What one moment caused you to rage more than anything else?

Remove this Banner Ad

North have done this a lot to me over the years, however last year v Freo the first time when Shane Kersten (who?) kicked the sealer. VB can was launched into the TV. We were due an upgrade anyway.

Andrew Embley’s turnover leading to a Collingwood match sealing goal, 2012 Semi final.
We had just hit the lead in the last quarter and we were streaming forward, loose players everywhere, I still think to this day we'd have won it had Embley not dribbled the kick straight to a free Pies player.

2008 Prelim Final vs Geelong. 10 minutes to go, we were 17 points down but it felt like we had all the run and were a big chance to cause a huge upset.

Dale Morris switches it across to Brad Johnson in the defensive 50 only to have Max Rooke make extremely obvious front-on contact and spoil Johnson's marking attempt without touching the ball. Johnson goes down, the Cats pick it up and Rooke slots the easy goal. Game and season over.

That and when Akermanis got called for deliberate out of bounds in the last quarter of the 2009 prelim, leading to a Riewoldt goal. Would be paid each and every time under today's rules, but getting pinged for a kick that went 50m forward out of defence was unheard of at the time.

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/2012/030520120421.html

We were flag faves having flogged Collingwood by 10 goals on FNF the previous. Essendon had barely got over the line against a still insipid Gold Coast the previous week.

Halfway through the second-quarter it was nip and tuck before the bombers slammed on 4 unanswered goals just before half time. They added 5 more to 1 in the 3rd quarter and it has pretty much been downhill from their since.

1987 PF when Buckenara kicked the goal after the siren. I was 15 and so angry that I eventually ditched Melbourne when the Crows came in. Dees can only break your heart

2016 R2, tiges 17 points up over Collingwood, 5min to go
Give them a couple of goals, we’re up by 5 with 30sec to go. First ever deliberate OOB called against us, 60m from Collingwood’s goal, they kick it to the top of the square, and Brodie ******* Grundy toe pokes it through.
Absolutely bloody lost my shit

IIRC, Tyrone Vickery had a very gettable set shot that would have put you 4 goals up and the result almost beyond doubt. But he tried to play on or pass it, or something stupid instead of just taking the kick, and the Pies whizzed it up the other end for a goal.

Wasn't commented on much at the time, but that was what started the comeback for Collingwood with a few minutes to go.

EDIT: As an aside, I'll just say that as a neutral, this was literally the funniest game I have ever watched with all the ridiculous turnovers and no-pressure errors. Seeing guys come streaming off the half-back line, run the wing, and then blatantly kick it straight down the oppositions' throat had me giggling like a 5 year old.

IIRC, Tyrone Vickery had a very gettable set shot that would have put you 4 goals up and the result almost beyond doubt. But he tried to play on or pass it, or something stupid instead of just taking the kick, and the Pies whizzed it up the other end for a goal.

Wasn't commented on much at the time, but that was what started the comeback for Collingwood with a few minutes to go.
Sounds like a very Vickery thing to do, so I’ll take your word on it.
I have successfully erased much of that game from my memory.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2008 Prelim Final vs Geelong. 10 minutes to go, we were 17 points down but it felt like we had all the run and were a big chance to cause a huge upset.

Dale Morris switches it across to Brad Johnson in the defensive 50 only to have Max Rooke make extremely obvious front-on contact and spoil Johnson's marking attempt without touching the ball. Johnson goes down, the Cats pick it up and Rooke slots the easy goal. Game and season over.

That and when Akermanis got called for deliberate out of bounds in the last quarter of the 2009 prelim, leading to a Riewoldt goal. Would be paid each and every time under today's rules, but getting pinged for a kick that went 50m forward out of defence was unheard of at the time.

That front on contact really could not have been more blatant.

The final quarter of Rd 2 this year - Cats vs Hawks.

Geelong steaming home from 24 points down and the umpires refuse to pay any holding the ball or incorrect disposal against a Geelong player.

The tension of losing yet another game to Geelong was bad enough, but the umpiring made me lose my cool.

I couldn't even celebrate Roughead's matchwinning point, I just collapsed in my seat on the Great Southern Stand.

No wonder Chris Scott laughed off Buckley's idea of rewarding the tackler more.

Brent Staker in the 2005 GF.

As a 13 year old I raged significantly when St Kilda beat us by two points at Subi in 1998 after Ashley McIntosh was pinged for the most ridiculous HTB decision you'll ever see. The ball was behind him FFS. It was featured on Bounce the other week. Spider Everitt and Daniel Healy kicked 6 each. Andrew Donnelly kicked 5 and Fraser Gehrig 4 for us.

The final quarter of Rd 2 this year - Cats vs Hawks.

Geelong steaming home from 24 points down and the umpires refuse to pay any holding the ball or incorrect disposal against a Geelong player.

The tension of losing yet another game to Geelong was bad enough, but the umpiring made me lose my cool.

I couldn't even celebrate Roughead's matchwinning point, I just collapsed in my seat on the Great Southern Stand.

No wonder Chris Scott laughed off Buckley's idea of rewarding the tackler more.

Did you watch the last quarter against Sydney? As bad as we were, there were a handful of occasions where we literally could have done nothing more to earn an incorrect disposal or holding free kick and didn’t get it. Swings and roundabouts.

Pretty much any Geelong game
-the Tom Hawkins one still hits pretty hard. Although I’ve learned to love him and every time they show him doing the heart to the sky for his Mum I choke up.
-issac smith missing goals to win x2
-but the one I’m not overly proud of is deliberately whacking a woman with my backpack when Jimmy Bartel kicked the behind to win the game. To be fair she probably deserved it

Remove this Banner Ad

What one moment caused you to rage more than anything else?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back