What one moment caused you to rage more than anything else?

Remove this Banner Ad

Suffering is seeing your beloved team lose ten grand finals and draw two-most of which your team was in a winning position deep into the game. My brother in law is a tiger fan and has often talked of his endless suffering as a Richmond supporter. I begged to differ. Constantly losing home and away games is frustrating and upsetting. Missing out on finals year after year is frustrating. I have followed the pies for five decades and I have seen us win two wooden spoons and have a couple of lengthy periods out of finals contention. The years in which we dominated the comp or were top four but went on to lose very winnable grand finals were infinitely more painful and scarring. No other team in the competition comes close to our trail of heartbreak.
  • 1964- four points. Winning goal kicked by a back pocket in dying seconds-unheard of.
  • 1966-one point-a wobbly snap. Tuddy streaming forward but his long bomb cut off by Murray and siren sounds.
  • 1970- Leading by 44 points at half time-should have been more. Lose when Jezza seals it with a blind snap from 45 metres which bounces about through for a most agonizing and deeply scarring loss.
  • 1973 Lead Richmond by six goals at halftime in prelim-lose by 7 points.
  • 1977- Hot favourites. Lose Carman to an act of madness. Still 27 points up at three quarter time. Roos storm home. Twiggy takes a pack mark and we grab a draw.
  • 1977 replay. Roos dominate. Six goals down early in last term before we bang on four goals in six minutes. Hopes rise, could this be the dream come true when all seemed lost? No. Roos bang home another four for a cosy victory.
  • 1978-lose prelim by 12 points.
  • 1979- Five points down with a minute remaining- Blues win clearance and as we rebound siren sounds. Infamous Harmes moment when ball was over the line. Agony.
  • 1980-climb the mountain again. A great team lacking star power. Get flogged by Richmond. 83 points.
  • 1981-climb it again. Leading Blues by 21 points at the 28 minute mark of third term with rain falling and slippery ball. Blues kick two goals in last minute and I know the game is lost even though we lead by 9 points at three quarter time. Blues run all over us. Lose by 20 points.
  • A few long years in the wilderness.
  • 2002-Gutsy team under Malthouse makes the GF. Given no chance against the all conquering Brisbane Lions. Rocca kicks goal in last quarter-I was right behind them and we all went up in unison when we hit the front! Goal umpire begs to differ. We do hit the front with ten minutes to go. Then Buckley breaks from the middle, bounces and goes long the top of the pocket. White has his arm wrapped around Tarrant's waist and his other arm crashes into his head as he spoils. Robert Walls calls the free immediately. Ump says play on. Ball goes up the other end- Lynch gets a free for interference from Wakelin and Walls is astounded that what was let go at one end is paid at the other. Lions back in front. Aker seals it with few minutes to go.
  • 2003- Lost our most important player through suspension(Rocca) and are never in the game against the Lions. Lose by 8 goals.
  • 2010- Dominant team. Dominate Saints in first half but fail to put them away due to poor conversion from Cloke. Saints storm home. I watched with the most sickening feeling as Milne ran onto a loose ball not far from my spot in standing room. The ball bounced through before he could grab it. Draw. My son and I were numb after this game.
  • 2011- Great game for three quarters. Tight, tough. I called the turning point at the time when Podsiadly wrecked his shoulder. I was so angry as we had him covered and I knew the Cats would go small. Cats ran over us in the last term.
Throughout all of this agony we (pie fans and me personally) copped the most vitriolic abuse both during and after each GF loss. Pies were hated like no other team through the "Colliwobbles" era. I still hurt over these losses decades later!

Still nothing on St. Kilda. One of the founding VFL teams and one premiership by a SINGLE point! Lol. And then in 2010 they draw and lose the replay. Couldn't set up a more heartbreaking script. 1 premiership in 6 grannies. You've gotta be a masochist to be a Saints supporter.

When it was announced that Buddy had agreed to sign with Sydney instead of GWS. Was resigned to him leaving but not to another premiership contender.

I still thought it was some sick joke when the news first broke. Even worse having a mate who goes for Sydney. He used to absolutely detest Buddy before he went to the Swans. Thankfully I feel like he remembers that and doesn't go on about him all that much.

Brian Lake literally did the same thing 30 seconds later. Should have been an after the siren kick to Angus Monfries.
If you ignore Lake's arm being held in the marking contest 3 seconds prior

Still nothing on St. Kilda. One of the founding VFL teams and one premiership by a SINGLE point! Lol. And then in 2010 they draw and lose the replay. Couldn't set up a more heartbreaking script. 1 premiership in 6 grannies. You've gotta be a masochist to be a Saints supporter.
Tough times but still nothing like the number of times we have had one hand on the cup only to have it snatched away. Spending years in the wilderness is dispiriting and frustrating-but not on the same level as the pain of losing GF's you were in up to your neck. They have had a taste of what we dined out on for decades.

When Buddy got his tooth knocked out in 2009 against the Saints and didnt get a free, I kicked the footrest on my brothers recliner and went straight through the wood splitting it in half. Was completely justified though.

Last year lose to freo after the siren and follow up the next week by a bolton goal review then cameron goal to seal it for a 12 point play

Roller coaster of emotions.

West Coast Vs Port Adelaide 2013 had already had a losing day on the punt and was in tilt mode. Was intending to take the eagles at the line and the internet cut. I went berserk and started smashing the clothes error into a million pieces as well as screaming my head off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also, the non-holding the ball decision/quickest ball up ever called when Paul Chapman dived on the ball in the finals seconds of the final round of 2013 when the Lions were in finals contention. Lost my shit.

Tough times but still nothing like the number of times we have had one hand on the cup only to have it snatched away. Spending years in the wilderness is dispiriting and frustrating-but not on the same level as the pain of losing GF's you were in up to your neck. They have had a taste of what we dined out on for decades.

They've won 1, lost 6 GFs. I think Collingwood is like 15 out of 42 or so? Granted a ton of Collingwood's premierships were pre WWII.

When shitbag Harvey knocked ball from Priddis’s hands and was then awarded a 50m penalty in his favour. Cheating little shite. And the AFL did nothing. Talk about bringing the game into disrepute.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

And the commentators were going on about what a clever little scamp he was to make it even worse!

You can probably laugh about the after the siren montage now.
There’s some things I can laugh at in hindsight. Letting a team as hopeless as GC in 2012 win their first game of the year, via a Rugby player goal after the siren, despite leading by 10 points with less than a minute, is not one of those. It doesn’t hurt anywhere near as much anymore but there is no laughing at that.

Last year's elimination final when Shuey kicked the goal after the siren. My girlfriend at the time was not pleased with how angry I was for the next 30 minutes, mostly because her family wasn't sports oriented and just didn't have any way to know how I could feel so strongly.

Last game of season 2017. Playing a Collingwood side missing a good part of their best team to injury, just had to show up and play alright for atleast 3 qtrs to play finals. Ofcourse we didn't even show up, played soft and took it to a new low.

Really considered if enough was enough and if I should bother supporting the MFC

Remove this Banner Ad

What one moment caused you to rage more than anything else?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back