What are West Coast trying to do?

Remove this Banner Ad

Obviously trying to get in mature aged support and wins for Harley to try to keep him.

Instead of drafting some of his stablemates in his year and this year, they bring in older guys to get him wins for the now.

Feels like a matter of time and before he calls it a day there and the Eagles hit reset….again.

Our draft hand for next year is the one I listed. We still have it, and you're not going to change anyone's mind on that.
Hawthorn traded pick 14 for Carl F1 and F2 - Hawks are death riding Carlton. 👍👍

To get Barrass, Hawthorn then traded Haw F1, F2 and F3 for Barrass.

Hawks could have just given pick 14 and Haw F3 up for Barrass from the get go?

But the Hawks wanted to death ride Carlton. If the Blues finish above the Hawks in 2025, Hawks outsmarted themselves.

You both have no idea what you’re talking about. We effectively only traded pick 14 and swapped a 3rd round pick for WCE 4th round pick and brought in Battle and Barrass…

We still have Carlton’s 1st and 2nd in next years drafts

Lol.

And yet the Eagles now hold 90% of the Hawks original 2025 draft hand.

Basically the clubs entire original draft hand bar the 4th round.

For a 29yr old fullback with recent injury history.

Thems the facts. Hawks paid a price for being impatient and thinking they would be clever.

Blues make a GF and Hawks do a Crows and wowie, that would be a bit of a disaster. Fingers crossed. ;) :joycat:

Last edited:

Obviously trying to get in mature aged support and wins for Harley to try to keep him.

Instead of drafting some of his stablemates in his year and this year, they bring in older guys to get him wins for the now.

Feels like a matter of time and before he calls it a day there and the Eagles hit reset….again.

Nice dream. You know the Tigers are in for years of pain. So you dream up a scenario about another ckub that makes you feel better about your clubs dire situation.

Lol.

Whatever you need to do to feel better buddy. Keep your head up.;):thumbsu:

Eagles have Warner and Starcevich in their sights in a big way for next years trade period. Currently the best draft hand in 2025 and cap space to burn. Come 2026 they will have turned the corner from a list buikd perspective.

All trade week it was we better walk away with 2 firsts from Eagles supporters. That didn't happen, but now the spin is we have the whole hawks draft hand so we cleaned up. I've never seen a supporter base so excited about a 3rd round pick that will be in the 50s as a way of saying they WON the trade , when there 4th round we received back will be max 7 picks apart.

Their list is a complete mess , and it seems they want to try keep harley happy and be competitive. But outside of him they don't have any quality youth coming through. I mean, they could have had wardlaw/sheezel , reid and Pick 3 heading into next season but that isn't happening. Throw in yeo, McGovern, Kelly all retiring soon I'm not sure where they get enough quality to replace them and keep pushing up the ladder, especially when 2 top 10 picks will be handed over for Warner. Weird time for a one strong club, but I'm here for how delusional their supporters are.

Eagles have Warner and Starcevich in their sights in a big way for next years trade period. Currently the best draft hand in 2025 and cap space to burn. Come 2026 they will have turned the corner from a list buikd perspective.
Wouldn’t be surprised if they paid overs to get back into this draft. One of GWS picks in the first round would be worth the hawks first and second. Trainor would be a good get to add to your backline.

But the Hawks wanted to death ride Carlton. If the Blues finish above the Hawks in 2025, Hawks outsmarted themselves.
West Coast didn’t accept hawthorns 14 and 2nd round for a return of there 3rd, why would they accept 14 and f3?

Every Hawthorn member on these boards knew this before you did, and understood it better.

We also understood that our club backed us to finish above Carlton.

But keep on stating the obvious. It really does suit you.

The Barras deal is fine. There's no point holding onto him and they got as much value as they could.

The 2 things that make me question West coast are:

1) The Baker deal. That should've been their 2nd rounder. Rolling over and if anything paying overs for an out of contract player who has nominated you is just terrible.

