What is your favorite PPV of all time?

Remove this Banner Ad

As a kid I loved SummerSlam 91 (Bret/Perfect was classic, LOD/Nasty's was "hardcore" for the time), Survivor Series 1990 (Undertaker debut and Warrior teaming with Hogan) & Royal Rumble '92 (Flair lasting the whole match was unbelievable and it was for the Title). Loved the commentary on those old PPV's as well - Heenan or Ventura with Monsoon or McMahon was for the most part hilarious.

Halloween Havoc '96 was the first WCW PPV I saw and it was great from top to bottom. Not many more WCW PPV's that I can remember though but for some reason Slamboree '98 sticks out in my mind (maybe cos it's one of the few I ordered around that time).

Loved Survivor Series '95 & IYH 7 both for the main events with people going through the tables (which was still a novelty at the time for WWF). KOTR 98 for the HIAC & First Blood matches, Royal Rumble 2000 was pretty damn good from top to finish and No Way Out 2000 for the HIAC. Loved Rumble 98 & 99 as well (the Rock/Mankind match at 99 was crazy - so many chairshots!!) and Mania 14 for the birth of the SC era.

There are plenty more I'm sure I've forgotten over the years but as you can tell I'm more of a WWF fan than WCW. During the "Monday Night War" era I did love the undercard on WCW PPV's but thought their main events were rubbish whereas I thought WWF had rubbish undercards (until about mid-98) but great main events.

I also rate

Wm 3 best ever

Wm6 super event

Survivor series 90

Royal rumble 92 was epic IMO

Wrestle war 89

On a sad note I was only able to find ecw and old nwa ecw tapes in 99

Was so gooood the product lost a lot after the golden age

The wcw biscoff / ecw / wwe attitude however was sensational

I think wrestling lost something it never regained after wm 18

Had to dig this thread up and give it a post as I've been getting very nostalgic as of late - been watching a lot of TV related stuff from the 90s and early 00s - really made me appreciate how good/fun watching wrestling back then was - compared to nowadays anyway (even though there are some ppv's on my list that are quite recent) - my favorite ppv's are:

One Night Stand 2008 - Probably the last time the WWE was 'extreme' to any extent of the word before the 'pg era' kicked in. There was blood, excitement, good build up and some great matches - John Cena vs JBL in a 'First Blood Match', Batista vs Shawn Michaels in a 'Stretcher Match', Triple H vs Randy Orton in a 'Last Man Standing Match' for the WWE Championship (Randy Orton broke his collar bone in this match), Edge vs The Undertaker in a 'TLC Match' for the World Heavyweight Championship (a prelude to their famous SummerSlam 'Hell In A Cell Match').

Wrestlemania 2000 - The first ever Wrestlemania I watched. Not a single one-on-one match on the card, which maximized the usage of the talent they had at the time. The Triangle Ladder match is probably the most famous match of the night, with the three best tag-teams in the WWF at the time (Hardys, Edge & Christian, The Dudleyz) putting their bodies on the line purely to entertain the crowd. They pushed the boundaries further than they had done at No Mercy 1999 and the crowd lapped it up, applauding all three teams after the match was over.

SummerSlam 2003 - One of the best SummerSlam's the WWE has ever held in my opinion. Kane had taken his mask off weeks earlier unleashing the rage within and entered into a great feud with Rob Van Dam - Kane's anger seemed so believable and RVD played the 'he's got no chance' role perfectly. Kurt Angle faced of against Brock Lesnar for the WWE Championship in a rematch from Wrestlemania XIX, a match that is very underrated as it is usually overlooked in favor of the the Elimination Chamber match for the World Heavyweight Championship that had Triple H, Goldberg, Chris Jericho, Randy Orton, Kevin Nash and Shawn Michaels.

InVasion 2001 - InVasion was pivotal in the main 'invasion' storyline and in directing the individual storylines for the next few months. It all culminated at the Survivor Series of the same year, but it really kicked off on this ppv dedicated to the chaos. There were plenty of 'goosebump moments' during the invasion storyline, many of which happened on this night. Inter-promotional matches made the night exciting and fresh, as a WWF audience was not used to seeing WCW and ECW stars face the talent of the WWF. Even when watching today, I still find myself really rooting for every WWF superstar. Considering most major stars were missing - especially for WCW - the WWF did a really good job of making WCW/ECW look like a real threat to the WWF.

Bad Blood 2004 - Purely for one of - if not the - best 'Hell In A Cell' match i've ever watched. Triple H vs Shawn Michaels. The feud was coming to a close and it was one last effort to see who the better man was. Both men came out of the cell bloodied, battered and bruised after nearly 50 minutes of punishment inside the demonic structure. The best part about the match was the fact that they made the audience feel the emotion. They weren’t just watching a match, but two men give everything they had in the name of pride and honor. Even if you don’t watch the whole event, watch the Hell in a Cell match - you won’t be disappointed.

ECW One Night Stand 2005 - This ECW reunion counts as a WWE ppv. Gone was the extravagant set and pyrotechnics of the WWE - it was back to basics for this one night only reunion. It featured many stars of ECW, including 'old-school' Lionheart Chris Jericho. Words cannot do this ppv justice - you just need to see it.

