What happens if a club plays a suspended player?

Remove this Banner Ad

frenchfri12

Premiership Player
Suspended
Jul 10, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Say its the grand final, and my last game as coach, and the captain's last game, but he's suspended. What happens if I refuse to listen to the AFL and play him anyway? Will security forcibly drag him off the ground? What are the rules relating to this?

Say its the grand final, and my last game as coach, and the captain's last game, but he's suspended. What happens if I refuse to listen to the AFL and play him anyway? Will security forcibly drag him off the ground? What are the rules relating to this?
Would imagine it would be the same as playing 19 men on the field that teams score would be continually be wiped as long as the suspended player is on the field. Then after the game the coach and the club would be charged with Bringing the Game into Disrepute

If you actually did it and the game got played the team would be disqualified afterward I imagine, in addition to a 'bringing the game into disrepute' charge

Edit:

10.6.1 Entry on Playing Surface

Where a person(s) enters the Playing Surface when they are not authorised to do so, the field Umpire shall:

1. (a) stop play at the first available opportunity;

2. (b) seek the assistance of person(s) authorised by the relevant

Controlling Body to remove the unauthorised person(s) from the Playing Surface;

3. (c) Once the unauthorised person(s) has been removed from the Playing Surface, the field Umpire shall recommence play as follows depending on the circumstances:
    1. (i) where the Football was in dispute at the time play was

stopped, by bouncing or throwing up the Football;

2. (ii) where the Football was Out of Bounds at the time play was

stopped, by directing the boundary Umpire to throw the

Football in;

3. (iii) where a Player had possession of the Football at the time

play was stopped, by awarding a Free Kick to the Player;

4. (iv) where a Player had been awarded a Free Kick or a Mark at the time play was stopped, by allowing the Player to

dispose of the Football.

Last edited:

Would the AFL really declare a Grand Final forfeited?
Umpires can order a player off of the field in certain circumstances, and there's a whole set of escalating steps such as free kick and immediate 50 if they refuse to leave, then if they continue to refuse its forfeiture. No they would not so the AFL would intervene before it even got to that point IMO

One thing I've often wondered is if you have a star suspended- say Patty Dangerfield is suspended for a week, can you put him in (for example) Darcy Lang's jersey and say its Darcy Lang. If someone says "hey that looks like Patty Dangerfield out there" you say "no it isn't, it's Darcy Lang". Who makes the official call as to who it is? Is there any DNA testing that has to be done?

One thing I've often wondered is if you have a star suspended- say Patty Dangerfield is suspended for a week, can you put him in (for example) Darcy Lang's jersey and say its Darcy Lang. If someone says "hey that looks like Patty Dangerfield out there" you say "no it isn't, it's Darcy Lang". Who makes the official call as to who it is? Is there any DNA testing that has to be done?
Now you've got me wondering. How about if you made the GF you hire a handful of the best players from other teams and do the same thing.
Get Ablett and put him in Bailey Dales jumper,get Fyfe put him in Stevens,Buddy Franklin and give him Lin Jongs jumper,play Rance in Roberts jumper etc. and just say no if anyone asks.

Reminds me of when Tom Hawkins wore Josh Walker's jumper late in a game against Hawthorn a few years ago because his own jumper was ripped.

Hawthorn should've claimed that Geelong had a non team listed player out on the field. From memory it was a close game, too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why are we discussing this

It's probably never happened nor will it ever happen

Bit like asking what happens if Martians invade earth what will we do.......kinda not going to happen is it?

Why are we discussing this

It's probably never happened nor will it ever happen

Bit like asking what happens if Martians invade earth what will we do.......kinda not going to happen is it?

Essendon supporting OP. Following rules and having moral obligations to the game is a bit of a grey area....

It would of worked for Fine Cotton, just need to remember good quality hair dye.

Maybe one possibility would Essendon turning up with theìr suspended players to a game. That would put the cat amongst the pidgeons.Guess you would need to know the AFL wouldn't just regard it as a forfeit though

just paint him with brown paint ala fine cotton, that seemed to work.

Remove this Banner Ad

What happens if a club plays a suspended player?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back