Whatever happened to Jason Cloke?

Remove this Banner Ad

He would have been a very handy player 15-20 years ago. Brave and tough.
Unfortunately he had no composure with the ball, usually just booting it as far as he could.
Correct decision.

He sounds like he has matured a bit since 2006...a wake-up call perhaps.
Played a bit on the wing. Kicked a few goals (13 I know of) and was in the best for Bendigo most weeks.

VFL Team of the Year and VFL State side.

Knights coached him and rates him.

He sounds like he has matured a bit since 2006...a wake-up call perhaps.
Played a bit on the wing. Kicked a few goals (13 I know of) and was in the best for Bendigo most weeks.

VFL Team of the Year and VFL State side.

Knights coached him and rates him.

He is a decent PSD prospect and now Knights is Bomber's coach maybe he is a big chance? I think he had a raw deal not being picked up last year, if Ben Davies and Cam Cloke found new homes, he should. Be interesting...

For those that are interested:

I wish him all the luck... interesting on him becoming a wingman/forward/tagger.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,22727337%5E19742,00.html

Cloke wants another shot
09 November 2007 Herald Sun
Rebecca Williams

FORMER Magpie defender Jason Cloke constructs houses for a living, but he is also hopeful of rebuilding his AFL career.

0,1658,5742356,00.jpg
The 25-year-old carpenter is making a pitch to return to AFL ranks by entering the national and pre-season drafts.
Cloke spent the year playing for the Bendigo Bombers in the VFL after he was delisted by Collingwood at the end of the 2006 season.
The eldest son of former Collingwood and Richmond ruckman David Cloke says he still has a lot to offer as an AFL player.
"If they want a bloke that can still play AFL footy and that can still step straight into a side and have an impact, then I'm the bloke," Cloke said.
"I am only 25 now. I know I can still play AFL footy, so it would be great to get another opportunity. I'm ready to go and I'll do anything to prove to people that I can still play AFL footy."
Cloke said he'd had casual talks with some clubs, but nothing official yet.
He did his best to keep his hopes of a second AFL chance alive after a strong season for Essendon's VFL affiliate.
He finished runner-up in Bendigo's best-and-fairest after missing just one match at the start of the season through suspension.
Cloke also gave a strong performance in the VFL's win over Western Australia in their state-of-origin clash in May.
Playing as a forward and wingman, Cloke felt his football was rejuvenated under new Essendon coach Matthew Knights at Bendigo.
"He more or less said to me at the start of the year that he didn't want me to play back because he knows I can play down back," Cloke said.
"I played the majority of the year on the wing and up forward and on ball. It was different for me and I enjoyed it.
"I'm not just a centre half-back, where I was seen at AFL level as a back sweeper.
"I have proved in the last 12 months with Knighta, I have played wing, I have played forward, on-ball and tagging roles and done all right.
"I think it was also refreshing not having the stresses of, 'Am I going to be in the side this week or am I going to be dropped?'."
Cloke said he had kept fit since the end of the season in the hope of getting another chance at the top level.
"I have been working full-time and I still keep myself fit," Cloke said.
"You never know if you're going to get a pre-season or if you're going to get redrafted again, so you've got to keep fit.
"Probably the only thing that I haven't been doing is a lot of weights, but I think I do a lot of that at work. I'm up and down ladders all the time, so it keeps you fit."
Cloke, who played 76 games with Collingwood, said he had no ill-feelings towards the Magpies.

If Collingwood picked him up in the draft would he play for Collingwood VFL side or Williamstown??

If Collingwood drafted Jason Cloke I'd imagine he would be too old for rookie list now so he would be Collingwood senior list...

Or they could sign him directly to their VFL side only, that would mean he couldn't play for Collingwood 1's because he wouldn't be on their senior or rookie list.

Williamstown and Collingwood have nothing to do with each other anymore.

Seems he has signed up elsewhere though... he has nominated for both the National and Preseason Drafts though so maybe he has an outclause for if he gets picked up by an AFL club...

If Collingwood picked him up in the draft would he play for Collingwood VFL side or Williamstown??

If any club picks him up, including Collingwood, he'll play for their VFL affiliate which is why I think it's kind of weird that he has already signed with Willy?

Does this imply that no club was keen to take him? Disappointing if that is the fact

No way Malty would pick him up though, I woulda thought Essendon with Knighta would be his best chance

If any club picks him up, including Collingwood, he'll play for their VFL affiliate which is why I think it's kind of weird that he has already signed with Willy?

