What's happening in the Bendigo Football League #3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

its true heard it from the man himself , sited family reasons
Yeah, but seriously, where is the local chip wrapper on this??? I broke it for them and they read this...Geez, that Radio Station that is being dictated to by a Community station "3"MATE"BO might even mention it before they do.....:rolleyes:

This is a pretty bright forum. I wanna ask you guys about out media coverage.. The Addy obviously doesnt have any opposition because Bezzo at the Weekly obviously works in delay. Radio was really interesting this year. BO weighed into local games because they were getting whacked by Fresh in ratings etc. Regardless of what you think of Jock Clark and Trav Fitzgibbon, the 3BO team thrown together with one of Fresh guys Zach Harvey (good caller) and Ben Jones (clearly in denial) was almost embarrasing. Do you think BO will persist next year?:confused:

This is a pretty bright forum. I wanna ask you guys about out media coverage.. The Addy obviously doesnt have any opposition because Bezzo at the Weekly obviously works in delay. Radio was really interesting this year. BO weighed into local games because they were getting whacked by Fresh in ratings etc. Regardless of what you think of Jock Clark and Trav Fitzgibbon, the 3BO team thrown together with one of Fresh guys Zach Harvey (good caller) and Ben Jones (clearly in denial) was almost embarrasing. Do you think BO will persist next year?:confused:

From what I heard I think Makeo has a bit of potential as a caller. If he is involved with 3BO's coverage it should be ok

I think you might be coming from the opposition corner Hoops trying to throw a few whacks out. Both radio mobs did a good job some will have their own personal preferences of course. Bit hard on Ben Jones he is pretty polished in the media all round so id have to say your off the mark there.

as someone who has had a litle bit of xperience in the central vic. media scrum i would say hoops definitely has a vested interestnothing wrong with bo coverge. zac and benni work well 2gether and mako throws in useful comments coggo mite be a bit over the top 4 some tastes, but hey it takes all kinds
hoops' mob have some major issues to sort out, not just in benders but in the a.c.t where the whips r cracking, as well

I think you might be coming from the opposition corner Hoops trying to throw a few whacks out. Both radio mobs did a good job some will have their own personal preferences of course. Bit hard on Ben Jones he is pretty polished in the media all round so id have to say your off the mark there.
No bones thrown, just interested in everyones thoughts.
Have done a bit for a few media outlets around town and think we are very lucky to have the coverage we do. :)
I am interested in the fact BO are paid, Fresh are not and the and if its shows up at all.
Press wise, are you happy with ADDY? They do some great things like there pre season magazine, but let themselves down a bit with some ideas pulled straight from the Herald sun, Michelsen form guide (pointless), The last word article(outdated), news breaking (limited). Less said about Bezzo in the weekly the better...

Anyone know what Blair Holmes is doing....Sandhurst maybe??

Not out of the question, but the kid can play so personally I would encourage him to play at a higher level for as long as he can. I believe he will still be connected to Hurst when he's not playing VFL.

Can't report too much until all is signed sealed and delivered, all I will say is recruiting is going very well and very few departures.

Playing group have a great sense of mateship going on, especially after a cracking footy trip. The Dragon's Den is a great place to be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No bones thrown, just interested in everyones thoughts.
Have done a bit for a few media outlets around town and think we are very lucky to have the coverage we do. :)
I am interested in the fact BO are paid, Fresh are not and the and if its shows up at all.
Press wise, are you happy with ADDY? They do some great things like there pre season magazine, but let themselves down a bit with some ideas pulled straight from the Herald sun, Michelsen form guide (pointless), The last word article(outdated), news breaking (limited). Less said about Bezzo in the weekly the better...

I actually think it is poor form when 3BO try and jump in on certain games and finals while Fresh are doing the hard yards all year round and supporting footy each week.

I think the BFL should say you are either in every week with a game each or you don't do it at all.

Biggest problem with Fresh is that half the time you can't pick it up outside of the Bendigo border. And Jock Clark.

