What the supporters want - A message to Andrew Fagan

Remove this Banner Ad

NO MORE CHANT NIGHTS.
The club really stuffed up the chant thing. Terrible idea but if implemented properly would have had some chance of taking off, and not needed "a night" to do so. Meaningless, more complex chants have no hope!

The Eddie chant has been great when it has happened (as most great things it is a natural thing). Apart from being natural it works because it is simple (it still took someone to start it and make others follow).

You Crows has the same potential and would sound great ringing around a full stadium.

Tex Tex Tex is the other one mentioned before that i'd like to see done. The short repeated sound would have great impact.

Rory, Danager, Smithers, etc could all work just the same as Eddie.

If the club had have stuck with encouraging chanting these names after acts of greatness and youuuu crows as the generic one it would have actually had a chance to take off with real impact

+1 on the Premiership

Nothing else matters............

tumblr_lhrc6eHxvd1qf4sef.jpg

Outsource the marketing department or fire everyone and start again.

- Everything is targetted at children at the expense of alienating anyone in the 18-45 range.

- The national anthem/opera version of our club song was the most cringeworthy, disgusting moment in my life as a Crows supporter.

- Our merchandise is terrible. I want to buy Crows merchandise but there is literally nothing I want. I can't even buy the SANFL guernsey.

- 60 second countdown is garbage, not even close to the mark compared to Ports

- The logo has 200+ colours in it due to the shading/gradients. Keep it simple like the best logos in the world.

- If we play in a grand final we will probably be wearing the away guernsey. Please make it appealing to adults.

Last edited:
Best thing he can do is rid the club of the culture of laziness and complacency that has dogged us since 2008/2009. We need to be more like Sloane/Talia (hardworking, honest and no more bullshit excuses) and build a culture that good football people will want to becone/remain a part of.

That should extend from the coaches box, to the fitness staff, the marketing department and most importantly the playing group.

Sorting out the training facility/post game function area should be high on his list too.

Dominance and Premierships.

And a strong logo that makes people think of dominance and premierships.

And a strong clash guernsey to wear whilst dominating and winning premierships.

How would people adopting our monogram as our logo (the one on the club champion jacket). Is traditional. No reason why we can't have two logos, like the Yankees.

Yankees_logo.png

yankees-logo2.jpg

The club really stuffed up the chant thing. Terrible idea but if implemented properly would have had some chance of taking off, and not needed "a night" to do so. Meaningless, more complex chants have no hope!

The Eddie chant has been great when it has happened (as most great things it is a natural thing). Apart from being natural it works because it is simple (it still took someone to start it and make others follow).

You Crows has the same potential and would sound great ringing around a full stadium.

Tex Tex Tex is the other one mentioned before that i'd like to see done. The short repeated sound would have great impact.

Rory, Danager, Smithers, etc could all work just the same as Eddie.

If the club had have stuck with encouraging chanting these names after acts of greatness and youuuu crows as the generic one it would have actually had a chance to take off with real impact
The "you crows" chant is the most lame thing I've ever heard. Sat in different seats in Rd 23 and cringed all day as a bunch of bogans belted out that shitty chant all day.

The "you crows" chant is the most lame thing I've ever heard. Sat in different seats in Rd 23 and cringed all day as a bunch of bogans belted out that shitty chant all day.

I beg to differ as when you have a large number chanting it together it resonates well, just like the long "eeeeddddiiiiieeee" one does. Those type of chants are the best for AFL grounds as time has proven. Just listen to the Purple Haze get started on the Freo one or in the SANFL at a Grand Final when the Centrals chant starts up. Loud and easy to understand and join in. Those are the types of chants that work and can be heard all around the ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I beg to differ as when you have a large number chanting it together it resonates well, just like the long "eeeeddddiiiiieeee" one does. Those type of chants are the best for AFL grounds as time has proven. Just listen to the Purple Haze get started on the Freo one or in the SANFL at a Grand Final when the Centrals chant starts up. Loud and easy to understand and join in. Those are the types of chants that work and can be heard all around the ground.

Yeah I sat in the outer at footy park a fee years back when Glenelg played Centrals. Their chant of "you dogs" was very annoying at the time, especially as Glenelg was losing..but it was also highly effective at taking over the stadium.