Does this imply that no club was keen to take him? Disappointing if that is the fact

No way Malty would pick him up though, I woulda thought Essendon with Knighta would be his best chance
Doubt he would want to be picked up by Collingwood

Knights has told him he is looking for younger players

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the recent Herald Sun story about Cloke nominating for the draft he definitely stated he had no hard feelings about Collingwood delisting him.

I think this is leaving the door open.
With all the discussion regarding Wood and how good he could/would be and our need for another tall down back I think he would at least be considered in draft discussions.
Favourably I hope.
His form in the VFL was excellent and he is only 25, with AFL experience and now a few more strings to his bow.

If Collingwood drafted Jason Cloke I'd imagine he would be too old for rookie list now so he would be Collingwood senior list...

Or they could sign him directly to their VFL side only, that would mean he couldn't play for Collingwood 1's because he wouldn't be on their senior or rookie list.

Williamstown and Collingwood have nothing to do with each other anymore.

Seems he has signed up elsewhere though... he has nominated for both the National and Preseason Drafts though so maybe he has an outclause for if he gets picked up by an AFL club...

Thanks Sirlothie,
Cleared that up.

In the recent Herald Sun story about Cloke nominating for the draft he definitely stated he had no hard feelings about Collingwood delisting him.

I think this is leaving the door open.
With all the discussion regarding Wood and how good he could/would be and our need for another tall down back I think he would at least be considered in draft discussions.
Favourably I hope.
His form in the VFL was excellent and he is only 25, with AFL experience and now a few more strings to his bow.
Are you sure you arent Jason Cloke in disguise? Seriously, you have rooted for this guy throughout this thread, but stating he has more strings to his bow is just a joke. If you watched him at Bendigo, he played well because he can handle the pace of VFL. He is not up to AFL standard, too slow and skills are average. I would rather Richards to return - and that says something!
He is just not up to it

I certainly have "rooted" for him as I think he was a very good player on his day. You can't really dispute that. In 2002/2003 he was one of Collingwoods key players. Fair enough things did not go too well from then on but hey we've stuck with worse players over the decades.

When I say he has added a few strings to his bow I am refering to the fact that he played mainly on the wing and forward for Bendigo, kicking his fair share of goals to boot. Other things have changed too. The Collingwood team dynamic is different now, even since 2006 and Jason Cloke is a year older and wiser having been forced to play on in the VFL. I reckon he knows if he is picked up by an AFL club it will be his last chance and will do his best to reward such a club accordingly.

I am not going to apologise for the fact that I would very much like to see him back in Magpies colours...whether it is for the AFL or VFL side.

Collingwood could do far worse than pick him up in the draft and give him another shot, and who knows he might just surprise and fullfill the promise he showed in 2002/03...he is after all only 25...now wouldn't that be great.

Life is not really about "stats and beep tests" it's about people, people who, no matter what shape, size or demeanor, can always manage to surprise.

There is a hell of a lot to be said for showing a little faith occassionally.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I certainly have "rooted" for him as I think he was a very good player on his day. You can't really dispute that. In 2002/2003 he was one of Collingwoods key players. Fair enough things did not go too well from then on but hey we've stuck with worse players over the decades.

When I say he has added a few strings to his bow I am refering to the fact that he played mainly on the wing and forward for Bendigo, kicking his fair share of goals to boot. Other things have changed too. The Collingwood team dynamic is different now, even since 2006 and Jason Cloke is a year older and wiser having been forced to play on in the VFL. I reckon he knows if he is picked up by an AFL club it will be his last chance and will do his best to reward such a club accordingly.

I am not going to apologise for the fact that I would very much like to see him back in Magpies colours...whether it is for the AFL or VFL side.

Collingwood could do far worse than pick him up in the draft and give him another shot, and who knows he might just surprise and fullfill the promise he showed in 2002/03...he is after all only 25...now wouldn't that be great.

Life is not really about "stats and beep tests" it's about people, people who, no matter what shape, size or demeanor, can always manage to surprise.

There is a hell of a lot to be said for showing a little faith occassionally.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Who would you chop to make way for him?

That is a very good question.
I will have to think about that.

Realistically I don't see Collingwood picking him up but I could see Richmond, Footers-cray or Essendon (now that Knights is coach) giving him a go.

I was just watching the 2003 Prelim against Prt Adelaide....and want to know what happened to Jason Cloke.
He was really highly rated back then and I always thought he was a top 5 player.
Did he just lose the hunger?
Anyone got any answers.

