What happened to Heritage round?

Remove this Banner Ad

When can we have give-away rounds like in America where everyone gets a towel day?

The Doggies tried this....needless to say, it wasn't overly popular.

Teds%20Towel.jpg

It was a Victorian circle jerk/marketing exercise anyway.

Heritage Round, Rivalry Round, Women's Round, Indigenous Round, Multicultural Round... FFS.

Gee they are a few themed rounds. Personally the only thing of significance is who we are playing and where. The only themed round I had some interest in was Heritage round to see the old guernseys, but they got rid of that.

Why on earth didn't GWS go with something like this rather than what they currently wear. Probably would need to make some changes due to colours already being used by Footscray.
Their reserves side (UWS) wear something similar. Look them up :)

Well once the non vfl clubs started bringing up their heritage it pissed off the big clubs and that was it. I mean according to the VFL fans the WAFL and SAFNL are nothing but backyard comps and have nothing in common to the great VFL.

Eddie made sure that collingswoods new rewritten history was not tarnished by Port by alluding to their SANFL record. I mean we cannot have a team outside of melbourne win nearly 3 times that of the greatest sporting club in the history of the world.

Plus i think Eddie didnt want anyone to know that collingwood stole their top from Port Adelaide and that collingwood wore pink in their formative years.

So what you mean is, it pissed Collingwood off.

No other club had an issue.

Gee they are a few themed rounds. Personally the only thing of significance is who we are playing and where. The only themed round I had some interest in was Heritage round to see the old guernseys, but they got rid of that.

Yeah the Heritage Round was one of the few interesting and noticeable themed rounds due to the different jumpers, most of the other themed rounds you barely notice.

I guess it's been shelved though due to the new teams coming in and problems with jumper clashes but would be good to see it brought back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

West coast has no Heritage prior to 1987.

There was a Freo football club back in 1885.

There was an RFC in 1870 but it has no connection with the one established in 1885

Same with Freo

West coast has no Heritage prior to 1987.

There was a Freo football club back in 1885.

A former rugby club

Yeah but Port Adelaide started in 1870 yet have an AFL side in 1997. Work that one out.

Same club that got a license to field a team in the AFL.

The Freo club in to 1800s became defunct and most of the players ended up forming Souths.

It's been discussed on the Footy Jumpers before, and basically it came down to money. Anyway, here are my ideas for a potential heritage round.

Heritage Round Ideas for 2013:

All of these are pretty much spot on in regard to their correctness and accuracy, except for Geelong, where I've added some hoops to the red. All of them have 70's/80's style collars, because they are cool. There may be one or two errors in regards to sponsors and stuff, but whatevs.

Carlton (1909 monogram) v Collingwood (1976-80 home)
2w7k9q9.png

9jm746.png

Port Adelaide (SANFL 1956. If Collingwood get all pissy, then maybe the 1997 first home jumper would suffice) v Adelaide (copy of their 2005 heritage. Would have preferred to have used a proper one, but they don't have much history to choose from. Not a dig at them, but they genuinely haven't changed guernsey since inception)
2btvd1.png

16a8ryr.png

Essendon (VFA 1875 jumper. That's right, they haven't always worn black and red.) v Richmond (VFA 1902)
27wtb1y.png

vep2zs.png

Brisbane (Fitzroy's first VFL jumper 1897) v Sydney (South Melbourne's first VFL jumper 1897)
wbe4k8.png

2m7t2z4.png

For the record this is my favourite match up, due to both (sort of, don't get all technical) being relocated Vic teams wearing their very first jumpers, so it's essentially what Fitzroy and SM would have worn against each other)

Melbourne (1897 first VFL jumper) v Footscray (VFA 1898 - Footscray won the VFA Premiership in each year this was worn)
qsqpkz.png

2i78cqa.png

Gold Coast (Southport's jumper) v Greater Western Sydney (their TAC cup jumper in 2010)
1j6hk9.png

amd4kh.jpg

Geelong (1859 jumper. Very old. Was actually plain red, but I decided to add some light hoops so that it wasn't dead boring. Also added a sublimated belt to the shorts lol) v Hawthorn (1933 home jumper. Could have put a monogram on there as well, maybe.)
2lwlmhl.png

11vphqw.png

Fremantle (first home jumper, 1995) v West Coast (first home jumper, 1987)
34s4d1y.png

30rshaf.png

St Kilda (1919 jumper) v North Melbourne (1909 VFA jumper)
fan5vd.png

2meq1x5.png

Wow, this is great

The Essendon jumper cant be from the VFA in 1875 as the Association wasnt formed till May 1877.

The thing that kind of turned me off about it is that some sides were using jumpers from the deep past with colours that are drastically different to what they wear today.

Heritage.jpg

Just hard to picture Hawthorn being represented in that jumper. More like Footscray.

But hey, it's still fare game, it's heritage, I get it.

Looks like he's wearing suspenders. I think Collingwood had a design like that as a clash guernsey where you have two vertical stripes, I've seen this on other teams as well, they never look good.

They are suspenders! Representations, anyway. Back in the days where caps, different sized shorts and trousers and even scarves were uses to differentiate teams, Hawthorn had red and white braces over a blue jumper...

Remove this Banner Ad

What happened to Heritage round?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back