What was the turning point of the second day of the first test?

• Hayden's dismissal

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • England holding their catches

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • the Trescothick-Butcher partnership

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

dr nick

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2002
Dee Why, NSW
AFL Club
Sydney
Day 2

040180.jpg

Re: Re: Day 2

Originally posted by Brett Li

Actually, I would say the way Vaughan started the innings. We haven't had an attacking opening partnership like this for as long as I can remember and to my mind, it makes for a successful team. Off the top of my head all the great teams have had good attacking openers....

Haynes & Greenidge
Hayden & Langer
Boycott & Tavare :)D )

i was tossing up what to put for the 3rd option.

"Vaughan taking the attack to McGrath" or "England holding their catches"

for mine, these were the top 3 turning points IMO, so i stuck to these.

Re: Re: Day 2

Originally posted by Brett Li

Off the top of my head all the great teams have had good attacking openers....

Boycott & Tavare :)D )

Boycott??? He would have a negative strike rate if that was possible, possibly the slowest batsmen i have ever seen!

Re: Re: Re: Day 2

Originally posted by davers11

Boycott??? He would have a negative strike rate if that was possible, possibly the slowest batsmen i have ever seen!

i think its a gee up.. Tavare LOL

i remember seeing a photo of a banner from a frustrated aussie

"slow play, go away tavare"

I think Steve Waugh really struggled and will be lucky to survive the series. He was turning his back and getting hit by short pitched balls from Craig White for heaven's sake. PLAY A FEW PULL SHOT'S STEVE OR GET THE HELL OUT OF THERE!!

This might sound harsh just coming off a century against Pakistan but it was a Shoaib-less attack and a second rate at that.

I actually think Martyn's struggles today also set the tone for the day's play. That and Gilchrist's missed stumping really hurt because Butcher seems to have a nasty habit of making runs against us on occassion.

I would generally agree with Oh_My_Hat's sentiments.

I don't think there was any particular turning point during the day as, apart from Warne's efforts with bat and ball, Australia were very ordinary.

I posted last night that I thought Hayden had become increasingly reckless after he'd reached 100, and he was even worse in his brief stay today - he just simply didn't play himself in today and played several rash shots before his dismissal.

If anything, the real turning point was the very stodgy batting of Martyn and Steve Waugh in their mercifully brief partnership together - at one stage four overs went by and only one run was added.. and that was through a no-ball! After that miserable partnership, England were in the ascendancy for the rest of the day.

I didn't see Tugger's innings as in QLD we only get the coverage from 2.30pm as the host city, so I can't comment on whether or nnot he looked woeful, BUT I do know that my heart is heavy with sadness when I think of him retiring!!!! He's just such a decent bloke as well as a great player!!

I almost forgot at which point of the day I suspected that this was a different England team out on the park. When Hoggard piffed the ball back at Hayden after bowling a delivery!

It was a silly thing to do, but that one incident showed more fire in anything on the 1st Day.

Originally posted by wagstaff
If anything, the real turning point was the very stodgy batting of Martyn and Steve Waugh in their mercifully brief partnership together - at one stage four overs went by and only one run was added.. and that was through a no-ball! After that miserable partnership, England were in the ascendancy for the rest of the day.

It's not the first time that's happened in recent times. All due respect to Tugga but you can almost always sense the fall away in momentum that occurs in Aust innings when he comes to the crease these days.

He can still graft out an innings from time to time (which has been an invaluable asset many times over the years) but he is showing his age. The Aus batting is heading more in the "all or nothing/attack is the best form of defense" direction these days ala the mighty windies sides of the 80s and I think it's a good thing.

I really hope Steve retires while he is on top and doesn't have to get shoved, but I think his pride won't allow this to happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back