What economic crisis - Hawks will break the all time record membership total in 2009

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Hawks smashola the 30,000 barrier...50,000 is inevitable

It seems like a lifetime ago that we were fighting for our survival. I signed up in November for my 12th year as a member, 23rd as a supporter.

Congratulations to everyone involved in Hawthorn over the last ten years. Quite incredible when you think about how we have done it without having to receive hand outs to stay afloat.

Perhaps 1996 was the crisis we had to have :eek:

Wow a club that just won a premiership experiencing a surge in memberships, never saw that coming!

No surprise that the membership is up on the back of the premiership win. Historically, clubs get that boost.

Did you guys just miss the point or what? Sure I agree, a surge in memberships after a premiership is to be expected. No doubting that. But I think you both missed this:

Hawthorn Football Club is setting new membership records, being the first Victorian AFL Club ever to break through 30,000 members before Christmas.

A surge after a premiership, sure we all saw it coming. But to be the first club in Victoria to break 30,000 before Christmas is a bloody good achievement. Did the Bombers, a member of the "Big 4", achieve this in 2000? No. And to think, this is all while were living in a world with financial insecurity and football memberships aren't exactly a top prority for many families, especially around Christmas (I'll be renewing mine early next year).

And lets not forget that in 2007 we finished with a club record 41,686 members on the back of an improving year in 2006 with no finals. Our membership has been gaining momentium since then, given a push with Buddy's arrival and winning goal in the elimination final, now steamrolling on the back of premiership success.

Give credit where credit is due.

Amazing, sure there probably are some bandwagoners, but meh, well done Hawthorn and good luck to getting 50,000

By the way
Don't think do!

Probably the biggest bandwagon club of all time.

Just wondering whether the AFL count bandwagon supporters in the membership figures....

Just checked. Yep they do. They even count their money as part of the clubs finances. Disgusting isn't it.

Vlad must act!

Next people might suggest that we are only getting this number of members because we have one of the brightest talents in the AFL kicking bags of goals, and a young crop of exciting players coming through the ranks. Who'd have thunk it?

Or that because we decided to play 4 home games a year in Tasmania that we have a wider target audience, and those people have started to sign up memberships... crazy

Someone must put a stop to this off field financial stability that Hawthorn has developed.

Ahem, the first Victorian club to do so.

Touche. Very good point. WCE have had 40k+ for a while now, clubs breaking new ground in Victoria, however I dont expect that we'll be able to match WCE consistently over a 10-15 year period.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably the biggest bandwagon club of all time.

Just wait until Richmond starts to regularly make finals and become successful, they will be a huge club again when the ferals come out of the woodwork.

Touche. Very good point. WCE have had 40k+ for a while now, clubs breaking new ground in Victoria, however I dont expect that we'll be able to match WCE consistently over a 10-15 year period.

It's not just us though. I'm pretty sure the Crows have the highest membership total of any side.

However our clubs are only competing against one other in their home state, the Hawks have 9 other clubs in Victoria to contend with so, all in all, great effort :thumbsu:

i love the way opposition fans think hawthorn will be doomed when the tassie deal ends. keep thinking that. we treat our sponsors well. it's not like mazda or jeld wen who get no value for money out of their sponsorship. there will be sponsors wishing they were with hawthorn and hoping the tassie deal ends so they can move in. it's not like other clubs like the saints or kangas who treat their sponsors like shit and give them nothing in return except an outstretched hand when the contract is up for renewal.

actually, i do not think the hawks are doomed at all when the tassie deal ends so don't put words in my mouth. What I was merely suggesting is that it is a possibility that you should consider. I am just merely suggesting that the economic situation in tasmania may not be conducive to long-term support and that I should hope indeed that the club is preparing for this. I don't want to see the Hawks be excited and counting on this and then see a change of government or premier cut the deal off rather than extending it

Well i guess Hawthorn are the "perfect club" at the moment.

First they have the prolific, "unstoppable" Buddy Franklin who really is the "face of the franchise," with talk of him being one of the greatest forwards of all time.

Then there is Luke Hodge whose courage and constant attack on the ball would make the great Hawthorn tough men of the 20th century - such as Brereton and Matthews - proud. Just getting on the park in the GF was a remarkable effort let alone winning the covetted Norm Smith. After that inspirational performance he's been rated by many as being in the top 3 players in the comp.

Now Cyril Rioli, the nephew of champion indigenous player Michael Long, whose stellar first year (including some inspirational acts in the 2008 GF) has shot him to fame.

As well, there is the coach Alistair Clarkson who - i think its fair to say had his doubters - has transformed the Hawks into one of the most exciting clubs in the league "against all odds".

Then of course the fact that the club is young and on the rise stimulates thoughts of a Hawthorn dynasty that could rival the great 80's.

To cap it all off, the club won the premiership and has given the "fairytale" finish to one of the many many champions to ever grace an AFL field.

After the rebuild period the club has went through they thoroughly deserve this success and it is only fitting that they achieve record membership totals.

Cudos to the Hawthorn football club:thumbsu:.​

Well i guess Hawthorn are the "perfect club" at the moment.

First they have the prolific, "unstoppable" Buddy Franklin who really is the "face of the franchise," with talk of him being one of the greatest forwards of all time.