I read in the paper last week that he has been recruited to another VFL club (i.e. from Bendigo) on a 2 year contract. From memory I think it might be Williamstown or Port Melbourne. (But I really am not sure). It is an AFL affiliate and is a back door into playing AFl again

He has made the move as he still believes he might be a chance to get another gig in AFL. Good luck to him too, he was runner up in the club best & fairest this season - so he is trying his heart out

I read in the paper last week that he has been recruited to another VFL club (i.e. from Bendigo). From memory I think it might be Werribee or Port Melbourne. (But I really am not sure)

He has made the move as he still believes he might be a chance to get another gig in AFL. Good luck to him too, he was runner up in the club best & fairest this season - so he is trying his heart out

I found the article:
dogs.jpg
JASON Cloke has found his way into the Bulldogs' back yard, signing a two-year deal with Williamstown.

Cloke, hoping to revive his AFL career via the national or pre-season draft, will play for the Dogs' new VFL affiliate if he doesn't get picked up.
Seagulls coach and Bulldogs development coach Brad Gotch was keen to lure Cloke from the Bendigo Bombers.
Gotch has no doubt the former Magpie could still have something to offer at the higher level.
"I have mentioned to the recruiting guys here (Bulldogs) that he would be a ready-made, solid backman," Gotch said. "It is up to them if they want to have a look at him."
Cloke, 25, was runner-up in Bendigo's best-and-fairest this season.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,22732895-20322,00.html

I found the article:
dogs.jpg
JASON Cloke has found his way into the Bulldogs' back yard, signing a two-year deal with Williamstown.

Cloke, hoping to revive his AFL career via the national or pre-season draft, will play for the Dogs' new VFL affiliate if he doesn't get picked up.
Seagulls coach and Bulldogs development coach Brad Gotch was keen to lure Cloke from the Bendigo Bombers.
Gotch has no doubt the former Magpie could still have something to offer at the higher level.
"I have mentioned to the recruiting guys here (Bulldogs) that he would be a ready-made, solid backman," Gotch said. "It is up to them if they want to have a look at him."
Cloke, 25, was runner-up in Bendigo's best-and-fairest this season.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,22732895-20322,00.html

hope he gets another chance, loved watching him play for the pies

Who would you chop to make way for him?

Ok! I've thought about it.

We don't have to cut anyone.

Cloke has nominated for the draft.
We have two senior spots to fill and two picks.
General consensus is we need an experienced, tall back, fourth/fifth ruck.
Cloke fits the bill. As a bonus he has been playing on the wing and forward a fair bit in the VFL and has been a goal kicker.
He was obviously cut for a reason, but he knows this is his last shot and I would take the chance.
We get the devil you know as opposed to a total unknown.
This leaves us one spot for an established inside mid...who is in the draft.

Ok! I've thought about it.

We don't have to cut anyone.

Cloke has nominated for the draft.
We have two senior spots to fill and two picks.
General consensus is we need an experienced, tall back, fourth/fifth ruck.
Cloke fits the bill. As a bonus he has been playing on the wing and forward a fair bit in the VFL and has been a goal kicker.
He was obviously cut for a reason, but he knows this is his last shot and I would take the chance.
We get the devil you know as opposed to a total unknown.
This leaves us one spot for an established inside mid...who is in the draft.

Heh I admire your loyalty to Jason Cloke who is a decent footballer but if MM couldn't find room for him a couple seasons back he definately couldn't now... Harry O, Goldsack, even Nick Maxwell and H. Shaw have come miles since then, not to mention Marty Clarke, I don't think he is a right combination of speed or height to hold down a KP back spot, he wouldn't crack it for our midfield or forward line position that's for sure and if we did become decimated by injuries I would imagine MM would be more eager to try out John Anthony and Nathan Brown ahead of Cloke...

Having said that I still think he is an ok player, he is definately better than a fair few players on AFL lists as we speak but I'm afraid to say IMO J. Cloke and Collingwood wouldn't mix and therefore I don't think we'd draft him again. Furthermore we wouldn't spend a pick 47 which historically very good players can come out of for a player who is basically going free to anyone who will take him.

I don't mean to burst your bubble or anything, just my opinion and I could be wrong but I would also love to see Jason get the chance to prove himself conclusively as a good AFL footballer as we know he has it in him.

I can picture him slotting in nicely in the Bulldogs speedy backline as a very solid and dependable 3rd tall to cover for the running backs so they might very well have that in mind for him, you couldn't do much better with what's available out there so who knows, fingers crossed he does land somewhere.

Remove this Banner Ad

Whatever happened to Jason Cloke?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back