As for the addy, I think Bendigo people lose sight of how lucky they are. The coverage the addy gives local footy and cricket might not be what it was in the Richard Jones days but it is still very good.

as someone who has had a litle bit of xperience in the central vic. media scrum i would say hoops definitely has a vested interestnothing wrong with bo coverge. zac and benni work well 2gether and mako throws in useful comments coggo mite be a bit over the top 4 some tastes, but hey it takes all kinds
hoops' mob have some major issues to sort out, not just in benders but in the a.c.t where the whips r cracking, as well
No vested interests 5th qtr. Just a fan of local footy and dont have ties to BO or Fresh or the Addy. Agree with maineman though, as I said, I think we are pretty lucky at the minute with the media.
As for ACT, I am sure that it was in the paper a while back that Fresh, Pheonix and Gospel will all soon have their own permanent licenses. Somebody may confirm..:thumbsu:

Not out of the question, but the kid can play so personally I would encourage him to play at a higher level for as long as he can. I believe he will still be connected to Hurst when he's not playing VFL.

Can't report too much until all is signed sealed and delivered, all I will say is recruiting is going very well and very few departures.

Playing group have a great sense of mateship going on, especially after a cracking footy trip. The Dragon's Den is a great place to be.
Nice Dr, yeah Blair is a jet:thumbsu:

I actually think it is poor form when 3BO try and jump in on certain games and finals while Fresh are doing the hard yards all year round and supporting footy each week.

I think the BFL should say you are either in every week with a game each or you don't do it at all.

Biggest problem with Fresh is that half the time you can't pick it up outside of the Bendigo border. And Jock Clark.

As for the addy, I think Bendigo people lose sight of how lucky they are. The coverage the addy gives local footy and cricket might not be what it was in the Richard Jones days but it is still very good.
That is a very good point about the Fresh Maineman - you do have to be pretty close to Bendigo to pick up their coverage which otherwise is good.

I can remember being disappointed decades ago when 3BO stopped doing local football, then disappointed again when 3CV (Maryborough) stopped some years later. To have someone like the Fresh being there through good times and bad is a big asset to the BFNL.

No vested interests 5th qtr. Just a fan of local footy and dont have ties to BO or Fresh or the Addy. Agree with maineman though, as I said, I think we are pretty lucky at the minute with the media.
As for ACT, I am sure that it was in the paper a while back that Fresh, Pheonix and Gospel will all soon have their own permanent licenses. Somebody may confirm..:thumbsu:

Of course you dont have vested interest Travis!! You came out swinging when someone lipped Jock Clark a while ago saying he was a colleuge of yours and you keep slipping it into 3Bo in numerous ways.

Well done to the 3BO boys if they are getting a few dollars they are obviously making their station money by calling the footy so it makes sense. Also well done to the guys at the Fresh who do it for nothing but you guys obviously realise that will be the case when you get into it, as its a community station. So dont make a song and dance about 3BO covering the footy, competition is healthy so use it to be a motivational tool to keep improving yourself not carrying on slagging the opposition off like a teenager.

Onto more important matters Keiran and the boys are working hard on the recruiting front for us and having Jon Coghlan back in action for a start will be a great bonus for us. It shapes as a pretty red hot year but we're hopeful at Dragonland we can roll with the best if the group continues to develop.

Fresh FM do a reasonable job in calling the footy but I wish they had someone there that knew what he was doing with the 'twiddling of the knobs'. The sound is woeful. Sometimes it sounds like they're broadcasting from a cave, sometimes from outer space doing warp factor nine and sometimes there's no sound at all.
If 3BO broadcast the footy every week (a different game) then Fresh would have to pull up their socks.

Of course you dont have vested interest Travis!! You came out swinging when someone lipped Jock Clark a while ago saying he was a colleuge of yours and you keep slipping it into 3Bo in numerous ways.

Well done to the 3BO boys if they are getting a few dollars they are obviously making their station money by calling the footy so it makes sense. Also well done to the guys at the Fresh who do it for nothing but you guys obviously realise that will be the case when you get into it, as its a community station. So dont make a song and dance about 3BO covering the footy, competition is healthy so use it to be a motivational tool to keep improving yourself not carrying on slagging the opposition off like a teenager.

