What the supporters want - A message to Andrew Fagan

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 14, 2012
Los Santos
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Orlando Magic, Nick Diaz, Exers
We're all excited about the appointment of Fagan and I think one of the best things to come out of it is hearing that he will be listening to the supporters. So I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread about what we want to see change/happen and then someone could tweet or email this thread link to him.

I'll start it off:

New logo
New clash guernsey

We're all excited about the appointment of Fagan and I think one of the best things to come out of it is hearing that he will be listening to the supporters. So I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread about what we want to see change/happen and then someone could tweet or email this thread link to him.

I'll start it off:

New logo
New clash guernsey
old logo back (swooping crow with tricolours)

New coaching staff.

New marketing staff.

The removal of anyone still surviving from the Craig era.

They've had their chance. They've had several.

If I hear in the next few weeks that all of the Craig-era assistant coaches are negotiating new contracts, I will be firing up Spackler's dump truck.

Also, if you say the clash strip will only be worn in exceptional circumstances, and that hoops and white shorts will be worn most of the time, MEAN IT and FIGHT FOR IT.

New coaching staff.

New marketing staff.

The removal of anyone still surviving from the Craig era.

They've had their chance. They've had several.

If I hear in the next few weeks that all of the Craig-era assistant coaches are negotiating new contracts, I will be firing up Spackler's dump truck.

Also, if you say the clash strip will only be worn in exceptional circumstances, and that hoops and white shorts will be worn most of the time, MEAN IT and FIGHT FOR IT.
Danger?
VB?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When you talk engagement - I would like to see meaningful sharing of on field strategy where it is practicable to do so.

If we don't think this list can win a flag - say so. If we need rebuild time then again - say so.

Give the supporter base some idea of our on field direction and our timetable for success.

Fulfil the promise to put the best staff in place, in and outside the footy department.

New "traditional" away strip- white with 3 hoops. Design it as a long term option (following the would we be prepared to wear this in a GF and have it immortalised in our history when we win principal), not a cash grab aimed at the kids.

Supplement that with designing a preseason/training strips that cater to the kid market with these types of designs.

I would also be for us designing a new, strong logo that I can be proud to don on my chest as part of a AFC polo for example.

I would like to see us implement a concerted, strong marketing campaign and game day plan for next season rather than ad hoc, made up on the run as it was this year.
This includes
- stronger, confident marketing campaign for season launch/member advertisement. Make a feature the exciting on field talent we have (Sloane, Tex, Danger centre stage in this) and surround this with the pull of Adelaide Oval and the excitement that it can generate. No embarrassing, cheap fans singing the song with the players etc that lacks passion.
- introduce threads into this campaign or in other releases that introduce concepts the club intends to use throughout the year. Eg if we were port with NTUA then introduce that concept early so when we try build on it with game day activities it already has some momentum (not saying copy that just an example).

I am a fan of aiming for a towel waving tradition for the fans- to be done when the team runs out and perhaps before the bounce of he ball at each quarter (also behind the goals during opposition set shots and after our goals but let that happen naturally rather than push too many things at once). Get current and past players and Millsy to feature in adds/videos building this up and produce all 3 of our colours and include in members packs and sell at games. If this for example was implemented, in the marketing adds, feature this happening around adelaide oval so the concept is introduced early without people realising.

I didn't hear Andrew's press conference but I did hear his interview on 5AA and what I heard I liked. If he can deliver most of what he described as his aims then I would be very happy.
He stated that the club's supporter base was of our great strengths. What about leveraging that to off field success. both in South Australia, interstate and in the AFL. If we have to be belligerent to do so then so be it.
The AFC should be respected.
The footy department should be elite.
The clubs marketing should not embarrass us.

Get these right and on field success should follow.

Fulfil the promise to put the best staff in place, in and outside the footy department.

New "traditional" away strip- white with 3 hoops. Design it as a long term option (following the would we be prepared to wear this in a GF and have it immortalised in our history when we win principal), not a cash grab aimed at the kids.

Supplement that with designing a preseason/training strips that cater to the kid market with these types of designs.

I would also be for us designing a new, strong logo that I can be proud to don on my chest as part of a AFC polo for example.

I would like to see us implement a concerted, strong marketing campaign and game day plan for next season rather than ad hoc, made up on the run as it was this year.
This includes
- stronger, confident marketing campaign for season launch/member advertisement. Make a feature the exciting on field talent we have (Sloane, Tex, Danger centre stage in this) and surround this with the pull of Adelaide Oval and the excitement that it can generate. No embarrassing, cheap fans singing the song with the players etc that lacks passion.
- introduce threads into this campaign or in other releases that introduce concepts the club intends to use throughout the year. Eg if we were port with NTUA then introduce that concept early so when we try build on it with game day activities it already has some momentum (not saying copy that just an example).

I am a fan of aiming for a towel waving tradition for the fans- to be done when the team runs out and perhaps before the bounce of he ball at each quarter (also behind the goals during opposition set shots and after our goals but let that happen naturally rather than push too many things at once). Get current and past players and Millsy to feature in adds/videos building this up and produce all 3 of our colours and include in members packs and sell at games. If this for example was implemented, in the marketing adds, feature this happening around adelaide oval so the concept is introduced early without people realising.
Despite what some posters think of the concept, the 19th man initiative seems to going from strength to strength. I see no reason why this couldn't be used as a powerful marketing tool especially on game day. Those yellow T-shirts in the Eddy Betts pocket was a great idea but started to peter out due to lack of continuing encouragement or support. I know a couple of years ago at Football park, the club handed out hundreds of Crows flags. Unfortunately, that initiative seemed to be badly conceived and badly supported and most of those flags were never seen again. But a concerted and well orchestrated plan to enhance the game day experience, such as scarf waving, chanting etc., would be awesome.

Despite what some posters think of the concept, the 19th man initiative seems to going from strength to strength. I see no reason why this couldn't be used as a powerful marketing tool especially on game day. Those yellow T-shirts in the Eddy Betts pocket was a great idea but started to peter out due to lack of continuing encouragement or support. I know a couple of years ago at Football park, the club handed out hundreds of Crows flags. Unfortunately, that initiative seemed to be badly conceived and badly supported and most of those flags were never seen again. But a concerted and well orchestrated plan to enhance the game day experience, such as scarf waving, chanting etc., would be awesome.
I have no problem with the 19th man. Nothing i posted above was meant to show that.

I think the 19th man is in place, they call us the 19th man whenever possible so the tile is already known enough- Developing strong game day routines/cultures is what is going to make it take off. Focus less on pushing the idea of the 19th man and more on something the 19th man can hang their hat on and be proud of and thats how it will suddenly start to work. e.g. the towel waving- make that work and people know about the 19th man so it will be spoken about as something the 19th man does.

Remove this Banner Ad

What the supporters want - A message to Andrew Fagan

Remove this Banner Ad

Back