Opinion What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

My pet hate in football is when a player kicks the ball 50 metres into the forward zone, and a defender marks unattended. Surely someone could read the flight of the ball and enable themselves to at least compete for the mark. It frustrates the hell out of me.
"KICK IT LOOOONG!"

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

The current Law 18.10(b) in the 2021 version of the Laws of Australian Football is being too rigorously applied. It has also become a “crowd rule” where umpires are too readily swayed by the crowd.

The official wording of the law is:
18.10 A field Umpire shall award a Free Kick against a Player who:...
  • (b) Kicks, Handballs or forces the football over the Boundary Line and does not demonstrate sufficient intent to keep the football in play
Given that umpires are not mind readers, how do they know what a players intent is. This is a stupid rule.

IMG_6701.jpeg

9 score involvements all when the game was on the line only second to Josh Kelly.
One goal assist, which was a miskick scrubbed along the ground, cleaned up by Lloyd before a beautiful snap around his body from about 40 metres out. I watched the game - no way was Toby in GWS's best 8 players on the day, even when the game was on the line.

Anyway, I'm being confused with someone who doesn't appreciate Toby or doesn't like watching him play (other teams besides my own :)). That is not my intention, he's an absolute jet.

But people get a bit carried away at times and defend him instinctively and unconditionally, which can be as bad as those people who criticise him incessantly, and there's a few of those.

I want Greene to take this finals series by the scruff of the neck and tear some oppo teams apart. He's let his team down in some finals in the past and I want to see him go next level. He turns 30 in a couple of weeks, so time is running out.

The current Law 18.10(b) in the 2021 version of the Laws of Australian Football is being too rigorously applied. It has also become a “crowd rule” where umpires are too readily swayed by the crowd.

The official wording of the law is:
18.10 A field Umpire shall award a Free Kick against a Player who:...
  • (b) Kicks, Handballs or forces the football over the Boundary Line and does not demonstrate sufficient intent to keep the football in play
Given that umpires are not mind readers, how do they know what a players intent is. This is a stupid rule.

View attachment 1800153
I've always said that the best way to adjudicate deliberate OOB is for the umpire to ask himself would that player have kicked, punched or run the football to that spot if the boundary line wasn't there?

If the answer is 'yes', then it's not deliberate.

If the answer is 'no', then it is deliberate.

It is a simple decision when viewed in this way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One goal assist, which was a miskick scrubbed along the ground, cleaned up by Lloyd before a beautiful snap around his body from about 40 metres out. I watched the game - no way was Toby in GWS's best 8 players on the day, even when the game was on the line.

Anyway, I'm being confused with someone who doesn't appreciate Toby or doesn't like watching him play (other teams besides my own :)). That is not my intention, he's an absolute jet.

But people get a bit carried away at times and defend him instinctively and unconditionally, which can be as bad as those people who criticise him incessantly, and there's a few of those.

I want Greene to take this finals series by the scruff of the neck and tear some oppo teams apart. He's let his team down in some finals in the past and I want to see him go next level. He turns 30 in a couple of weeks, so time is running out.
When it mattered he definitley was one of the most influential players, 9 score involvments equal too and better than dustys ammmmmmmmmazing grand finals.

My pet hate in football is when a player kicks the ball 50 metres into the forward zone, and a defender marks unattended. Surely someone could read the flight of the ball and enable themselves to at least compete for the mark. It frustrates the hell out of me.

Also can’t work out why teams aren’t aware right at a stoppage where the defenders are and numbers of defenders v forwards - they will have a 7 on 4 situation and still bomb it long and then have to hope their defence can sort it out.

The best teams use more handballs initially to get a clear kick that can go to a forward. Or they do a Richmond style take out the mark by making sure it bounces or is hard to mark. Other clubs just bomb it to the likes of Moore, Sicily and Andrews who take a chest mark and it gets called an intercept

If you're not watching what other defenders are doing to impede a forward's progress to the drop off the ball then I don't know what to tell you. The blocking free to me is one of the most confusing ones out there based on how they pay/don't pay them.

For some unknown reason he is more partial to the dees than any club aoart ftom the Roos. Seems to even know all if their names and backstories.

Not so much for other teams
Helps when his nephew plays for them.
Yeah pretty much cos Gus plays for us.

I haven't watched too many Freo games but he could be the same for them

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back