that I believe most Clubs would be approachable in regards to terminating an agreement if the player is upfront before submitting a clearance - however the agreement was entered into by both parties in good faith and both parties should be bound by that agreement.[/U]

The player puts his hand out and the Club pays -both have obligations there after and unless either party fails to fulfill their obligations or a mutual decision is made the agreement should stand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back