Toast What are some of the greatest calls made in history?

Remove this Banner Ad

PieLebo87

Hall of Famer
Veteran A Star Wars Fan 10k Posts Cake Connoisseur
Sep 14, 2005
Over the years we’ve seen a lot of eggs on faces, and these seem to capture the attention of the media and the fans - good ol’ tall poppy.

Well I’m here for the complete opposite. I wanna know what are some of the best mad dog calls in history.

I’ll kick it off with two that come to mind. Absolute definition of ‘this aged well’ and absolute killer calls.

1, Brendan Gale’s 2010 Footy Classified interview. 75k members, zero debt and 3 flags by 2020. ✅✅✅

2, It’s the week before Round 10 in 2001 and Essendon, the reigning Premiers, are sitting 8 and 1 before facing the Lions and Matthews pulls out the, “If it can bleed, we can kill it.” line which is now history with what they did that night at the GABBA, then the next 3 years.

What are your favourite calls that actually aged well in hindsight?

A shitfaced Simon Goodwin telling Michael Sheehan we’d win the flag before 2021 season commenced.

Phonse Kyne telling the 1958 Collingwood team who were massive underdogs against the all-conquering Melbourne. 'Today I want you to bleed for Collingwood'. Bleed they did and win they did.
The history around this is unbelievable, particularly with how big the rivalry was between the two clubs in the 1950s. It was in that very same year the two sides would create the AFL home and away attendance record of 99,356 which still stands today.

The Magpies would get themselves to that Grand Final to personally defend their own 4peat record - Dees had won ‘55, ‘56 and ‘57, 2 of them against the Pies and then again in ‘59 and ‘60. Pies effectively stopped what could’ve been 6 in a row! The Magpies had also lost the previous 10 successive clashes against the Demons which included the Dees thrashing the Pies in the Semi final 2 weeks prior to that 1958 GF.

Would’ve been epic being a part of that premiership.

While walking across a bridge on the outskirts of Geelong, birds frolicking in the pond below. Malcolm Blight told Gary Ablett to go home and think about what he really wants to get out of life, or continue walking over the bridge never to be seen again.

Gary arrived at preseason training the very next week and chose football.

God bless.

Also trading in Brad Ottens and Bomber going into bat for him. Debatable whether we win a thing if that doesn’t happen

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ron Barassi calling for a national competition back in the 70s.

Also Ron Barassi declaring he needed to leave MFC and the shadow of Norm Smith to test himself as a coach at Carlton.

4 years later he was a premiership coach.

Geelong giving up a lot to get Jeremy Cameron. Same for Richmond with Tom Lynch.

While walking across a bridge on the outskirts of Geelong, birds frolicking in the pond below. Malcolm Blight told Gary Ablett to go home and think about what he really wants to get out of life, or continue walking over the bridge never to be seen again.

Gary arrived at preseason training the very next week and chose football.

God bless.

Balliang Sanctuary was the location of that bridge I believe.

Cats deciding to retain Bomber, and in turn Bomber moving Ablett Jr into the midfield. Arguably aside from some of the board adjustments (Cook, Costa etc) the two most pivotal decisions our club has made since I’ve been alive.

The club brining in Neil Balme to take some of the weight off Bomba.

Also trading in Brad Ottens and Bomber going into bat for him. Debatable whether we win a thing if that doesn’t happen
The difference in the 2007 prelim and destroyed Jolly in the 2011 GF. Personally think without him the result of 2007 is reversed but you still salute in 2011.

E0M_mVAVoAAIkfB.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast What are some of the greatest calls made in history?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back