2) Lawson Humphries. How can a kid who came through your academy look like a star at another team a couple of years later? How do you miss this kid when he's right under your nose?

However it was that it broke down initially with W/C and Hawks, W/C should’ve kept them engaged and tried to make it work. Not seeing the eventual outcome is poor by Mathew Clarke and he got it wrong. Thinking that Hawks would have deal with him.
They didn’t have to in the end and obviously dod t like his style.

W/C will need to bring in better established players eventually but who would trust them if they didn’t make good on their promise to Baker.
Jack Graham is a role player but he’s Bakers best mate and part of the reason he went there.
If Baker didn’t get there it would’ve been a shocker and W/C would’ve lost some cred in future deals. IMO

Lol.

And yet the Eagles now hold 90% of the Hawks original 2025 draft hand.

Basically the clubs entire original draft hand bar the 4th round.

For a 29yr old fullback with recent injury history.

Thems the facts. Hawks paid a price for being impatient and thinking they would be clever.

Blues make a GF and Hawks do a Crows and wowie, that would be a bit of a disaster. Fingers crossed. ;) :joycat:

LOL.

Hawthorn's future is in Hawthorn's hands.

Your club's future is in Liam Bakers.....

genuinely baffled how some wce fans can’t comprehend that the only major pick we have lost from the start of the trade period is this years first - that is a huge win considering what we have brought in

A lot of deluded Eagles fans in this thread. Its a fairly simple equation

Eagles interview a bunch of coaches. Mini comes in and knows what the board wants to hear. He will do everything in his power to get us competitive again as quick as possible. Clarke/Mini knows this and run with it against anyone elses judgement and make the moves to improve our competitiveness in 2025 at the expense of all else, including rebuilding

Pyke came in 2 weeks ago and said the plan is too hit this draft hard. We now sit with 3 picks in said draft 2 weeks later. This wasnt Pykes decision. This was made above him.

We have simple done everything we can to get wins on the board in 2025, even if the result of that is mid table mediocrity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Alternatively, Hawks could make the GF and the Blues do a... Blues.

For example, lets say that Cripps, Weitering and Curnow all are injured for the bulk of 2025 (of course I don't want this to actually happen to those blokes, but hypothetically), and Carlton finish in 15th above Richmond, West Coast and Essendon.

In that case we traded pick 14 for pick 4 and pick 22.

We won't really know how the trade fully washes out until the end of next season, but it could end up being a genius trade period from Hawthorn.

It could also end up being 'bad', but at worst (if Blues win the cup in 2025) we traded pick 14 (1161 points in 2024) for pick 18 and pick 36 in 2025 (836 points and 317 points = 1153 points in 2025).

To go into the best draft in recent memory with just pick 12 and pick 26 is completely laughable by the Eagles. Especially when they are screaming for genuine top end talent.

They could have had Sheezel, Reid, FOS. That is a Premiership contending centre square trio.

Instead they have Reid, Ginbey (who might not even make it as a midfielder) and Hewett (can't get on the park and hasn't really shown enough at AFL level for my liking).

At least they will have little Liam Baker to 'protect' Harley. Imagine if they didn't knock back Hawthorn's initial offer of 14 + F2 and a F3 coming back. They could have ended up with Baker + Pick 3, or at least split pick 3 for the Saint's 7 or 8 and a future pick.

1729211207514.png

To go into the best draft in recent memory with just pick 12 and pick 26 is completely laughable by the Eagles. Especially when they are screaming for genuine top end talent.

They could have had Sheezel, Reid, FOS. That is a Premiership contending centre square trio.

Instead they have Reid, Ginbey (who might not even make it as a midfielder) and Hewett (can't get on the park and hasn't really shown enough at AFL level for my liking).

At least they will have little Liam Baker to 'protect' Harley. Imagine if they didn't knock back Hawthorn's initial offer of 14 + F2 and a F3 coming back. They could have ended up with Baker + Pick 3, or at least split pick 3 for the Saint's 7 or 8 and a future pick.