I've always hated it but now I can imagine 50 000 crows fans winding it up..it can be a pretty intimidating sound

I'm aware that all of what I'm about to suggest is a lot to ask. But really, we're the biggest club in the equal second biggest football city in Australia. Our membership and support levels are among the top echelon in the AFL. With that in mind, I'd like us to primarily stop settling for mediocrity like we have.

- Harsh reviews every year on all members of the coaching staff. Make each individual assistant accountable for that area on the field, and if it's not performing, they need to explain (and be accountable) why that's the case and why it'd still be the case if they were replaced. I'd start off by applying some serious scrutiny to the jobs Camporeale and Bickley have done.

- Completely overhaul the marketing department. I don't know if it's the personnel in it or the edict they're given from above, but the marketing output from the club has been sub par for too long. It's a disgrace that Port have a far, far better presence in every regard than us.

- Be more accountable to the supporters. Without the supporters the club wouldn't exist. Players, coaches and administrations can be replaced. Supporters can't. We take serious pride in this club. We accept that failure will happen, but when we're expected to just cop it on the chin and get over it as previous administrations have expected of us it's just not good. Be as open and transparent as possible without jeopardising anything business related

- Fill our football department with the best people. Facilities are good but experienced and skilled staff are better.

- Get rid of Chapman. The only good move the bloke has made is hiring you. He's been a cancer on our club for too long.

- We're a smaller club than Collingwood but looking at the numbers, not by much. Why is it that Eddie has so much influence over the AFL (mostly self serving) while we seem to have none? Surely we can have more influence over the state of the game - both us and Port, actually

- Patrick Mills is one of the highest profile Australian sportsmen around and a fan of the club. If possible, utilise him more than we already do.

- For nearly all of our history, our jumper has been navy at the top with red, yellow and navy hoops from the below the logos and yellow trims. It has always been that simple, with navy and white shorts for home/away. Please ensure it's kept that way, and if at all possible we get to wear that most weeks. Some of our clash jumpers have been eyesores that don't have any link to the historical colours of our club.

- Target high profile players. Water has gone under the bridge and for all we know it might be too late to retain Dangerfield et al. If we lose him, it's not your fault, we get that. But at the very least ensure the club is active in finding a high profile replacement - whether that be Jeremy Cameron or not. Even if Danger re-signs - we should be targeting the best players possible.

How would people adopting our monogram as our logo (the one on the club champion jacket). Is traditional. No reason why we can't have two logos

Don't mind this idea, AFC as a logo on merchandise would work. Would still need a picture of a crow on other stuff but yes why not both

Yeah I sat in the outer at footy park a fee years back when Glenelg played Centrals. Their chant of "you dogs" was very annoying at the time, especially as Glenelg was losing..but it was also highly effective at taking over the stadium.

I've always hated it but now I can imagine 50 000 crows fans winding it up..it can be a pretty intimidating sound
thats the key

i agree when theres 20 or 30 blokes doing it then it sounds pretty lame as it has no effect.

Even if it wasn't Youu Crows then even AAA-dee-Laaaaide would work in the same fashion (although the deeper tone in the you crows probably sounds more effective)

I think its better than the adelaide clap clap clap we have always had (although didn't seem to hear as much of this year)

+1 on the Premiership

Nothing else matters............
I agree, not really a fan of the thread in general for that reason.

But while we're here, I'm watching his presser right now and we're still waiting for microphones for the press so we hear the bloody questions.

thats the key

i agree when theres 20 or 30 blokes doing it then it sounds pretty lame as it has no effect.

Even if it wasn't Youu Crows then even AAA-dee-Laaaaide would work in the same fashion (although the deeper tone in the you crows probably sounds more effective)

I think its better than the adelaide clap clap clap we have always had (although didn't seem to hear as much of this year)

Could you imagine it in a showdown drowning out Pow-er clap clap clap?

Turn the 19th man into an intimidating force

Never tear us apart? We won't..we'll just tear 'em a new one..

How would people adopting our monogram as our logo (the one on the club champion jacket).

I said this in the apparel thread. I would choose the 3 hoop design that has the monogram on it. Then it would be introducing that as an alternate logo which is we maintained that as a long term jumper would become ingrained in our history.

It is then a great simple logo that can be used on more "street" style merch. A cap with that on it would be more appealing than one with the crow head.

