Remove this Banner Ad

Binxy

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 3, 2003
Girth By Sea
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Taken from another post:

Guys like Dixon should be given a chance to play out the yrs finals (if we may not intend on keeping them next yr). A guy who has bled for this club for so many yrs, and have been through the worst, must get some reward
Probably won't be an issue but I'd be interested to hear what others' thoughts are on this.

Should a player get to play finals because of service to the club, even if he is no longer the best person for the job?

Taken from another post:

Probably won't be an issue but I'd be interested to hear what others' thoughts are on this.

Should a player get to play finals because of service to the club, even if he is no longer the best person for the job?

IMHO, the 22 picked should always be on form by principle, A person who bleeds the clubs' colours, even in missing out, should appreciate that.

Though if the players & coaching staff unanimously (or overwhelmingly close to) agree that an individual be included in the team, then it should be fine, because it'll be at least good for morale. Just see the John Barker farewell special last year

If we are so focused on the future Dixon should not play a Final, I cant see him being the difference between a win and a loss, he's been a great/ good(you couldn't call him great) player for us. Why waste a final on him when you could throw in a Roughead or Boyle even a Thorp. I love Dicko but his time is up!

Taken from another post:

Nope. Best 22 in any game that means something.

I would be extremely p!ssed off if something like this happened.

You pick the best 22, no favours - ESPECALLY in finals.

Agreed.

Peter Knights played 13 games and kicked 37 goals and got 3 Bronlow votes in 1985 and wasn't selected in our GF team....

West Coast have dropped their Captain twice before finals. Malaxous and Worsfold.

tuff decisionces are normally good decisions

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Football is such a hard business.

Not on 2007 form prior to his injury. Needs to go back to BH and start kicking goals.

Saw him at training on the Thursday. Is working his butt to get fit. Doing the extra work. At least he wants to try.... which is good. Unfortantely there is no "I" in "Team".

Agreed.

Peter Knights played 13 games and kicked 37 goals and got 3 Bronlow votes in 1985 and wasn't selected in our GF team....

Bad example, Spook: we got hammered in the 1985 Grand Final. :(

Also left out that day: Gary Buckenara & Rodney Eade.
The selectors went nuts that year, and we got clobbered!

Davo25

Whilst you can't afford to play anything but the best 22 in finals footy, experience and hard, seasoned bodies are also required and may be the ticket for blokes on the fringe of selection.

Would think this would include Dicko.

I absolutely do not believe Clarko and his assistant honchos will be choosing the the starting finals' 22s based on older players' years of service to the club.

One could say Crawf wouldn't be omitted under such a credence. But with Shane, there will never be a problem with his value to a finals team just on endeavour alone.

Best 22 in finals. However if a guy like Dixon was to announce his retirement near that point then he should get a game (if of course he hadn't automatically been selected). So often a team finds a bit more in them when paying tribute to a great clubman. Look at the passion they displayed in Round 22 last year sending off Johnny Barker. Was it a coincidence that it was our biggest win of the year? No way. The boys played their backsides of for Barks (and yes i acknowledge that it was a nothing game for Geelong). I reckon Dixon may not want to give it up given the success the club has coming but may be kindly asked to by not having his contract renewed. The fact that the club is so young and has so many potential stars still being groomed will not help. Someone has to be delisted to make room for the draft picks and the way we are going there may well have to be some tough calls made because there are not too many players who deserve to get cut from our list.

All players get picked on their merits not just because they are the captain or have play 200+ games.

Exactly. If Franklin, Williams, Boyle, Roughead etc are available, I can't see any room for Dixon.

Sentiment has nothing to do with it. We can only pick the best team for each game and if Dixon isn't in our best 22 he should not be selected.

I dont think Dicko is done just yet...

He's an accurate kick and is a worry if he gets the 4th defender.. is a smart footballer and we could use him off the bench.

This year is difficult because he's had some very very quiet games, however on the flipside he can be as useful as he's been bad. Its toss of the coin and only up to him to make it happen.

Dicko is usually an automatic selection when fit. However as our midfield are on fire, and our backline are holding their own, i couldn't see him replacing Hodge in the forward line if AC is happy too stick to that plan.

But as finals footy goes, Dicko's experience would be invaluable to such a young side, and i'm sure there is a spot in our side for him.

Best 22 in finals. However if a guy like Dixon was to announce his retirement near that point then he should get a game (if of course he hadn't automatically been selected). So often a team finds a bit more in them when paying tribute to a great clubman. Look at the passion they displayed in Round 22 last year sending off Johnny Barker. Was it a coincidence that it was our biggest win of the year? No way. The boys played their backsides of for Barks (and yes i acknowledge that it was a nothing game for Geelong). I reckon Dixon may not want to give it up given the success the club has coming but may be kindly asked to by not having his contract renewed. The fact that the club is so young and has so many potential stars still being groomed will not help. Someone has to be delisted to make room for the draft picks and the way we are going there may well have to be some tough calls made because there are not too many players who deserve to get cut from our list.

Same example or precedent that I thought of BB069 - 'Rudy' Barker.

I would think that Ben might have an idea about what he wants to do next year and whether his ambitions are realistic or not, given he has just turned 30.

If he was to retire under his own terms this year, I would expect that the club would give him a last home and away game at home, regardless of form. If he can get back into the best 22, I would expect him to play finals regardless of retirement plans.

Let's not get too obsessed with our overabundance of talented youth at the expense of a club stalwart and fine servant.

Remove this Banner Ad

What Do You Think?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back