Toast What are some of the greatest calls made in history?

Remove this Banner Ad

It was a five point margin. Ablett was wonderful that day and undoubtably BOG but the gulf in class between Ottens and Richards and Bryan is what sealed the result for you.

I have it on DVD but have never watched it, I was at the game. The thing that sticks in my mind from it is both Ottens' and Ablett's last quarter efforts, they were on a different level.

I have it on DVD but have never watched it, I was at the game. The thing that sticks in my mind from it is both Ottens' and Ablett's last quarter efforts, they were on a different level.
59 inside 50s to 41, 27 scoring shots to 22, reminds me a bit of the 2013 Haw v Gee PF: yes they COULD have won it, but would have been quite a heist.

I don’t want to downplay Ottens' performance, but in an alternate universe where he wasn't available, Steven King was next up. Fair chance King would have also dominated Richards and Bryan.

Phil Davis doing a fitness test 10 mins before the players were due to enter the arena was one of the most farcical things I've seen, game was more or less over then and there

You kind of felt for them. They were absolutely busted up and did well to even make it that far. But you are right, that is one of only a few GF's that were effectively over before the game started. 1988, 2000 and 2007 are the others that spring to mind.

Hawks trading for a “broken down Shaun Burgoyne” with bad knees in 2010.

Won 3 flags and played 250 games for the club.

Hawthorn calling out Jarryd Roughead's name at number 2 in the draft, completely surprising everyone, but safe in the knowledge that neither the Bulldogs or Richmond were going to take Buddy at 3 or 4. It was the only way the Hawks would have been able to snare both gun forwards in the one draft and they nailed it perfectly with Jordan Lewis as icing on the cake.

You kind of felt for them. They were absolutely busted up and did well to even make it that far. But you are right, that is one of only a few GF's that were effectively over before the game started. 1988, 2000 and 2007 are the others that spring to mind.

I wonder if it’s the best they’ll do for quite a while, the culmination of what was going to be a superteam.

Scarlett making the call on T Stewart in the amateurs was very good as well.

I was also at the footy in 92 and I heard someone in the crowd yell- “Laidley you’re a girl!”- I thought nothing of it but spot on in the end.

You sure it was Scarlett ??

I thought it was the ex-Collingwood guy who was coaching him.

EDIT : Crosisca ??

We have got to get better - we're going to get back to work and our goal for this year is finals.

We did a review 18 months ago and we believe we've got the potential here to be playing finals footy and that is our goal for this year.

We don't want to fall across the line, we want to impact finals.

- Luke Sayers, May 2023

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I did not personally review the tens of thousands of documents and emails which PwC provided to the ATO as part of these processes, nor do I recall that being suggested to me by the ATO.

I was not aware of the existence of a confidentiality agreement signed by Peter Collins until I read about it in the media this year. I regret that I did not know about the breach of it earlier as I would have taken firm action.

- also Luke Sayers, August 2023

Technically 2002 should have been on that list. Collingwood were $5 to win the GF. Before the finals they were a massive $25 despite finishing 4th. The weather perhaps helped Collingwood but that’s why I rate Collingwood’s 2002 GF performance as possibly Collingwood’s best ever finals performance (played to 110% of their potential)

Collingwood biting the bullet and trading Brodie Grundy got them a premiership

Malthouse saying preseason he can't see how the Blues could drop a game for the year.

They got the spoon.

The greatest call is a matter of perspective.
Think that was the same season he gave a wonderful pregame rev up, only problem was that he had given the exact same speech a few weeks before.

Collingwood biting the bullet and trading Brodie Grundy got them a premiership
Eddie, on the way out and the club smouldering if not in flames, hires Graeme Wright (apparently with the full support of Nathan Buckley).

Less than three years in, cup on the shelf.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast What are some of the greatest calls made in history?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back