What are West Coast trying to do?

Remove this Banner Ad

All trade week it was we better walk away with 2 firsts from Eagles supporters. That didn't happen, but now the spin is we have the whole hawks draft hand so we cleaned up. I've never seen a supporter base so excited about a 3rd round pick that will be in the 50s as a way of saying they WON the trade , when there 4th round we received back will be max 7 picks apart.

Pretty reasonable return for a 29yo, I'd have though.

Their list is a complete mess ,

Which is why they did what they did this trade period. It's an unpopular move but our midfield had precisely zero depth in regards to senior players. This at least stabilises this area of the ground for the next few years so young mids we do bring in actually have a chance to develop properly.

and it seems they want to try keep harley happy and be competitive. But outside of him they don't have any quality youth coming through.

I get you have NFI about the team, so I'm not going to list names you've never heard of, but we do have some decent youth coming through.

I mean, they could have had wardlaw/sheezel

Those 2 refused to leave Melbourne, pretty common knowledge.

, reid and Pick 3 heading into next season but that isn't happening.

Pick 3 is a completely unknown quantity. i mean, your club just delisted your recent pick 6. That can't be considered a factor right now.

Throw in yeo, McGovern, Kelly all retiring soon

You and Kelly will have at least 3 more years, which is more than enough time for the next batch to come through.

Unsure if you noticed but McGovern just made the AA side, he isn't declining. Probably got another 2 years after next year.

I'm not sure where they get enough quality to replace them and keep pushing up the ladder,

I mean, you clearly don't know any of our young players, so this take is unsurprising.

especially when 2 top 10 picks will be handed over for Warner. Weird time for a one strong club, but I'm here for how delusional their supporters are.

Again, overrating draft picks. They could be a superstar, or a complete bust.

To go into the best draft in recent memory with just pick 12 and pick 26 is completely laughable by the Eagles. Especially when they are screaming for genuine top end talent.
You've massively bought into the media spin, it seems.

The top end talent isn't anywhere near remote the best as previous drafts, it's simply very even and deep.

There are massive question marks over all the top contenders, which is why there's no clear pick 1, let alone top 10.

Pretty reasonable return for a 29yo, I'd have though.

Which is why they did what they did this trade period. It's an unpopular move but our midfield had precisely zero depth in regards to senior players. This at least stabilises this area of the ground for the next few years so young mids we do bring in actually have a chance to develop properly.

I get you have NFI about the team, so I'm not going to list names you've never heard of, but we do have some decent youth coming through.

Those 2 refused to leave Melbourne, pretty common knowledge.

Pick 3 is a completely unknown quantity. i mean, your club just delisted your recent pick 6. That can't be considered a factor right now.

You and Kelly will have at least 3 more years, which is more than enough time for the next batch to come through.

Unsure if you noticed but McGovern just made the AA side, he isn't declining. Probably got another 2 years after next year.

I mean, you clearly don't know any of our young players, so this take is unsurprising.

Again, overrating draft picks. They could be a superstar, or a complete bust.

Every supporter base overattes their own young talent coming through, but you would struggle to find someone who isn't an Eagles supporter that agrees with you.

Every supporter base overattes their own young talent coming through, but you would struggle to find someone who isn't an Eagles supporter that agrees with you.
I'm not overrating them but you've listed one player and said nothing else is coming through, which is complete and utter bullshit.

Good question OP.

Tom Barrass is worth a first round pick and something. As he is 29 and wanted to leave it made sense to trade him and get some additional draft assets. Our list has turned over significantly and there are only 7 players left from the 2018 GF and they are 27, 28, 28, 29, 31, 32, 32. Cole, Sheed, Duggan, Ryan as the under 30s aren't moving the needle at this point.

Take out the pick 3 trade and we have 3, 16, 2 x F2, 2 x F2, 2 x, F3. That's a good draft position to hold.

Pick 3 needed to be retained and used or split into multiple first round picks that were retained and used. No point sugar coating things, we won 5 games and finished with a percentage of 68. Teams have finished last with better records. We weren't historically bad like 2022/23 but with a better run at it (admittedly some senior players no longer on the list) we still lost 10 games by 50+. You can't trail by 100 points at HALF TIME and expect to be taken seriously.

We need to be entering the draft with pick 3 + the players we've added or a top 10 pick, a top 20 pick and the players we've added, or the trade does is not justified.

