Whatever happened to Jason Cloke?

Remove this Banner Ad

I was just watching the 2003 Prelim against Prt Adelaide....and want to know what happened to Jason Cloke.
He was really highly rated back then and I always thought he was a top 5 player.
Did he just lose the hunger?
Anyone got any answers.

i loved him as a player, i think clubs worked him out and knew he was fairly weak in one on ones. he was very good at reading the play and being third man up or playing the loose man in the backline role. but not overly fast to take the smalls or big and strong enough to take a big guy like j brown

thats just my take on it

people still have the opinion that maxwell will go the same way as j cloke, maxwells. i cant see that though , maxwell is a better version of j cloke.

i still think mm was harsh on j cloke in his last few years, would play him out of his position then just bench him

ive loved watchin all 3 clokeys play

jason_cloke.jpg

He played for the Bendigo Bombers in VFL This year I think

and I think he trained with essendon to

He was one of my favourite players and I was a bit shocked when he got sacked at the end of 2006.

But now looking at our list full of young guns, I sought of know why we got rid of him.

Plus I reckon Mick, completly lost faith in him after the 2003 Grand Final

I thought there must be something going in the background as no other club has even tried to pick him up....am I wrong there or does he have some kind of fatal flaw?

I thought there must be something going in the background as no other club has even tried to pick him up....am I wrong there or does he have some kind of fatal flaw?

Yeah I reckon the same thing, At his age

The fact that not one of the 16 Clubs, have shown any interest at all in him is amazing.

He must have done something, or behind the scenes something must have gone on, cos after like mid 2006.

He was just thrown on the garbage pile

Last year Jason did a preseason with Essendon hoping to get picked up in the PSD however was overlooked. He then stayed with their VFL affiliate Bendigo. I am sure he is hoping that his old coach Knights taking over as senior coach he is a chance of this happening again. By all accounts Jason was very good for Bendigo so if Knights liked what he saw his best chance may be by making it as a Bomber in the national or pre season drafts.

what happened to him?

combination of being a one-trick pony and mick trying to teach him other tricks unsuccessfully, and getting frustrated with him.

It was bad move to play him at cHF in 2003, but instead of bitching and maoning, Clokey shuld have gone out there and done his best.

he was always whinging about playing out of position, instead of just playing the role he was assigned.

Great loose man in defence - not much else. No poise and poor disposal. Very courageous, which was you need filling space ind efence.

His fatal flaw is that when he gets run under the ball the forwards lose him on the double back. In other words, they would lead him under the ball and double back towards goal.

Jason could never overcome this flaw despite extensive coaching (I know this as a fact).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the AFL with the list managment rules and turn over of players now days it really is cut throat for keeping spots on our list. Jason Cloke is a perfect example of what happens to you if you dont have a position of structural importance.

The problem was the other teams started putting men back for him to go one on one with and he couldn't match them. He got lost following the lead, he got out led by the small men and out muscled by the big men.

Essentially Maxwell took Cloke's spot in the best 22 and with Harry O' Brien on the list there was no need for Cloke.

Even if he was to forge a good AFL career after we delisted him it would be of no lose to us because we are hardly calling out for a loose defender. Heath and Maxwell are both very capable in this role, on top of that we have far superrior one on one defenders and hence Cloke was no use to us.

Thanks for the replies.

I am just copying all my old Pies games from Video (which is getting poor quality) to DVD.
I have nearly every televised game from 2001 to the present.

I have had a great week of the school hols....some great games in there.

Cloke was very, very good in most of the 2002, 2003 games. Such a shame he did not go on.
Scotland was also very good.

Thanks for the replies.

I am just copying all my old Pies games from Video (which is getting poor quality) to DVD.
I have nearly every televised game from 2001 to the present.

I have had a great week of the school hols....some great games in there.

Cloke was very, very good in most of the 2002, 2003 games. Such a shame he did not go on.
Scotland was also very good.

Wow!!! I'd love to talk about buying copies of all this with you...

PM me if you are interested in doing extra copies, as long as it doesn't take a ridiculous amount of DVD's I'd be very interested!

After MM played him for the first time at CHF in a side that got smashed out of the middle? Bit harsh if he did. Cloke was not worse than MM that day/week.
This gets said a lot, but in 2004 towards the end of the year Nick Maxwell came into the side and quickly began looking like a more skilled and more versatile version of Jason Cloke. Through 2005, he proved this to be the case, outperforming Cloke almost all of the time.

The emergence of Nick Maxwell has as much, if not more, to do with it as anything.

This gets said a lot, but in 2004 towards the end of the year Nick Maxwell came into the side and quickly began looking like a more skilled and more versatile version of Jason Cloke. Through 2005, he proved this to be the case, outperforming Cloke almost all of the time.

The emergence of Nick Maxwell has as much, if not more, to do with it as anything.
That's true, although I remember Cloke still getting some opportunities and not doing anything with them. His VFL form was good in 2006, but for AFL he wasn't up to it.

Jason cloke killed it in the Vfl for the Bendigo Bombers this year.

He Kicked Goals Played in the backline

Could play as a FF, CHF

Fantastic Player

Wouldnt be suprised if he gets Drafted in PSD

Hopfully he does He desirves another chance at AFL Level

Good Luck to him:thumbsu:

The guy that said he was always nervous after the whole 2002 Prelimary Final suspension is right

after that he always seemed nervous to punch or go in hard

but yeah loved him as a player

and hope he gets picked up in the PSD

Remove this Banner Ad

Whatever happened to Jason Cloke?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back