What to do with Sandi? (4 week injury)

Trade or keep Sandi?

• Keep

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Trade

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Zac Smith has scored 106 and 103 in his last two games, logically he is going to step into my team. Trading Sandi would be a huge waste.

If Smith can average 100+ for the rest of the year, it would be even more reason to trade out Sandi and upgrade the rest of your side with the $$$ especially since Smith doesn't have any more byes. Food for thought. ;)

Keplar in and some real upside now.

In all seriousness, if you have Smith or Tippett/Petrie you'd be silly not too especially if you've burnt through trades like most of us have.

Obviously you keep him. He pretty much needs to be in every team come the run home and finals. Zac Smith has been more than good enough to be trusted for four weeks.

I didn't start with Sandi, and will be awaiting his return to finally bring him in my squad.
Same here. It is a good thing for my team, as it allows me to touch up other areas and upgrade Leuey in 4 weeks.

I ditched the Forward/Ruck link with Petrie not long before R1 lockout. Thought that Smith would provide adequate cover. It's only 4 weeks, and I'd be happy to have Zac get 80-90 in his place.

This is the sort of injury that will start to separate teams (purely because Sandi is so popular, and the injury is almost on the limit of long-term and thus trading). Will be interesting to see how it pans out in the next few weeks.

Interesting. I think most of the thinking here is very mechanical. Many have not considered the nature of the injury.

I have had big toe problems for the last 2 years and while I don't have turf toe, many symptoms are similar therefore recovery etc is similar. It has also made me very knowledgable about 'turf toe'.

A few points to consider. The usual time to fuly recover from turf toe is a minimum 1 month which is what has been stated. This can however easily blow out to several months and dear I say it is very much like an achilles injury in that the blood doesn't really flow in this area making recovery a slow process.

The biggest problem with turf toe is your inability to jump as any bending of the toe is excruciating. When you equate this to the fact that Sandilands is a ruckman who needs to jump and his sheer size, I would envisage that the minimum 1 month is optimistic. If he does come back in 4 weeks, I would say his ability to jump normally would be severly impeded. Other rucks would just need to stay off him, run and jump and there is little chance of him having the same elevation.

Food for thought!

Interesting. I think most of the thinking here is very mechanical. Many have not considered the nature of the injury.

I have had big toe problems for the last 2 years and while I don't have turf toe, many symptoms are similar therefore recovery etc is similar. It has also made me very knowledgable about 'turf toe'.

A few points to consider. The usual time to fuly recover from turf toe is a minimum 1 month which is what has been stated. This can however easily blow out to several months and dear I say it is very much like an achilles injury in that the blood doesn't really flow in this area making recovery a slow process.

The biggest problem with turf toe is your inability to jump as any bending of the toe is excruciating. When you equate this to the fact that Sandilands is a ruckman who needs to jump and his sheer size, I would envisage that the minimum 1 month is optimistic. If he does come back in 4 weeks, I would say his ability to jump normally would be severly impeded. Other rucks would just need to stay off him, run and jump and there is little chance of him having the same elevation.

Food for thought!

Just stick the big man in the hyperbaric chamber and he will be back in 3-4 weeks easily

Only once has Sandilands played all 22 games in a season, he is reasonably durable but is certainly prone to missing a few games.

Given how important he is to Fremantle he will most likely be managed for the rest of the home and away season. I base this on Fremantle learning from last years mistake of burning him into the ground.

Some people have been talking about upgrading Petrie (this is insanity). Despite Petrie missing most of the 2010 season, he has a far more durable history than most players. Between 2003 and 2009 (inclusive) he only missed 2 games. He has also shown that he is back in form and scoring to his DT potential (maybe even with a slight improvement).

It is a tough decision for coaches who hold the Sandman, I would be inclined to move him on.

Disclaimer: I don't have Sandilands.

