What is a reasonable trade for Burgoyne?

Remove this Banner Ad

Hate to say it, but I think one of Thorp or Dowler will be involved.

I know it sounds strange, but if we were to lose either one of them, i'd much rather it be to a non-Victorian club, particularly if they go on and star.

Does that make sense? :eek:

Sorry Nev, but I would not want to lose Shoey at this sage. Then we'd need two key defenders!

Your other deal sounds good.

I would like Burgoyne, but Pick 9 should be enough for a 26 year old with a suspect knee.

After seeing how Dowler played in the last 2 matches I wouldn't be prepared to put Thorp on the table especially after seeing what can happen to KPP (Buddy/Roughy) in a matter of a few weeks:
I'd be happy with Pick 9 + J.Morton, but I'm not sure PA would be willing.

Gary will hate me for saying this, but Pick 9 and Young?

Young is a like for like replacement (although he's far less talented), but Choco has always liked those kind of players (see Lonie).

The fact that he's now got that tag of being a 'premiership player' always helps.

Glad you're not sitting at the trade table. Pick 25 by itself should get the job done.

We will let him walk to Melbourne for free before taking pick 25.

No it won't. Pick 25 is practically a late 3rd round pick in this year's draft. Pick 9 by itself if we're EXTREMELY lucky. I am being a realist

I am intrigued to see how this pans out, I said Brad Sewell for Shaun is my preferred deal, but was told on my board no chance, personally that's what he's worth in my eyes though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gary will hate me for saying this, but Pick 9 and Young?

Young is a like for like replacement (although he's far less talented), but Choco has always liked those kind of players (see Lonie).

The fact that he's now got that tag of being a 'premiership player' always helps.
Whoa, that is extremely weird, I was actually thinking the exact same thing in regards to trading Young but I refrained from posting it due to a number of BF Hawthorn supporters (including myself) who value Young as an integral part of our side.

Straight player swap. Possibly a draft pick thrown in also.

We'll need to give up someone to get Burgoyne - not bit players.

BTW anyone else see Thomas rubbishing pick 25 for Gibson? Too expensive!

No it won't. Pick 25 is practically a late 3rd round pick in this year's draft. Pick 9 by itself if we're EXTREMELY lucky. I am being a realist

A fit and firing Shaun Burgoyne is worth Pick 9 but we're talking about a bloke that struggles to get out on the park because of a dodgy knee. This devalues him significantly.

Sorry Nev, but I would not want to lose Shoey at this sage. Then we'd need two key defenders!

Your other deal sounds good.

I would like Burgoyne, but Pick 9 should be enough for a 26 year old with a suspect knee.
I understand, but he's exactly the type of player Port would want as he's a young KPP from South Australia. Would you rather lose Shoey or Lewis/Ellis/Bateman?

Anyway, I said it as a smokey. I'd hate to lose Shoey too

I am intrigued to see how this pans out, I said Brad Sewell for Shaun is my preferred deal, but was told on my board no chance, personally that's what he's worth in my eyes though.

He'd absolutely be worth that much, but if he's hell bent on leaving the club, it unfortunately counts against you.

If he does come to us, it'd obvious come with Pick 9 and a player.

I guess it's just a matter of deciding who (or even if Pick 25 is also involved).

Would try and hold back trading pick 9. Offer them our second round pick and a player out of : Ladson, Osbourne, Morton, Tuck. If Port say no, then let him walk to the PSD.

He'd absolutely be worth that much, but if he's hell bent on leaving the club, it unfortunately counts against you.

If he does come to us, it'd obvious come with Pick 9 and a player.

I guess it's just a matter of deciding who (or even if Pick 25 is also involved).

How valuable is pick 9 though, perhaps Port would ask Hawthorn to on trade to get a higher pick eg try and get Sydneys/ Norths or West Coast. How are you guys gonna deal to get Gibson and Burgoyne, good luck there :)

Would try and hold back trading pick 9. Offer them our second round pick and a player out of : Ladson, Osbourne, Morton, Tuck. If Port say no, then let him walk to the PSD.

But that's silly. I can understand playing hard-ball with a mid-tier player like a Gibson or Thornton.

We genuinely want and need a Burgoyne, it's sillly to always play hard ball.

Pick 9 and a player is fair, once the player is decided upon.

Would be happy to see that than take a spit in the face like that.

Put yourself in this position if Sewell or Mitchell said they want to got toe Adelaide and we offered you something like that, I bet you would ratehr see them shafted at a 16th ranked side than get an ordinary offer

I fit and firing Shaun Burgoyne is worth Pick 9 but we're talking about a bloke that struggles to get out on the park because of a dodgy knee. This devalues him significantly.
In fairness to him he has been extremely durable in the past, its not like he has regularly missed consecutive season due to injury:
2002 - 14 games (debut season, probably struggling to break into best 22)
2003 - 22 games
2004 - 22 games
2005 - 13 games (not sure what was his problem here, any ideas?)
2006 - 22 games
2007 - 22 games
2008 - 19 games (3 game suspension for accidental head-high contact to Mitchell)
2009 - 9 games (knee bone bruising/cartilage issues)

Does anyone know what the deal with knee bone bruising is and how serious it is, for some reason I thought it was like a bruised heel, niggles you for the entirety of a season but with a good couple of months rest everything is back to normal.

Remove this Banner Ad

What is a reasonable trade for Burgoyne?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back