Opinion What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

My unpopular opinion was that BT was right, at 3 quarter time it was 30 and I was (at the ground) saying to my mate, kick the next 2 and you're right back in it. BT smashed for saying the same thing. Collingwood can score very quickly with their game plan.
Collingwood definitely have the game plan to do it, and we know Brisbane are capable of choking a 6 goal lead.

BT just became obsessed with it, like it was guaranteed despite Brisbane looking pretty comfortable for that last qtr.

Collingwood definitely have the game plan to do it, and we know Brisbane are capable of choking a 6 goal lead.

BT just became obsessed with it, like it was guaranteed despite Brisbane looking pretty comfortable for that last qtr.

It was annoying, but I didn’t read it as biased from BT, I thought it was more so that he’d been asked to hype the game up to keep people engaged, I think if the scores were flipped he’d be doing the same thing.

It was annoying, but I didn’t read it as biased from BT, I thought it was more so that he’d been asked to hype the game up to keep people engaged, I think if the scores were flipped he’d be doing the same thing.
Bruce McAveney used to do the same thing.

Unpopular opinion : Port power players are still playing for ken and want him to stay and it's only their supporters that don't.
I'd say that's probably true.

A lot of them might think a new coach will throw them on the scrap heap

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Afl / Fox would have to have reasonably strong "viewer leakage" stats you'd think these days?

I didn't hear BT's comments because I'd already flicked the channel

My unpopular opinion was that BT was right, at 3 quarter time it was 30 and I was (at the ground) saying to my mate, kick the next 2 and you're right back in it. BT smashed for saying the same thing. Collingwood can score very quickly with their game plan.
I don't think its just that he said it, its that he continuously said it the whole last quarter when the margin dipped below 30 points just twice. Just about every commentator does it to some degree but BT was just way too over the top with it for a continued period of time.

Also definitely not a bias thing just a footy broadcaster thing.

BT is guilty of doing his job and trying to keep people interested in a game that looks done and dusted early. He does it all the time, as do his colleagues, which is exactly what they are paid to do.

TV Commentators referring to stats such as “the Tigers haven’t scored for 23 minutes”, as if people at home watching actually have a ‘count up’ clock at their disposal.

If the Tigers scored with 18:30 on the ‘count down’ clock, and there’s now 2:30 remaining, then it’s “16 minutes since the Tigers last scored”.

If TV commentators are going to include time when the ball is not even in play as “time since …” then they may as well also include quarter/half time breaks.

So using their logic, if the Tigers last scored at 2:30pm (near the end of the 1st quarter) and it’s now 3:45pm (early in the 3rd) then “it’s 75 minutes since the Tigers last scored”.

Just use game time, ya numpties. Real time is no meaning when the game clock stops so often and so much. Same in basketball.

Last edited:
A free kick reversal should result in a ball up. The 2 free kicks should cancel each other out. It’s too harsh of a penalty for the second infringement. Not only do you lose your free kick but the opposition get one. It’s a 2 free kick swing for only a single free kick offence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BT is guilty of doing his job and trying to keep people interested in a game that looks done and dusted early. He does it all the time, as do his colleagues, which is exactly what they are paid to do.

Couldn't disagree more.

Footy fans aren't stupid, they actually know when a game is over and when a team is on fire. Having morons like Taylor insult the intelligence of fans by pretending Brisbane didn't kick 10 goals in a row is the opposite of what they should be paid to do.

What they should be paid to do is impartially call the game, maybe mention how incredible Brisbane were, maybe mention that Collingwood were a slim chance but in reality Brisbane were playing too well, and it was a good reality check for Collingwood. All true, all obvious, none over the top. No mindless cheerleading required either.

Tanking should be openly allowed

If a team is willing to be s**t for several years and suffer poor crowds, loss of morale etc to get picks then that’s a trade off that shouldn’t be frowned upon
Tanking is a friendly term for match fixing

If a team is willing to be s**t for several years and suffer poor crowds, loss of morale etc to get picks then that’s a trade off that shouldn’t be frowned upon
Terrible call, competition would become a farce. How would you decide who gets the double up games against the tankers? No one wants to watch a game where one team is actively trying to not win.

Who is getting double ups v North, Hawks and West Coast this year?
Yeah I was more thinking along the lines of if a team was openly tanking. As in, they came out and said we want to finish around the bottom and get a good draft pick. Maybe they're already doing it, but if they actually came out and said it that's another story.

No, because inevitably the AFL will flinch and bail them out with priority picks or financial assistance.

TV Commentators referring to stats such as “the Tigers haven’t scored for 23 minutes”, as if people at home watching actually have a ‘count up’ clock at their disposal.

If the Tigers scored with 18:30 on the ‘count down’ clock, and there’s now 2:30 remaining, then it’s “16 minutes since the Bulldogs last scored”.

If TV commentators are going to include time when the ball is not even in play as “time since …” then they may as well also include quarter/half time breaks.

So using their logic, if the Tigers last scored at 2:30pm (near the end of the 1st quarter) and it’s now 3:45pm (early in the 3rd) then “it’s 75 minutes since the Tigers last scored”.

Just use game time, ya numpties. Real time is no meaning when the game clock stops so often and so much. Same in basketball.
Round 1 should've been

"insert team" haven't Scored a goal for 184days" or whatever

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ed Zachery. - and at the risk of repeating myself, the main objective at the top of duty statements for ALL sports commentators is 'promote contest!'.

A classic example was the first game of the year (Tigers v Blues) whereas, despite the pre-game media speculation that this would be a 'high-scoring free flowing contest' it was actually borderline unwatchable with constant fumbles, miskicks and turnovers resulting in just 4 goals to 2 at half time - yet BT still promoted this as an 'engrossing contest'....:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back