What's happening in the Bendigo Football League

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess if he is supposed to be signing this week, we'll hear soon enough.

Any reports on Gisborne or any other club?

The BFL thread seems to have dried up a bit.........

wobble said:
I guess if he is supposed to be signing this week, we'll hear soon enough.

Any reports on Gisborne or any other club?

The BFL thread seems to have dried up a bit.........

I know mate, that is why i bothered responding to you today, I just guess not a great deal of Bendigo people know about BF. I'll have to spread the word!!

:) YOU guys would be aware Mich. Medallist and key defender Dave Power have re-signed with Gisborne. And they might talk Ty Elliott into playing one more season. he won the Nalder Medal for BOG in last year's BFL grannie.
Sandhurst will go OK with Zac Perez and Mark Fitzgerald back from one of the WAFL clubs. And Mitro will be much fitter this year.
South has signed a heap -- Dane Frew, Zane Taylor (South Mildura, maybe a rover), Beau Shiels (ex-GS, recently Huntly), Nick Knight (Rochie), Brade Rohde (ex Pioneer, recently Nyah), Rick Coburn (W Hills), Shannon Hayes (ruck, W Hills).
Jamie Bond will play HOME games only for M'borough and the Maggies mite get Ashley Noonan back from one of the WAFL clubs where he has been training.
Kyneton get Shannon Carroll from Abers in the EDFL but lose Mattie Waters and Tom Tobin to the HDFL.
Square is chasing this ruckman we've all been hearing about and have grabbed Luke Rosa (bro. of Simon Rosa from the Ben. Bombers) plus Curtain and Tyrrell.
North City has players who were in Redan's recent flag-winning side and with a heap of talented juniors, look out for them -- especially after June when the club has settled in.
E'hawk re-signed Kain Robbins and got his mate Matt Gretgrix from Charlton -- he kicked 4 goals in the 2005 NCFL grannie.
Flat has Mark Salakowski, ex GVFL rep. player, but believed to be 35 or 36.

Doona2 said:
Footy finals clash
Luke West
Saturday, 14 January 2006

THE All Seasons Bendigo Football League grand final and the Heathcote District Football League's showpiece day are set to clash this year.
The BFL and HDFL grand finals have both been set down for Saturday, September 23.

However, the possibility of the BFL grand final being shifted to Sunday, September 24, will be discussed at the league's club meeting on February 10.

What may also save a possible clash of grand finals is if the HDFL doesn't play an inter-league match.

The HDFL has set aside the Queen's Birthday long weekend in June as an opportunity for an inter-league game.

The HDFL is talking to both the Golden Rivers and Benalla and District leagues about playing inter-league, but neither is yet to commit.

If the league is unsuccessful in securing an opponent for a representative match, one option could be to bring the season forward a week for the remaining 10 rounds, therefore avoiding a grand final clash with the BFL.

HDFL secretary Trevor Arnel said the league couldn't afford to wait until February 10 to see what the BFL would do about its grand final scheduling before releasing its fixture to its nine clubs.

The Maryborough-Castlemaine District Football League grand final will also be played on September 23.

Arnel said it wouldn't suit the league to switch its grand final to the Sunday.

"It seems clubs struggle to even play on a Sunday when they have those two Sunday finals on the first two weekends (of the finals)," Arnel said.

"And tradition as well - the HDFL has always had a Saturday grand final, whereas the BFL has sometimes had a Sunday grand final.

"But hopefully, we can all work in together and in one way or another, it all works out for everyone involved."The last BFL grand final played on a Sunday was in 2001 when Golden Square defeated Sandhurst.

If the HDFL grand final is played on the Saturday and the BFL decider is played on the Sunday, there is the possibility of a joint ticketing system being put in place that would allow entry into both games.

The HDFL season will start on Saturday, April 22.

BFL general manager Tony Pierce or chairman Damian Drum couldn't be contacted yesterday.

Maybe HDFL and BFL should play an Interleague game against each other. I am willing to take bets that HDFL would defeat BFL
If BFL think they are a "Major" league then GFs should be scheduled for Sundays like other leagues such as GV and OM.

Jock Clark 2 said:
Flat has Mark Salakowski, ex GVFL rep. player, but believed to be 35 or 36.

I think if you read recent transcripts from the Kyabram DFL thread an informant extremely high up with the Swans disagrees with this rumour.

chief wiggum said:
Maybe HDFL and BFL should play an Interleague game against each other. I am willing to take bets that HDFL would defeat BFL
If BFL think they are a "Major" league then GFs should be scheduled for Sundays like other leagues such as GV and OM.

Chief Wiggum come on! The Heathcote League is a good district comp much better than the Lodden Valley, Marybrough & C'Maine & co but not a patch on the Bendigo League. Have a look at the calibre of players amongst the sides Kain Robbins, Matt Fitzgerald, Luke Saunders, John Hardinge, Steven Reaper, Wayne Mitrovic and I haven't even scratched the surface yet.

I agree On The Money, the HDFL would struggle to say the least in a game against the BFL.

Wes Pye is the man that Square have got. From Lake Boga. Very good and big Ruckman.

You don't think the new team will be up there Randelbone? Seems like they have picked up some very handy players?

Weapo said:
I agree On The Money, the HDFL would struggle to say the least in a game against the BFL.

Wes Pye is the man that Square have got. From Lake Boga. Very good and big Ruckman.