I don't want to hear about acquiring assets for Chad Warner either. We would be able to get a deal done without Hawthorn's picks next year.

I'm not overrating them but you've listed one player and said nothing else is coming through, which is complete and utter bullshit.
I'm from WA and watch every West Coast game . A list of ginbey, hall, hough, Hewitt, Williams x2 , Edwards, bazzo , long, dewar, Hutchinson, Barnett, archer reid, chesser is a very underwhelming list.

How do they get their way back into this years draft?
They have hawthorns first, second and third and their first and second.

Hawks first and eagles second for one of picks 21-23 perhaps?
These are all additional picks GWS, Syd and Richmond hold.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see then trade to here to pick up a decent kid.

How do they get their way back into this years draft?
They have hawthorns first, second and third and their first and second.

Hawks first and eagles second for one of picks 21-23 perhaps?
These are all additional picks GWS, Syd and Richmond hold.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see then trade to here to pick up a decent kid.

Carlton's F1 and F2 was worth pick 14. Hawthorn's F1 and F2 is going to be worth around the same. Our F1 is probably worth a top 10 pick this year given we will suck again and this year's draft is strong.

I know I'll be spitting out my cereal if we trade a bunch of future assets to get back into a draft we originally had pick 3 in.

I'm from WA and watch every West Coast game . A list of ginbey, hall, hough, Hewitt, Williams x2 , Edwards, bazzo , long, dewar, Hutchinson, Barnett, archer reid, chesser is a very underwhelming list.
Ginbey's the 2nd highest rated player from his age group, so pretty good when compared to the others.

Hewett's a question mark due to his injury but the talent is clearly there.

Hough's our best pure defender.

Jack Williams is still very young but has come on in leaps and bounds. Not sure you can count the other Williams in that group, as he's a bit older.

Ditto Edwards, but he more than held his own after Barrass went down. If that's the Edwards you're referring to.

Barnett appears to be a dud, unsure why they gave him 2 more years but he went and played back in the WAFL at the end of the season and looked way better than in the ruck, so there might be something to work with there hopefully. Not getting excited over him though. Lucky to still have a list spot.

Bazzo started really well early in his career but has since battled with the death of his mother, as well as a number of injuries. Looked very good early on, to the point Jack Riewoldt was raving about him.

Dewar's had huge improvement this season, looks a lively type after now showing much last year. Wait and see with him but I liked what he did this year.

Hutchinson showed in that second half against Geelong that he should be playing mid and not forward, so hopefully he trains there in preseason. Small sample size but he's certainly a goer and went from playing bush league at the start of the year to playing senior AFL and not looking too out of place.

Archer Reid looks very good, finished top 10 in the WAFL B&F after only playing a bit over half a season, or so. Tallest player in the WAFL apparently, but very agile, likes to tackle and is clean below his knees. Very bullish.

Chesser. Jury's out but now that we have a new coach, hopefully he won't be consigned to that gimp wing that ruined Brander's career and appears to be doing the same to Chesser's. Missed the better part of 2 seasons through injury also, so hopefully he finally gets a solid run in the guts at WAFL to build some form and confidence.

Like all young players, they could all come on, they could stagnate or they could bust.

That deal turned into a sh!t fight because Hawks played silly buggers. Player manager ripped them a new one.
What a load of crap. Hawks offered 14 which was fair compensation, but they had nothing left to bargain with, so they went elsewhere in order to pick up these tools. Apparently, Hawthorn is the only club who are not allowed to shop for their best deal. Believe what you want, but it was West Coast who initially sent the Hawks away, not the other way around.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol....Hawks and WCoast this is like some sick cripple fight. Who cares??

Yeah, we struggled this year. Would be much happier with the Saints list. King is contracted to 2040 or something?

A big price to pay for a team that also should still be looking to build through the draft IMO. In a few years I think the Hawks will be regretting this trade period.

Our team is overflowing with kids. We dont need more kids. We need elite ready-to-go players. We got those with Battle and Barrass.

Pyke came in 2 weeks ago and said the plan is too hit this draft hard. We now sit with 3 picks in said draft 2 weeks later. This wasnt Pykes decision. This was made above him.

Who is above the CEO? Are the board doing trade week now?

"The full picture of this trade and draft period won't become clearer for several years"

Ah, no. If pick 12 turns out to be a superstar that does not justify trading down from pick 3.

Remove this Banner Ad

What are West Coast trying to do?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back