This is a big problem and there is many aspects to look at, the nature of the injury basically implies that the big man will need to keep pressure of that toe for the best part of a month, will he still be able to swim? what will this do to his fitness base? Will they ease him back into the team by keeping Griffen in the team to lower his workload for the first 2,3,4? weeks he's back. Freo have a bye in rd 16, if his injury stretches to 5 weeks (could happen) then he misses 6 of the next 7 rounds, or they may just decide to wait til after the bye to brong him back if they and Griffen are doing ok. Leaving you with just 7 rounds left for the year and if Freo are on track for the finals will be slowly built back into his role so he's fit for finals. His scoring may well decrease below a Goldstein/Mumford level or even Z. smith/Petrie level, you could free up 300k+ by downgrading him, then using that cash to finish off your lines. Then if he's killing it when he comes back it wouldn't cost you much to trade him in for a Smith or Petrie. The only downside is the 1-2 trades you use, but if you've been relatively consistent with trades then using this cash elsewhere for the next 7 weeks is I think the best use of it.

JMTC

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly. That's what he's there for. If you've got a guy who's scoring 80ish on your ruck bench, then use him!

^ This! :thumbsu: Zac Smith is a DT stud in the making. I can honestly see him averaging 80+ by the end of the year & 90+ next season. He'll be 330-350k at the end of this year (bookmark it!) and people will be selecting him as their second ruck next year. He's only going to get better (injury permitting)

When Sandi does come back this year, Smith still might be the better ruck option, expecially if he's pumping out 80+ scores and Sandi is being eased back into it...

^ This! :thumbsu: Zac Smith is a DT stud in the making. I can honestly see him averaging 80+ by the end of the year & 90+ next season. He'll be 330-350k at the end of this year (bookmark it!) and people will be selecting him as their second ruck next year. He's only going to get better (injury permitting)

When Sandi does come back this year, Smith still might be the better ruck option, expecially if he's pumping out 80+ scores and Sandi is being eased back into it...

Then what is your justification to have $400k sitting on your bench for at least 5 games and probaly more. Surely the money made from the trade could be invested wisely to upgrade to premiums.

Then what is your justification to have $400k sitting on your bench for at least 5 games and probaly more. Surely the money made from the trade could be invested wisely to upgrade to premiums.

I have 6 premuims in the mids, 7 in the forwards and enough cash in the bank to upgrade my backs to 7 premiums, without having to trade out 211. :)

easy decision if you have Zac Smith, hold him, because you know you'll want him come the end and you dont want to waste 2 trades, especially considering he still scored a 90 and wont hardly drop in price.

Because you'll be ****ing up your team for the other 9 weeks trying to bring Sandi back in.

I have 6 premuims in the mids, 7 in the forwards and enough cash in the bank to upgrade my backs to 7 premiums, without having to trade out 211. :)

If you have $300k in the bank to upgrade your three rookie backs then you are well placed. I unfortunately don't have the cash and am seriously considering the Sandi trade so I can upgrade my rookie backs.

I'll hold Sandi and play Smith, and if something happens to Smith, trade in Tippet a bit earlier by then trading Smith, then DP in Petrie and all is good....

Unless Sandi isn't back by the bye....but can't really see this all happening.

Because you'll be ****ing up your team for the other 9 weeks trying to bring Sandi back in.

The risk is there to trade him out but how certain are you that Sandi will be back in 4 weeks and how will he perform upon return.

Been caught before with the 2 week injury that becames 5 weeks and regret not pulling the trigger early.

The risk is there to trade him out but how certain are you that Sandi will be back in 4 weeks and how will he perform upon return.

Been caught before with the 2 week injury that becames 5 weeks and regret not pulling the trigger early.

It's pretty much the whole point of the thread, Dogs54. No one really knows if it will be 4 weeks or 8+ with decreased scoring after that.

Personally If I had 15+ trades left, I would trade him out then bring him back in for ZSmith for the finals, but like most, I've burnt too many trades to have that luxury.

It's pretty much the whole point of the thread, Dogs54. No one really knows if it will be 4 weeks or 8+ with decreased scoring after that.

Personally If I had 15+ trades left, I would trade him out then bring him back in for ZSmith for the finals, but like most, I've burnt too many trades to have that luxury.

I have 17 trades in position 1938 overall and think it is worth strong consideration. I hate the uncertainty of waiting for someone like Sandi to return. For me if I trade I have certainty to upgrade three rookies and my team then only needs one more trade to be complete.

What to do with Sandi? (4 week injury)

Back