Used to play with Wes Pye - don't think he'd be 6 foot 5, prob a couple of inches or so shorter than that, but a very powerful unit. Can run, hits hard, and is a tireless worker who loves to stick up for his teammates and a top bloke, aswell. If anything, there'd be a question mark over his delivery and footy brain in general. I imagine he'd be in the top 3 ruckmen in the BFL next year, but wouldn't have the nous to go with John Hardinge..

Weapo said:
You don't think the new team will be up there Randelbone? Seems like they have picked up some very handy players?
Any truth in Ex Doutta stars & Bendigo boy Damian Lock back in the area ?? was talking w a w/borderfl side pre xmas (fell through).Any info !!

Yeah your dead right T Perry. Yeah seen Hardinge go around and seems to be one of if not the best big man in Bendigo so it would be an interesting duel. Might have to go and have a look at that clash.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could anyone tell me if the BFL legend Derek Filo is playing Coach again in 06.?

If so how old is he.? 38 - 39. ?? Would there ever have been an older playing coach any where in major country league football.?

BIGANT said:
Any truth in Ex Doutta stars & Bendigo boy Damian Lock back in the area ?? was talking w a w/borderfl side pre xmas (fell through).Any info !!

Damien Lock is certainly back in the area - coaching HDFL side, Colbinabbin. Not sure where he's residing, but I presume he's back living in Bendigo. HJ32 or Giantbug will be able to inform you more of what he's up to..

wheelbarrow said:
Could anyone tell me if the BFL legend Derek Filo is playing Coach again in 06.?

If so how old is he.? 38 - 39. ?? Would there ever have been an older playing coach any where in major country league football.?

Not sure exaclty how old they would have been, but Dirty Williams was playing coach at Rochester well into his 30's (though maybe not 38 or 39) and I think Tony Pasquali coached Wangarratta in the O & M not much younger than 40. Still, great effort from Filo..not many still go round at major league at his age..

Can confirm Wes Pys has signed with Golden Square.

The deal was made official this morning.

Anyone tell me how Eaglehawk are shaping up?

Always seem to have a high turnover of players yet still finish close to the top without breaking their duck.

Obviously Robins is a big plus but the losses of Rankin x 2, McGlynn & Geary will be tough to cover

wobble said:
Can confirm Wes Pys has signed with Golden Square.

The deal was made official this morning.

Anyone tell me how Eaglehawk are shaping up?

Always seem to have a high turnover of players yet still finish close to the top without breaking their duck.

Obviously Robins is a big plus but the losses of Rankin x 2, McGlynn & Geary will be tough to cover

Apparently they have also got another from Charlton, Matt Windsall. About 6'2 defender. Can play as a key apparently and is aggressive when required. Don't think he will be a superstar but a handy addition.
Seems like they are getting a few though.

He turns 35 in September, decorated career though.

Four flags with North Shore in the GFL and held the prestigious honor of captaining the Bendigo Diggers before handing over to the "Mayor" of Bendigo in Nicky Carter.

The bones are starting to creek and the muscles are tightening up on the great D Walsh and I expect he'd be looking to hang them up this year.

His other love in Fishing is starting to take up plenty of his time too....

wobble said:
He turns 35 in September, decorated career though.

Four flags with North Shore in the GFL and held the prestigious honor of captaining the Bendigo Diggers before handing over to the "Mayor" of Bendigo in Nicky Carter.

The bones are starting to creek and the muscles are tightening up on the great D Walsh and I expect he'd be looking to hang them up this year.

His other love in Fishing is starting to take up plenty of his time too....

Actually only 31 from what I know, it seems as though his body is starting to feel the pinch, he can still play a very important role up forward now days if not fit enough for midfield!

This link confirms his D.O.B. -http://www.gsfnclub.com.au/darrenwalsh.htm

Giantbug said:
Outside of metropolitan leagues two tiered leagues have hardly ever been successful. It would never benefit the second division teams, and smaller country clubs would invariably struggle if they were promoted to the top division. Plus the old rivalries would be lost which is a real part of country footy. You office types have to get out a bit more often - the air-con must be getting stale.
The news is right that Damian lock is coaching up that way @ Colbinabbin...can he play the game and where,is he wasted out in the bush league ?? i hear he's got white line fever too :thumbsu:........Did he enjoy it at doutta last year ?? Still peeved that we missed out on him for this season 06...seemed like a good fella

Heard 2day little Central Murray club Nyah-Nyah West United could struggle in 2006.
Seems playing stocks have been depleted with a lot of their players heading to Bgo clubs
Brad Rohde is one NNWU guy heading to South Bendigo. Anyone hear of others from that club in nthn. Vic ?

Oh, Mr T. Perry
BFL 2005 grand final Guide quoted Mr D. Filo as 35. That's close to the end of September 05.
I reckon he's older than the age quoted in that publication and closer to the age listed by other forumers on this thread.
Remember he was captain of Castlemaine when they won the 1992 BFL flag. That's a year or 2 ago, now.

Weapo said:
Apparently they have also got another from Charlton, Matt Windsall. About 6'2 defender. Can play as a key apparently and is aggressive when required. Don't think he will be a superstar but a handy addition.
Seems like they are getting a few though.

That will be another big loss for charlton.... Looks like we are going to be saving some money next year... I wonder what position Rick Andrews son will be playing in the seniors?//

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back