Western Region Football League Team (Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am fairly new to this league, but it would appear people have vast memories and ability to exaggerate incidents to hold a grudge for a great period of time. It actually makes interesting reading when subscribers talk about football issues other than who hit who on and off the field and what could, should and would happen to them.
Any chance that those who want to talk tough can start another forum or private message each other?

Interesting thought Rock that Sunshine would push Spotty.... I have played in a couple of fairly handy leagues, and the Spotty side I have seen this year, would be one of the best sides I have seen in park footy. But it all depends on the day who can produce. When talking about recruits to the league, O'Keefe would be up there as one of the top 5, he is kicking goals out of the midfield and keenan wouldn't be complaining to much when he gets on the lead for him.

not suprised that rock could tip sunshine, the kangas always play well against us and we rate them pretty highly and it is at sunshine, spotty obviously the bench mark but everone is beatable

if sunshine get a run on they are very difficult to stop when they have momentum but i think spotty will still win by 4 or 5 goals

you are right about o'keefe though with all the big names that came into the wrfl this year he seems to have slipped under the guard somehow but has started the year very well

Let's talk footy enough of the tough talk.
Finally a couple of good games this week, spotty v sunshine should be a cracker, i think if sunshine have a full list they will knock spotty off this week at home in front of the big crowd.
Cabs hows the team looking??
Albionv hoppers should also be a great contest but i think hoppers will win this one the cat have been going well but a desperate hoppers will take this one out.
How strongs will each team be this week???/ Any injury concerns?? Could someone from hoppers,spotty,albion and the kangas help us out.:thumbsu:

geez a few big calls there. albion in top form. steve zavarlas on fire across the back flank jason butina looking strong up forward. but i havn't seen hoppers so that will be a good game. umm i think blake richards might be back rock played 75% of round 1 and came off a bit sore. has missed the past two. should be an inclusion. other then that i don't think any injury. whats the news on hoppers

Interesting thought Rock that Sunshine would push Spotty.... I have played in a couple of fairly handy leagues, and the Spotty side I have seen this year, would be one of the best sides I have seen in park footy. But it all depends on the day who can produce. When talking about recruits to the league, O'Keefe would be up there as one of the top 5, he is kicking goals out of the midfield and keenan wouldn't be complaining to much when he gets on the lead for him.

Yes spotty are certainly the team to beat, just think sunshine will be ready to play a top game and spotty mite just not be ready for this one but i'm probably wrong.

Not only o'keefe but mat shannon is back and along with mcgee i think they will be harder to beat this year than last from our point of view, but as cougar said anyone is beatable and in 18 days we will get to have a crack at them.

Let's talk footy enough of the tough talk.
Finally a couple of good games this week, spotty v sunshine should be a cracker, i think if sunshine have a full list they will knock spotty off this week at home in front of the big crowd.
Cabs hows the team looking??
Albionv hoppers should also be a great contest but i think hoppers will win this one the cat have been going well but a desperate hoppers will take this one out.
How strongs will each team be this week???/ Any injury concerns?? Could someone from hoppers,spotty,albion and the kangas help us out.:thumbsu:

really looking forward to this fridays game, i think its a great initative by the comp and the two clubs, should draw a big crowd.

we are going in with pretty much a full llist to choose from, only one still questionable is spud theodore, but he may be right this week. will be some good match ups all around the ground, maybe foley might have to play back this week?? as we have a fairly tall forward line, with molan in top form. our backline has been superb all year, even thou the oppistion has been ordinary the last couple, the backs have set up alot of play for us. should be a really good test for us this friday.

okeefe has had a great start to the season he is definatley a top line player in the comp, matt shannon also a very good in for us also 2 or 3 others who are more than handy. The delivery from all the mids has been a1 this year so life has been pretty good down in the goal square:thumbsu:.

really looking forward to this fridays game, i think its a great initative by the comp and the two clubs, should draw a big crowd.

we are going in with pretty much a full llist to choose from, only one still questionable is spud theodore, but he may be right this week. will be some good match ups all around the ground, maybe foley might have to play back this week?? as we have a fairly tall forward line, with molan in top form. our backline has been superb all year, even thou the oppistion has been ordinary the last couple, the backs have set up alot of play for us. should be a really good test for us this friday.

okeefe has had a great start to the season he is definatley a top line player in the comp, matt shannon also a very good in for us also 2 or 3 others who are more than handy. The delivery from all the mids has been a1 this year so life has been pretty good down in the goal square:thumbsu:.