I'm aware that all of what I'm about to suggest is a lot to ask. But really, we're the biggest club in the equal second biggest football city in Australia. Our membership and support levels are among the top echelon in the AFL. With that in mind, I'd like us to primarily stop settling for mediocrity like we have.

- Harsh reviews every year on all members of the coaching staff. Make each individual assistant accountable for that area on the field, and if it's not performing, they need to explain (and be accountable) why that's the case and why it'd still be the case if they were replaced. I'd start off by applying some serious scrutiny to the jobs Camporeale and Bickley have done.

- Completely overhaul the marketing department. I don't know if it's the personnel in it or the edict they're given from above, but the marketing output from the club has been sub par for too long. It's a disgrace that Port have a far, far better presence in every regard than us.

- Be more accountable to the supporters. Without the supporters the club wouldn't exist. Players, coaches and administrations can be replaced. Supporters can't. We take serious pride in this club. We accept that failure will happen, but when we're expected to just cop it on the chin and get over it as previous administrations have expected of us it's just not good. Be as open and transparent as possible without jeopardising anything business related

- Fill our football department with the best people. Facilities are good but experienced and skilled staff are better.

- Get rid of Chapman. The only good move the bloke has made is hiring you. He's been a cancer on our club for too long.

- We're a smaller club than Collingwood but looking at the numbers, not by much. Why is it that Eddie has so much influence over the AFL (mostly self serving) while we seem to have none? Surely we can have more influence over the state of the game - both us and Port, actually

- Patrick Mills is one of the highest profile Australian sportsmen around and a fan of the club. If possible, utilise him more than we already do.

- For nearly all of our history, our jumper has been navy at the top with red, yellow and navy hoops from the below the logos and yellow trims. It has always been that simple, with navy and white shorts for home/away. Please ensure it's kept that way, and if at all possible we get to wear that most weeks. Some of our clash jumpers have been eyesores that don't have any link to the historical colours of our club.

- Target high profile players. Water has gone under the bridge and for all we know it might be too late to retain Dangerfield et al. If we lose him, it's not your fault, we get that. But at the very least ensure the club is active in finding a high profile replacement - whether that be Jeremy Cameron or not. Even if Danger re-signs - we should be targeting the best players possible.

Great post.

I've got chappos email, maybe we should take a stab at Fagans and forward all the good points listed in here... or just the link.

Adelaide *clap clap clap* is just something I've never been able to get into -

I make a lot of noise at the footy - I yell, I clap, I cheer on Adelaide players, I chastise underperforming players (from both sides), and when I do hear Adelaide fans in the area start the 'Adelaide *clap clap clap*, I have an overwhelming feeling that I want to join in with it... but for some reason I just can't get into that -

It's not as if I have an issue with being loud and vocal - I don't get embarrassed - but yeh.. the clap clap clap doesn't do it for me...

A Ceeeentraaaaal -type chant would be something I think I would prefer way more...

whether that be Aaaaadddeeeelaaaiiide, or Yooooouuuu Croooowws, or something else, I'm not sure

Great post.

I've got chappos email, maybe we should take a stab at Fagans and forward all the good points listed in here... or just the link.
wonder if he would have an email yet since he doesn't officially start for 2 weeks. I guess if it doesn't bounce back then you'd assume it is up and running

Adelaide *clap clap clap* is just something I've never been able to get into -

I make a lot of noise at the footy - I yell, I clap, I cheer on Adelaide players, I chastise underperforming players (from both sides), and when I do hear Adelaide fans in the area start the 'Adelaide *clap clap clap*, I have an overwhelming feeling that I want to join in with it... but for some reason I just can't get into that -

It's not as if I have an issue with being loud and vocal - I don't get embarrassed - but yeh.. the clap clap clap doesn't do it for me...

A Ceeeentraaaaal -type chant would be something I think I would prefer way more...

whether that be Aaaaadddeeeelaaaiiide, or Yooooouuuu Croooowws, or something else, I'm not sure
At the crows v pies prelim years back there was a "Lets Go Adelaide Lets Go" chant around me. Now thats one I couldn't get into but unlike your reasoning I'm pretty sure it WAS because of embarrassment

Remove this Banner Ad

What the supporters want - A message to Andrew Fagan

Remove this Banner Ad

Back