SummerSlam 2002 - SummerSlam 2002 was a great event and the first time Brock Lesnar ever won the WWE Championship in a huge upset against The Rock. It also had the in-ring return of Shawn Michaels, who had been out of action for nearly four years after an injury that almost cost him his career. In an 'Unsanctioned Street Fight' between HBK and Triple H - the two men gave it all they had and in classic Triple H fashion, he attacked his former best friend with his patented sledgehammer, causing Michaels to be carted from the arena. Lesnar and The Rock put on a fantastic WWE Championship match and with The Rock’s tenure at WWE slowly coming to a close, this would be his final WWE Championship reign.

SummerSlam 2000 - Purely for hosting the first ever Tables, Ladders and Chairs match, which pitted the Hardy Boyz vs. The Dudley Boyz vs. Edge & Christian. All six men put on a clinic, and it is a match that is etched in nearly every wrestling fan’s mind. The three outstanding tag teams pushed themselves to limits we didn’t even know were possible. All three teams left the arena to a standing ovation for the hard work and effort they put into the match.

Wrestlemania XXVII (27) & XXVIII (28) - 27 for the match between Triple H and The Undertaker. Easily the only time I thought 'The Streak' was coming to an end. The highest rated match of the card - clocking a 9.5 out of 10. Both men gave it their absolute all with Triple H even hitting The Undertaker with a tombstone to try and break 'The Streak'. The Undertaker eventually came out on top. 28 for the match between The Rock and John Cena dubbed 'once in a lifetime'. The two men gave it everything and The Rock never missed a beat. He eventually beat the Cena in true Rocky fashion. They also included spots that haven’t been seen for years, such as the 'fading' when in a submission hold. This should be the match of the decade, as I can’t see the WWE coming up with anything better than this.

Wrestlemania X-Seven (17) - Wrestlemania X-Seven was the first time a Wrestlemania ever felt larger than life for me, and it was purely because of the stage setup, the pyrotechnics and the array of top-notch superstars that wrestled on this card. Too many great matches to mention in detail so I'll pick the best ones. 'TLC' was given a sequel at this ppv as the Hardy Boyz took on the Dudley Boyz and Edge & Christian in yet another table-smashing, ladder-climbing, chair-butting extravaganza. Jeff Hardy jumped from an unbelievably high ladder right through the interfering Spike Dudley and Rhyno. Edge and Christian retained their titles in a match that many consider to be the pinnacle of TLC matches. The Undertaker faced Triple H in a 'No Disqualification' match, which didn’t hold quite the same urgency in regards to 'The Streak' as it does do today. Regardless, Triple H still became a victim to 'The Streak'. No doubt the biggest match of the event was Stone Cold Steve Austin vs. The Rock for the WWF Championship. Both men went at it for ages, reversing finishers left, right and center. The tension built up and up before Austin turned heel, sided with Vince McMahon and hit The Rock with more chair shots than Mick Foley ever received, officially bringing the 'Attitude Era' to an end. To me this ppv is unbeatable due to the excellent card, great booking and timing of each match, and the fact that it made Wrestlemania feel truly out of this world.

One Night Stand 2008 - Probably the last time the WWE was 'extreme' to any extent of the word before the 'pg era' kicked in. There was blood, excitement, good build up and some great matches - John Cena vs JBL in a 'First Blood Match', Batista vs Shawn Michaels in a 'Stretcher Match', Triple H vs Randy Orton in a 'Last Man Standing Match' for the WWE Championship (Randy Orton broke his collar bone in this match), Edge vs The Undertaker in a 'TLC Match' for the World Heavyweight Championship (a prelude to their famous SummerSlam 'Hell In A Cell Match').

That whole PPV was fcuking awesome!! Jeff Hardy vs Umaga Falls Count Anywhere Match was insane, even the 5 man singapore cane match was good.

Wrestlemania XXVII (27) & XXVIII (28) - 27 for the match between Triple H and The Undertaker. Easily the only time I thought 'The Streak' was coming to an end. The highest rated match of the card - clocking a 9.5 out of 10. Both men gave it their absolute all with Triple H even hitting The Undertaker with a tombstone to try and break 'The Streak'. The Undertaker eventually came out on top. 28 for the match between The Rock and John Cena dubbed 'once in a lifetime'. The two men gave it everything and The Rock never missed a beat. He eventually beat the Cena in true Rocky fashion. They also included spots that haven’t been seen for years, such as the 'fading' when in a submission hold. This should be the match of the decade, as I can’t see the WWE coming up with anything better than this.

I have never seen someone rate this match like that.

wwe.com put out a list of the 15 greatest PPVs of all time
http://www.wwe.com/classics/15-best-pay-per-views15) WWF Survivor Series '95
14) ECW Heatwave '98
13) WWE Backlash '09
12) WCW Bash at the Beach '96
11) WWE Extreme Rules '12
10) WWF Canadian Stampede
09) WWF No Way Out '01
08) ECW One Night Stand
07) WWE Summerslam '13
06) NWA Great American Bash '89
05) WWF Wrestlemania III
04) WCW Spring Stampede '94
03) WWF Royal Rumble 2000
02) WWE Money in the Bank '11
01) WWF Wrestlemania X-7

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hard to go past WrestleMania X-Seven for mine. An amazing pay per view that capped off a great era.

Remove this Banner Ad

What is your favorite PPV of all time?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back