Whats got better delivery spottys midfield or the local pizza place.

Think we still have a few to come back in. Still no Ackas, Mentha, McGoldrick and possibly a few others. Might get Harrison back this week, along with Lubke. Really looking forward to this game, last few years Spotty have had our measure, think its been close to 10 goal hidings the last 3 or 4 times. Although as cougarman said when we get a run on we are hard to stop, especially at home. I'd imagine Foley will play forward, him and Morgz have really started working well together. Goring may head down back this weekend, hes been running through the midfield of late. Spottys are strong right across the ground, but there forward line seems pretty potent. Think the key for us is our ability to run and carry the ball for 4 quarters, hopefully Spotty might be a bit relaxed after a few easy wins.

ackas back when did he last play? how is his back i heard he might of hurt it again in thailand???? or was that santa falling off the scooter? whats wrong with goldie not his nose still is it? in the end i hope ycw win then come to albion next week all cocky like last year. will be a good one at albion next week with the tent up again:)

Didnt hear that about his back. but thats not the reason he hasnt been playing, he had a knee reco last year so he should be back soon. santa did fall off a scooter, u seem to know it all, any chance u were there? haha. wont be going down to albion cocky at all, win or lose this weekend. think that that you would be favourite with ur pick ups this year. love that beer tent down there in the pocket, quite a funny day in the end.

Think we still have a few to come back in. Still no Ackas, Mentha, McGoldrick and possibly a few others. Might get Harrison back this week, along with Lubke. Really looking forward to this game, last few years Spotty have had our measure, think its been close to 10 goal hidings the last 3 or 4 times. Although as cougarman said when we get a run on we are hard to stop, especially at home. I'd imagine Foley will play forward, him and Morgz have really started working well together. Goring may head down back this weekend, hes been running through the midfield of late. Spottys are strong right across the ground, but there forward line seems pretty potent. Think the key for us is our ability to run and carry the ball for 4 quarters, hopefully Spotty might be a bit relaxed after a few easy wins.

Well i'll change my tip you need mentha and goldie to win,against spotty, but still should be a tight contest, spotty by 25pts

Yes spotty are certainly the team to beat, just think sunshine will be ready to play a top game and spotty mite just not be ready for this one but i'm probably wrong.

Not only o'keefe but mat shannon is back and along with mcgee i think they will be harder to beat this year than last from our point of view, but as cougar said anyone is beatable and in 18 days we will get to have a crack at them.

Sinnot is also a very handy new player and Bondy and Molan are basically new recruits given their injury and form last year.

Sinnot is also a very handy new player and Bondy and Molan are basically new recruits given their injury and form last year.

Molan played in the grand final so he's no new recruit, bondy will have to push puhar out the team to get a game.
So who are the the one's gone from the premeirship team,you,monty,szalay any playing two's??
INS-MCGEE,SHANNON.O'KEEFE,SINNOTT, any others
To be honest the big plus for spotty is mcgee probably their only weakness last year, shannon replaces monty,o'keefe replaces beazer probably with a bit more pace,so more midfield depth and a ruckmen,so a little better than last year....but maybe not as fit according to some players as ben kelly is to keen on doing the hard training as thoedore was last year....that's just what i've heard and i have made that mistake in the past also.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This weekend's games.