Then there is Luke Hodge whose ourage and constant attack on the ball would make the great Hawthorn tough men of the 20th century - such as Brereton and Matthews - proud. Just getting on the park in the GF was a remarkable effort let alone winning the Norm Smith. After that inspirational performance he's been rated by many as being in the top 3 players in the comp.

Now Cyril Rioli, the nephew of champion indigenous player Michael Long, whose stellar first year (including some inspirational acts in the 2008 GF) has shot him to fame.

Then there is the coach Alistair Clarkson who - i think its fair to say had his doubters - has transformed the Hawks into one of the most exciting clubs in the league "against all odds".

Then of course the fact that the club is young and on the rise stimulates thoughts of a Hawthorn dynasty that could rival the great 80's.

To cap it all off the club won the premiership and has given the "fairytale" finish to one of the many many champions to ever grace an AFL field.

After the rebuild period the club has went through they thoroughly deserve this success and it is only fitting that they achieve record membership totals.

Cudos to the Hawthorn football club:thumbsu:.​

I was waiting for the back hand at the end...

Good to see some maturity on this thread

:)

Hope the Roos also break their membership records this season to back up from last year.

Funny the reactions of some people in this thread bagging Hawthorn for being excited about their current situation.

Wasn't long ago people said our club was doomed on and off the field, and there was no shortage of people sticking the knife in from every which direction about our current situation.

There was a theory that no Victorian club who wasn't already competiting with the big 4, could never really compete with the likes of Collingwood and Essendon in terms of money, support and members.

Hawthorn got 40000 members last year, which was a massive result after making the finals just 1 time in several years, and now look at getting at least close to 50000 (from looking at the % of new members already) after one premiership.

Whether you define that as bandwagoners, or whatever, its still new members, and that figure is pretty massive for the club, and the efforts to turn it around from the dark year of 2004 in such a short period of time is remarkable. With the financial crisis potential effecting clubs ability to spend, attract members, and invest its pretty damn cool where the club is at.

If it is arrogant to enjoy the club's success, who cares, why wouldn't you be proud of the efforts given where the club has come from. The turn around in 4 years in nothing short of remarkable, and the club deserves a fair amount of credit for that.

I live and work out Waverley Way and let me tell you the bandwagon is well and truly flourishing. People at work who I thought didn't even follow the football now have buddy, GF posters and flags flying. not saying it's a bad thing (Well, It is when you're a Cats supporter :(). But it will be interesting to see if the hawks can hold onto them in the lean years.

Hawthorn has today confirmed it has passed 30k members, first club before christmas to do so.

Rather than start a urinating contest, i wish to remind minnow clubs outside the "big 1" that revenue from memberships is what counts - we could have 10,000 dogs and cats signed up in our 30,000, bottom line is the club makes money

those 17k members will raise more than most club memberships total

pea-brains go fourth and respond below:
It's good that we have done well, but this post is going too far over the top.

I hope that all clubs can record an increase on memberships for 2009. :thumbsu:

However T, is there really any real evidence to all of a sudden draw the conclusion that Hawthorn are the biggest AFL team in Australia and that all other clubs should be looking up to you?

Has anyone suggested that?

Hawthorn has gone from a minnow club, to a middle of the road club and now a top of the rung club in a relatively short period of time

Is your total supporter base bigger than Collingwood?

We probably have 60% of Collingwood's support base, but importantly we've probably got a wealthier support base pound for pound then Collingwood meaning we have a higher support to member ratio

Is your period of success going to be more sustained off the field than Collingwood's or the Adelaide Crows' has been? (notice how I said off the field there - case in point is that the crows haven't won anything since 1998 but still have a huge supporter base that buys merchandise and membership year after year after year).

Hawthorn has been very sustainable off the field for a long period of time - albeit with a hiccup in 2004-5

How many of those memberships will drop off if you don't take out the 2009 premiership?

Maybe, maybe not.

Also, will this lucrative Tasmanian deal run on and on for ever? That state, my home state btw, is going through quite the downturn as we all are with no guarantee that "hawk friendly" Labor party will be in power after the next election nor even if it is that it will continue to support your club ad infinitum.

We've got 4,200 Tasmanian members total, in WA alone we've got more then 2,000

The Tasmanian influence is a factor, but not the be all and end all

It's good that we have done well, but this post is going too far over the top.

I hope that all clubs can record an increase on memberships for 2009. :thumbsu:

Yeah I agree. This post could be a bit more humble in its praise. I don't like Hawks supporters that suddenly think they are the sh1t. Minnow clubs and Pea brains?
I have watched the Hawks through all the lean years and always respected an opponent who was humble in their win. This isn't bay 13....

Aside from that... well done Hawks!... and welcome back all you bandwagon jumpers...

Attention Hawkk:

"
Quote:
Originally Posted by krusden
However T, is there really any real evidence to all of a sudden draw the conclusion that Hawthorn are the biggest AFL team in Australia and that all other clubs should be looking up to you?

Has anyone suggested that? "

Well in the OP the suggestion that hawthorn was the "big 1" and that all other clubs were "minnow clubs" sort of does suggests that. I was merely responding to that claim.

Remove this Banner Ad

What economic crisis - Hawks will break the all time record membership total in 2009

Remove this Banner Ad

Back