Onto more important matters Keiran and the boys are working hard on the recruiting front for us and having Jon Coghlan back in action for a start will be a great bonus for us. It shapes as a pretty red hot year but we're hopeful at Dragonland we can roll with the best if the group continues to develop.
I only said he was a coleague and a soft target, I wait tables...
Will be great to see the Coghlan boys suit up together, had heard there was Gold Coast interest in Lee... thoughts?

maineman and flyboy ... ur memorys must b slipping ... 3bo did a whole heap of bfl games in the warmer autumn months
dont u remember those qeo matchs in late april/early may
zach harvey and the gang did quite a few B4 winter arrived

:thumbsu:the key thing here is that the bfl bosses lerve bo ... not polite here to write wot they think of the others :eek:

HAWKS' COUP

Bendigo Advertiser 3/11/2009

EAGLEHAWK’S off-season recruiting spree has netted four more big fish.
Former Bendigo Bombers midfielder Josh Bowe has agreed to terms, while 2008 premiership stars Matt Gretgrix, Josh Ketterer and Tim Hill will rejoin the Hawks after playing in Charlton’s North Central Football League premiership this year.

That quartet joins Damien Lock, Kain Robins and Troy Coates as seven key recruits for the Derrick Filo-coached Borough. “We couldn’t be happier, really,’’ Filo told The Advertiser yesterday. “After this year (lost the elimination final to Kangaroo Flat) we needed to strengthen every line and we’ve managed to do that.

“We’re still speaking to a few more, but at the same time we’re mindful that we want to keep some spots open for the young guys that we played this year.’’ Bowe is a major signing for the Hawks. A proven ball winner, the 22-year-old returns to his junior club after a successful career with the Bendigo Pioneers in the TAC Cup and then the Bendigo Bombers at VFL level.

After kicking eight goals in last year’s grand final, including the matchwinner in the dying seconds, Gretgrix was sorely missed in the goalsquare in 2009. A proven big game performer, he will take the pressure off skipper Brady Herdman.

Ketterer was an unsung hero of last year’s premiership. Fearless, a great tackler and capable of playing a run-with role, Ketterer adds much-needed depth to the Borough’s midfield. Hill will slot straight back into a key defensive post. “The great thing about all our recruits is we know exactly what we’re getting,’’ Filo said. “All of them except Troy Coates have played for Eaglehawk before. There’s no mystery involved. We know how they play and they know the culture of the footy club.’’

Filo confirmed yesterday that his son, Brodie, is having a four-week trial with West Australian Football League club Peel Thunder. The speedy midfielder/small forward hasn’t signed with the Thunder for next season.
“He’s just having a look over there to see what it’s like,’’ Derrick said.
“I really don’t know what he’ll do.’’

Star midfielder Justin Arnold’s future remains up in the air. Arnold’s season was hampered by injury, but in the games he played he showed he is in the top echelon of players in the BFNL. The Hawks are having their first get-together this Friday night at the Canterbury Park clubrooms from 6pm.

maineman and flyboy ... ur memorys must b slipping ... 3bo did a whole heap of bfl games in the warmer autumn months
dont u remember those qeo matchs in late april/early may
zach harvey and the gang did quite a few B4 winter arrived

:thumbsu:the key thing here is that the bfl bosses lerve bo ... not polite here to write wot they think of the others :eek:

That was sort of my point, Zakster, they did a few then nothing, then the game for the kokoda crash guy, then came back for finals.

I reckon it should be do at least one each week or not at all.

As for Castlemaine's coach my word is the deal has been done and is just about to be announced. Plapp withdrew which delayed things, but at least 2 pretty reasonable names came up from nowhere just recently which they all seem pretty happy with. One is obvious but I suspect he has not got the job, the other I have no idea about.

Can assure you that the 3BO footy team wernt paid for there work this year, the post game scores show and calling on Saturdays was all done voluntarily.

Regardless...this is a ridiculous point to bring up. Its great the Fresh boys do it for the love of it and no coin, but they are in community radio for that reason.

According to a mate who works with 3BO, they didnt call games each week as the BFL opt not to play Saturday night games during the winter months, and this was the only timeslot available for a local call with there Triple M AFL coverage.

At the end of the day, the two stations dont even compete ratings wise, and 3BO's involvement just gives local footy fans another choice when it comes to there coverage.

Neither Fresh or 3BO are battling for big bucks like a MMM or 3AW hoops, so ease up on the petty sniping...Im not sure if you've been burnt by commercial radio for a job in the past or are just looking for a few cheap shots at blokes who share your passion for local footy hoops. Either way you clearly are not looking at this topic with a balanced point of view.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back