Spotty just to get over the line to Sunshine (king to kick 5)
Albion in a close one against hoppers
Yarra/Seddon to beat West footscray (Wooden sppon)
Port colts to smash Glenordinary by 15 goals+
Altona who player well last week to beat St Albans

Molan played in the grand final so he's no new recruit, bondy will have to push puhar out the team to get a game.
So who are the the one's gone from the premeirship team,you,monty,szalay any playing two's??
INS-MCGEE,SHANNON.O'KEEFE,SINNOTT, any others
To be honest the big plus for spotty is mcgee probably their only weakness last year, shannon replaces monty,o'keefe replaces beazer probably with a bit more pace,so more midfield depth and a ruckmen,so a little better than last year....but maybe not as fit according to some players as ben kelly is to keen on doing the hard training as thoedore was last year....that's just what i've heard and i have made that mistake in the past also.

I know Mollo played last year but he was injured all year and didnt have the year everybody expected from him. He will basically be a new player given how much better he will be this year. Monty is very hard to replace even though he didnt have the best finals sesries. Bryce Hayes has gone and Im pretty sure Peter Wilson isnt playing and he is very under-rated as Im sure you'd agree. He did a pretty good job on you in a couple of games last year. Im up here but am missing home a bit so I may be back the 2nd half of the year. I may not get a game though the way they are going. Its a funny 1 with the training. We definitely did a lot more hard running at training last year but Im pretty sure everybodys 3km time trials were pretty good this year in comparison to last year. Chops puts a huge emphasis on intensity so maybe the guys are training shorter but more intense. Who knows.

So basically its been in - Shannon, McGhie, OKeeke and Sinnot and out Me, Monty, Wilson and Hayes. You would have to say that the in's are better than the out's.

This weekend's games.

Spotty just to get over the line to Sunshine (king to kick 5)
Albion in a close one against hoppers
Yarra/Seddon to beat West footscray (Wooden sppon)
Port colts to smash Glenordinary by 15 goals+
Altona who player well last week to beat St Albans
This weekends games.

Spotty to smash Sunshine by 9 goals. Molan to kick 6.
West Footscray to just beat Yarraville in a close one.
Port Colts to smash Glenorden. Perkins to kick 7.
Hoppers to beat Albion by 4 goals. Albions forward line still a concern, Butina only target.
St Albans by 8 goals over Altona, Saints will bounce back after a terrible effort last week. Spooner to kick 7.

The points system, a concept that will even up the competition.
This is how it works- Each team is ranked at the start of the year on previous year and have to put a team out on the park up to but not exceeding a certain number of points.
ie Spotty, Hoppers, Port Melbourne, would start at 44 points
on the other end of the scale, you could have Yarraville, Wests and Altona starting on 52 points.
Any variance in these points can be appealed.

5 points for an AFL player or player from within the league (that help prevents clubs taking other players from sides within the league)
4 points- State League Player (VFL/SANFL/WAFL etc/Vic/SA Country representative etc from previous season. ie- 2007 season
3 points- Major League- These leagues have been classified and play in Worksafe cup- i.e Ballarat, Bendigo, Ovens & Murry, Geelong, Central Murry or Major metro leagues and A Grade Ammos
2 points- Any minor league- Eg- Riddell, Maryborough Castlemaine, GDFL and division 2 leagues and below A Grade ammos
1 point- Junior player or player that has been at the club for 3 years.

At the end of each season a point is deducted from each player to reward loyality as an ex AFL player in 3 years time would only be worth 2 points.

This system prevents sides from going out and just buying a side recklessly and also ensures that players become more loyal. It has shown in other leagues that recruits stay longer.

All sides have different points and this would be evaluated from the last 3 years results. That enables bottom sides or side elevated out of Div 2 to have a higher points allocation to recruit quality players, but not buy a whole team. It also places more emphasis on top teams to promote from within keep players at the club longer and develop juniors.

Thats roughly how it operates...
Sides have been known to play with 1 interchange player due to not being able to fit under the points system. It can be policed easily as all players are ranked at the start of the season and it can be notified on team sheet before game and the league administrtors would just go over it. Clubs could even monitor it, if the league handed out what all players are worth.
(this was pirated from another league talking about the same issues)

comments????

