Opinion What is your favourite mark of all time?

Remove this Banner Ad

Chris Tarrant took a strong pack mark Queens birthday match, a few weeks before that Moorcroft mark.
Yes, that Moorcroft mark is far more superior. Also a fan of that Riewoldt mark.

On a side note, I believe Garry Lyon has been involved in 3 marks of the year, none of which he has taken...

I was there for the Moorcroft mark. It was unreal.

I was also there for the 'Sky' Walker mark. That's the best I've ever seen. Even the Essendon members stood for that one.

These are my favourite marks that I got to see live, so they all hold a special spot. Wingard's was 20 metres from me, which was just crazy to see.

Attachments

• 3be1bfad3ac159aa4b9c3ec540df40a0.jpg
    3be1bfad3ac159aa4b9c3ec540df40a0.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 38
  • a6E3M1R_700b.jpg
    a6E3M1R_700b.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 39
  • gettyimages-165116240-1024x1024.jpg
    gettyimages-165116240-1024x1024.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 40
  • JURRAH.jpg
    JURRAH.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 36
Moorcroft still, but the MOTY that Jeremy Howe took on the wing when he was playing for Melbourne is almost as spectacular. Then Ashley Sampi. That's only from this century and in the AFL. The best mark I've ever seen was in about 1972 watching country football in the GNFL.

The one right before we took the lead in the 2021 grand final from Angus Brayshaw.
Amazing courage.
He played a fn' blinder too.

Keith Thomas 1984 SANFL GF.
Brilliant mark running with the flight of the ball (third effort in that passage of play), plays on and puts it on the chest of Michael Aish leading from the pocket.

Michael Aish didn't complete the script with maybe his worst kick in his SANFL career. That mark was iconic and Keith Thomas' game was inspirational. The Aish run/Thomas goal later in the game equally as iconic.

Michael Aish didn't complete the script with maybe his worst kick in his SANFL career. That mark was iconic and Keith Thomas' game was inspirational. The Aish run/Thomas goal later in the game equally as iconic.
Yep, bad miss, but in the end it didn't matter.
The Aish boundary run and eventual Thomas goal was another thrilling passage of play and crucial part of the final result.

As John Gerovich doesnt have any on film Shaun Smith mark in the goal square against Richmond gets my vote.
Derek Kickett did take a couple for West Perth before he went to Essendon that would make your head spin.
65131436_2528667513856239_5918310293590507520_n.jpg

There was no better player to to watch than Derek Kickett when he turned it on.

I’ve got 3 - the one in my avatar which was Elliott over 3 Port players, Tarrant’s on QB and Buckley’s vs Port is a sentimental one for me.

Buckley’s one against Port was in Round 1, 1997. Both Port Adelaide’s first ever AFL game, and mine live in the stands as a kid.

5A62B5D9-8D24-4EE7-B323-77A2026CCCA6.jpeg

Chris Tarrant took a strong pack mark Queens birthday match, a few weeks before that Moorcroft mark.

Tarrant’s is the greatest mark I’ve ever seen and has a bit of Roach about it.

5FDFD58B-BEA5-43A7-9178-84E73749067E.gif

I’ve got 3 - the one in my avatar which was Elliott over 3 Port players, Tarrant’s on QB and Buckley’s vs Port is a sentimental one for me.

Buckley’s one against Port was in Round 1, 1997. Both Port Adelaide’s first ever AFL game, and mine live in the stands as a kid.

View attachment 1405301

View attachment 1405304
Elliott’s mark:
47C84CE6-BDB2-4528-B5EE-D4D7D0BF12AC.gif

View attachment 1405301

View attachment 1405304
Tarrant’s is a very under-rated mark, what a ripper.

I always rate pack marks over a one on one shoulder ride eg:Moorcroft. Degree of difficulty is so much higher.

And I don’t know what it is but it seems like 90% of the best marks are taken against us!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tarrant’s is a very under-rated mark, what a ripper.

I always rate pack marks over a one on one shoulder ride eg:Moorcroft. Degree of difficulty is so much higher.

And I don’t know what it is but it seems like 90% of the best marks are taken against us!
I’m with ya, I reckon pack marks are so much more aesthetically pleasing to watch. Rising above a pack has a better look than getting on one person’s shoulders. Getting up on one person’s shoulders is probably harder to do though.

My favourite non Carlton one was Goddard's mark in the 4th quarter of the 2010 GF.

Epic mark at a crucial part of the GF. Had they gone on to win, that mark would have become a statue out the front of Moorabbin.
Goddard would have been flat out fatigued by that stage of the game, to get as high as he did was insane.

View attachment 1405301

View attachment 1405304

Tarrant took a huge pack mark against my mob sometime in the late 90s/early 2000s, over Scarlett and about 20 others ..

Tarrant took a huge pack mark against my mob sometime in the late 90s/early 2000s, over Scarlett and about 20 others ..
I think that was 2003’s MOTY but I’ve always rated the 2001 QB one above as the greatest mark. Still don’t believe it wasn’t even MOTY lol

Dont ask me what year it was
But Brett Burton vs Carlton.

And no, not in the blowout win vs them in the final round of the year where he got mark of the year

There was one a few years prior

Found it

Sorry for it being a reaction video. But I couldn't find the exact mark

Go to 2:25 mark

The best I've seen at the ground was Ablett's mark against Collingwood. I was sitting ground floor in the old AFL members section so didn't get a great view of it, but vividly remember seeing him rise up over Pert. Just incredible. Farmer's mark against Richmond in 1998 would be next best. Was on level 3 behind the goals so almost had a birds eye view of it.

My favourite all time mark though was Leo Barry in the GF. Iconic mark and an amazing finish to a grand final.

OP said it didn't have to be the best mark...

4.47 of this video...2013 EF against Richmond...Lachlan Henderson running with the flight of the ball.

I knew we would win when he took that mark. The euphoria of the moment was only topped when Jeff Garlett sharked that handball and ran 100m into an open goal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back