View attachment 2146568
Giant issue is we did 2 lots of squibbing at once

We easily could have held Tigers down to take Hawks F1st and ended up in the same position. Not taking Pick 14 is irrelevant in my eyes because in the end we compounded the error. We had a escape out of it but we didn take it

I think Hawks are overrating their role in all this. The failure was the second part of the equation where we didnt leave F1st as the only option for Richmond to take

Ahh all these experts at rebuilding lists.

Surely a professional AFL club has an idea of what it takes to build a team to challenge for a flag.
There would be a set goal and strategy to get there.
Not every step will go according to plan, particularly with dealing with other clubs who are after the same objective.
Obviously at the start of this trade period the Eagles knew what the preferred outcome would be but had to reassess and do some pivoting when things didn't pan out as they would have wanted.

Pick 3 wasn't going to rebuild the team. Fielding a team of kids also isn't a great move without hardened experience around them both on the field and the training track.

It's the team I support so I will put trust and faith in their process.
Also cross my fingers and toes hoping they get it right.

It's been pretty much explained.

They wanted Hawks 14 plus extras to land Baker.

Hawks lost patience and traded 14.

Eagles had to pivot and get the deal done as a commitment was made to Baker.

That deal turned into a sh!t fight because Hawks played silly buggers. Player manager ripped them a new one.

The pick 3 split was done as plan B and Owies was the steak knives in the deal, nothing more. And he was offered a contract so wouldn't be a DFA and likely Richmond would have nabbed him in the PSD. Owies is a Cripps replacement for the Eagles. One year left for Cripps Max.

Eagles were looking for support for the kids and to set standards. They landed Graham for free to help Reid and Kelly.

Baker at half back.

Owies the gut running pressure forward.

Once all the other deals were done the Eagles went back to the Hawks and stared them down after having the rug pulled in day 2. The Hawks paid a massive price for Barrass. MASSIVE.

Hawthorns fans won't agree but in reality the Hawks gave up close to their entire original 2025 draft hand for a 29 year old full back with back issues. F1st plus F2nd plus F3rd with a 4th going back. Ouch.

Right now the Eagles have the most picks and points in 2025 based on 2024 ladder positions. They can easily trade into the 2024 draft either on draft night or prior to.

They have the flexibility to trade their F1st and bring it forward and still retain enough picks for a Warner trade next year.

Will be surprised if they hold the same picks now and use them on draft night.
So basically to summarise...

Hawks played silly buggers with their original bid for Barrass.

Then fast forward to the end of the trade period where Hawks finally got their man after adding what was in reality a very modest sweetener to their original bid.

And the result "...The Hawks paid a massive price for Barrass. MASSIVE."

By implication the initial Hawks bid wasn't far off. Sounds to me that the ones playing silly buggers up front were West Coast, not Hawthorn.

Ahh all these experts at rebuilding lists.

Surely a professional AFL club has an idea of what it takes to build a team to challenge for a flag.
There would be a set goal and strategy to get there.
Not every step will go according to plan, particularly with dealing with other clubs who are after the same objective.
Obviously at the start of this trade period the Eagles knew what the preferred outcome would be but had to reassess and do some pivoting when things didn't pan out as they would have wanted.

Pick 3 wasn't going to rebuild the team. Fielding a team of kids also isn't a great move without hardened experience around them both on the field and the training track.

It's the team I support so I will put trust and faith in their process.
Also cross my fingers and toes hoping they get it right.
Which thread involved discussion on a professional AFL club?

It certainly isnt this one

So basically to summarise...

Hawks played silly buggers with their original bid for Barrass.

Then fast forward to the end of the trade period where Hawks finally got their man after adding what was in reality a very modest sweetener to their original bid.

And the result "...The Hawks paid a massive price for Barrass. MASSIVE."

By implication the initial Hawks bid wasn't far off. Sounds to me that the ones playing silly buggers up front were West Coast, not Hawthorn.
It was a fairly even trade. Anyone pretending they won are kidding themselves

Remove this Banner Ad

What are West Coast trying to do?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back