What would a Dutton Liberal leadership mean for the Liberals and the country?

Remove this Banner Ad

Are people really that concerned about power prices?

I pay more for good internet and it's about 5-10% of rent(depends on season) per month, with no solar or gas. On cost of living increases it's a tiny fraction. Or is energy really that much higher in the eastern states?
Agree. I spent $5K on a solar system here in QLD 3 years ago and have hardly had a bill since.

Are people really that concerned about power prices?

I pay more for good internet and it's about 5-10% of rent(depends on season) per month, with no solar or gas. On cost of living increases it's a tiny fraction. Or is energy really that much higher in the eastern states?

I guess WA not privatising its power grid was smart

So Ontario citizens get much cheaper power than Australians?

Is it because of nuclear, or is it because the power is state owned?

It is because the plant was built and paid for in the 60s/70s/80s.

If Australia was not tied to the international coal and gas price we would have cheap energy as well as we run the old plant into the ground - but we don't.

So using Ontario as Dutton's comparison ignores the tiny little detail that it will cost about a trillion dollars to build the nuclear plant Dutton is taking about, while Ontario payed $716 million for their first nuclear station.

Hardly apples for apples :rolleyes:

And there is still a 15 year gap the Liberals don't want to talk about?

Last edited:
I guess WA not privatising its power grid was smart
Warmer sunnier climate helps
WA and Queensland are the best states for solar, then SA

Has anyone else noticed the soft changes yet, as our media goes to work?

Dutton the brave doing what's needed.
The people who thought they were against it were all actually just being tricked by ALP lies.
The only people who oppose nuclear are green-left scum. You're not greenie lefty scum, are you?
How long until Australian's are demanding answers from Albo! While we get nothing more on the nuclear plan from Dutton?
Australian's are just sick of Labor lies!

Well when it comes to the whole climate debate, I’m afraid almost every prediction these experts have made has come to nought. And then of course you have the whole power bills reducing prediction by Bowen which always was laughable and invariably come to pass.

And of course nuclear would be more expensive as it generates the most energy - wind etc contributes bigger all and most people know this.

Which ‘renewable countries’ are you referring to by the way?
"climate debate" 🤣🤣

1718884965080.gif

It is because the plant was built and paid for in the 60s/70s/80s.

If Australia was not tied to the international coal and gas price we would have cheap energy as well as we run the old plant into the ground - but we don't.

So using Ontario as Dutton's comparison ignores the tiny little detail that it will cost about a trillion dollars to build the nuclear plant Dutton is taking about, while Ontario payed $716 million for their first nuclear station.

Hardly apples for apples :rolleyes:

And there is still a 15 year gap the Liberals don't want to talk about?
Gas companies should be forced to sell the gas to Australians at a restricted rate, not the global market rate. We don't even charge them that much for the pleasure, they basically get given our natural resources on a peppercorn deal and then extort us to provide what belongs to us in the first place! We just get ripped off right to our faces and no one says boo except for the simps who think they're pwning lefties by siding with their oppressors.

You two should try living in the south east of the country
Ok I kinda had a look, a lot of marketing sales sites and not much govt stats but.......

It looks like we pay more for electricity but less for gas, idk peak pricing or something may affect it, households sizes and all that.
I still don't get why it's such a political point when its such a small fraction of the cost of living, I smell a culture war to distract us from the 75% of carbon emissions that don't involve electricity generation tbh

“It seems the options being presented will either lead to extraordinary maintenance bills to keep old coal plants going or using a lot more gas,” he said. “Coal is a very cheap fuel, so if you’re going from a coal-dominated system to a gas-dominated system, you are going to see very steep energy prices.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

...look like it's been written by Homer.

Very generous assessment Gough.

• no costings
  • timelines laughable
  • building nuclear plants on the same sites as coal plants that will apparently still be running as part of the transition 🤣
  • over-ride community objections (or not, Nats confused... as always)

Even Homer Simpson could do better.

Very generous assessment Gough.

• no costings
  • timelines laughable
  • building nuclear plants on the same sites as coal plants that will apparently still be running as part of the transition 🤣
  • over-ride community objections (or not, Nats confused... as always)

Even Homer Simpson could do better.
Far point, perhaps we'd be better off pointing out this policy looks like it's been written by Peter Dutton.

Meanwhile, while debate rages around the lack of policy details for the Coalition's nuclear proposal, including the likely location and cost of nuclear reactors, leading WA Liberal Senator and former Minister Linda Reynolds is focussed on far more important issues - herself...

Screenshot 2024-06-21 at 9.16.28 AM.png

Speaking outside court, Reynolds’ lawyer Martin Bennett said he had filed 17 witness outlines for Reynolds’ defamation trial against Higgins that does not have a firm start date. He said Morrison was among them.

“He’s prepared to give evidence. He’ll be overseas on time so can we do it remotely,” he said.

He said there were five more witness outlines to file, and hinted that WA Liberal senator Michaelia Cash could also be a witness at the trial.

Senator Reynolds has claimed her costly defamation action against rape victim and her former staffer Brittany Higgins is focussed around restoring her damaged reputation from statements made by Higgins and her partner on the Ten's Project program.

Ok I kinda had a look, a lot of marketing sales sites and not much govt stats but.......

It looks like we pay more for electricity but less for gas, idk peak pricing or something may affect it, households sizes and all that.
I still don't get why it's such a political point when its such a small fraction of the cost of living, I smell a culture war to distract us from the 75% of carbon emissions that don't involve electricity generation tbh
Ignoring the Albo promised us $300 crowd

It's an issue because it's for profit and the prices have been going up
Just because you pay stuff all on utilities doesn't mean everyone does

Trying to keep our shit houses warm in winter here is expensive, when utilities double in 12 months but the costs to supply haven't doubled its just price gouging

Trying to keep our shit houses warm in winter here is expensive, when utilities double in 12 months but the costs to supply haven't doubled its just price gouging

It shouldn't be expensive to keep your toilet warm - it's usually the smallest room in the house.

Yep.

And not forgetting that the vast majority of renters - who make up the lion's share of those attempting to survive on lower end incomes - do not have access to lower power bills available for homes with solar panels (many installed with state and commonwealth government subsidies on installation and buy back power rebates).

The housing affordability and availability generational crisis has multiple impacts on the cost of living crisis for Australians.

I think the Libs should give serious consideration for a Fusion Reactor. I would rather spend 60 billion sorting out our energy needs for the rest of time rather than this foolish escapade they have embarked upon.
And if they put one in the sky that could be accessed by all from our rooftops. Just think.

Libs complaining about Simpson's memes should offer up a policy that doesn't look like it's been written by Homer.
This is the dumbest idea of all time by Dutton.

The Liberal Party that has never had a big idea in its existence thinks it can win the election with an insanely stupid idea and then cry crocodile tears when they are ridiculed.

But don't worry everyone - the Liberal Party will save us

Remove this Banner Ad

What would a Dutton Liberal leadership mean for the Liberals and the country?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back