What is the worst game you have ever watched?

Remove this Banner Ad

That North v Saints game, for sure. But for a left-field one, I remember sitting incredulous on my couch last year, while 16 GWS players continued to score at will against 18 Carlton players. Never seen anything like it. Was insane.

That pies dees game queens birthday a number of years ago?

I was there. Took our Canadian exchange student to his first game.

Spent the whole match apologising at how s**t it was. "It's not usually like this".
I'm pretty sure this was the lowest scoring match in modern history until very recently.
61-28

This is the problem, it wasn't a home and away game, not a lead up final, it was the G.F, to sit through four quarters of absolute rubbish on the biggest day of the year, and there has been some other bad ones, but this one takes the cake. s**t. House.
2013 didn’t even have tension going for it though, result was never in doubt bar a very brief period around 3QT

Ok.

The year was 1994, and I had some friends over from England who want to see a game of footy.

That weekend, the Hawks were playing the (increasingly tragic) Fitzroy football club, so I start to talk up the Hawks and Jason Dunstall in particular..

"It will be a bloodbath, and you may see the best player in the league kick 12 goals!" " We never lose out here"

They were excited, I was excited.. off we weant for some beer and lukewarm pies, and a comfortable victory...

...To see the Lions win, 10.6:66 to 7.11:53

Dunstall was goalless, the footy was pathetic... And we were beaten by one of the poorest teams in history.

I point at that game as the start of the decline of the great Hawks teams, and within 2 years, we were at merger point, and didnt begin rise again until the early 2000's. I was in my mid 20's and I had NEVER seen a very bad Hawks team (Ever), so it was a sick feeling of realisation.

My guests thought footy was crap. And it was that day.

Last edited:
Worst day at the footy I've ever been to, we won by 150 points. Fitzroy's last game. Just horrible. But that's a special case.

As for 'why am I here?' - I have really bad luck with Docklands. Rarely see a good game live there. Begin with the lousy atmosphere, ugly, grey stadium and Stalinist architecture (all related) and your starting from a long way back to begin with.

Ok.

The year was 1994, and I had some friends over from England who want to see a game of footy.

That weekend, the Hawks were playing the (increasingly tragic) Fitzroy football club, so I start to talk up the Hawks and Jason Dunstall in particular..

"It will be a bloodbath, and you may see the best player in the league kick 12 goals!" " We never lose out here"

They were excited, I was excited.. off we weant for some beer and lukewarm pies, and a comfortable victory...

...To see the Lions win, 10.6:66 to 7.11:53

Dunstall was goalless, the footy was pathetic... And we were beaten by one of the poorest teams in history.

I point at that game as the start of the decline of the great Hawks teams, and within 2 years, we were at merger point, and didnt begin rise again until the early 2000's. I was in my mid 20's and I had NEVER seen a very bad Hawks team (Ever), so it was a sick feeling of realisation.

My guests thought footy was crap. And it was that day.

Fitzroy were not as bad as many probably think at that time. In 1993, they actually won 50% of their matches for the season so to win in Round 1 the following season against a ream who were in decline does not seem so far fetched.

Some close, low scoring games are bad, but often it's great defenstive intensity, and sometimes the close scoreboard margin makes the interest of who will acutally win come out on top.

The worst games are when a good team beats a bad team, but there's no narrative to come out of it (low crowd, no young players standing up for the first time, and the margin isn't so big to see a "clinical" performance by 10-15 goals by the good team - one where they get to a 5-8 goal lead and toy with it for the rest of the match)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some close, low scoring games are bad, but often it's great defenstive intensity, and sometimes the close scoreboard margin makes the interest of who will acutally win come out on top.

The worst games are when a good team beats a bad team, but there's no narrative to come out of it (low crowd, no young players standing up for the first time, and the margin isn't so big to see a "clinical" performance by 10-15 goals by the good team - one where they get to a 5-8 goal lead and toy with it for the rest of the match)
Exactly my thoughts as well. The low-scoring thrillers and weird defensive performances are gripping or novelty value, and the beltings can be vicarious, but those nondescript 40pt wins with nothing really of note are the horror of neutrals. Add some dodgy weather, a bit of wind, two clubs with no history, and ugh.

Round 4 2012, West Coast 5.21 (51) def. Hawthorn 5.16 (46)

A very anticipated game at Subi, absolutely bucketed down, I had no rain jacket and sat through a genuinely horrendous game.
Each to their own, but I remember that being a great win as an Eagles fan. To win ugly like that was enthralling to me. It felt like our apprenticeship of contention was completed.

I remember a game a few years ago at Subiaco, Hawthorn vs Fremantle. It has bucketed down, Hawks got out to an early lead and then commenced what was described as a rucking maul for the rest of the game, that Freo just couldn't score against.
Absolutely shiteful game of footy.
I'm sure Hawks fans were happy though.

I remember a game a few years ago at Subiaco, Hawthorn vs Fremantle. It has bucketed down, Hawks got out to an early lead and then commenced what was described as a rucking maul for the rest of the game, that Freo just couldn't score against.
Absolutely s**teful game of footy.
I'm sure Hawks fans were happy though.
I think I remember that one, Alex Silvagni kept Buddy to one goal?

Remove this Banner Ad

What is the worst game you have ever watched?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back