Interesting concept, just had a look at our side from the weekend and worked it out to be at 48 points. thats still with a few quality players out, including recruits from other clubs so the points tally would rise. A few things need to be clarified, a guy like Quinny who has been at the club for 4 years now but made the VFL list after he joined the club, does he count for 4 points? also someone like a Foley who originally came from us but played VFL last year, is he 4 points too? They have shown loyalty by returning or staying with the club so surely there points tally should be lowered. Would be interesting to see which teams would be under it, id imagine Altona would be well under it, along with Colts who have kept that core group for years. Albion you think would be well over with all the players they have recruited from within the league being worth 4 points each.

The points system, a concept that will even up the competition.

comments????

It seems a good system in the more affluent leagues, the colts side's average points under this system to date is 31.

Interested to read that of others.

No disrespect intended but even if West and Yarraville had 100 points they ( and others) do not have the environment or the cash to fulfill there quota.

A good proposal in theory but at the end of the day its all about the "people" at your particular club. Its a lame analegy but you tend to get out of things what you put into them in my expiriances

As for Luke and seeing things coming, he is at times a little oblivious to most things. If it were as you recalled , he obviously bears no grudge. He made his affections to Rock perfectly clear at a finals game we all watched last year. In fact if I didn't now better you would have though he was a colts person, his comments on his current club, their hierarchy and other insitefull matters were enlightening[/quote]

Obe1, what were luke's thoughts on his current club, hierachy and insiteful matters???

and lucky for you Obe, he wasn't talking about himself!!!!:p

It seems a good system in the more affluent leagues, the colts side's average points under this system to date is 31.

No disrespect intended but even if West and Yarraville had 100 points they ( and others) do not have the environment or the cash to fulfill there quota.

A good proposal in theory but at the end of the day its all about the "people" at your particular club. Its a lame analegy but you tend to get out of things what you put into them in my expiriances

With not being certain on how you would clasify a few players, the side Altona went out with on Saturday would total 29. Pretty sure it would only be slightly higher for the previous two weeks.

Round 1 was 28 and Round 2 was 29.

Interesting concept, just had a look at our side from the weekend and worked it out to be at 48 points. thats still with a few quality players out, including recruits from other clubs so the points tally would rise. A few things need to be clarified, a guy like Quinny who has been at the club for 4 years now but made the VFL list after he joined the club, does he count for 4 points? also someone like a Foley who originally came from us but played VFL last year, is he 4 points too? They have shown loyalty by returning or staying with the club so surely there points tally should be lowered. Would be interesting to see which teams would be under it, id imagine Altona would be well under it, along with Colts who have kept that core group for years. Albion you think would be well over with all the players they have recruited from within the league being worth 4 points each.

Brought this to the attention of an Albion supporter and he said of the Semi Final team last year ten of the 22 played there juniors at Albion.

I agree totally. This wont make the lower clubs any better, it will make the top clubs a little weaker. It will bring the top 5 or 6 sides closer together and it will make the gap between the top sides and the lower sides less but the lower sides have to find a way (and f#ck knows how) to get players to their club and make them stronger, rather than relying on restraints being put on other clubs to make them weaker. The gap between the top and bottom is way too great to solely rely on this system. It will also drop the quality in the comp.

The system is designed to reduce the number of middle rung clubs, poaching players from the cellar dwellars to top up their list, and entice clubs to seek players from outside the league. By doing this the overall strength of the league will improve as better players are brought into it.
It also gives benefit to teams who promote junior development and works at retaining the playing list from year to year.
From what i have seen in the league, there are some clubs who have managed to maintain their list over several years and have reaped the success of this, and as such should be rewarded.
The system can only work if every team plays atleast from u'16 up.
There will still be teams that will struggle, with injuries, retirements and poor years in junior development, but it will mean that most likely every team may struggle over time, because they won't be able to just go out and buy the best team they can afford, instead they will have to play locals and juniors.
It rewards loyalty.
And just a side note, it has been implemented to some extent in the NBL for the last couple of years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back