What's happening in the Bendigo Football League

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tilt Carter said:
Can i just remind u guys that very shortly we are heading into 2006, stop talking about the 60's and 70's and look at the leagues as they r today.
The BFL is currently in division 3 and GVFL in division 1 i think this stands alone as to where they are at. The GV would pull the BFL's pants down in a game of football and if the leagues were both serious about interleague especially BFL they would suspend players for not making themselves available, What went on this year was a discrase with a majority of the players out on the ********. I have said it before and will again the BFL is heading no where fast but backwards..

Tilt, I strongly agree that the GV comp is better. Instead of talking interleague where you can have 22 good players and make a good contest, look at the clubs and their strengths. In GV most clubs are town based and in Shepparton there are 3 teams. Compare this to Bendigo and you can see why the GV is stronger. Also the finances are easier to obtain in a 1 team town such as Rochester, Echuca or Kyabram. Bendigo football was probably even with GV early 90's but since then has fallen away. In BFL Gisborne has been the force - close to Melbourne and 1 team town -nuff said

If the Bendigo Bombers were to leave Bendigo and all ties to the VFL were lost would this not help Bendigo clubs and make the league stronger?People seem to think that having a VFL team in Bendigo is positive which in some aspects it is, but remember you wont have that tall CHF or Ruckman for long if they show any promise in junior grades. This is where Bendigo football loses out and as such the kids become better players but then the BFL league teams cannot compete with the dollars offered at a later stage. Lose the middle man and start getting the talented kids coming through again instead of looking at mergers, divisions and the like. The answer is to lose the Bombers

In season 2006 Essendon will supply 16 players each week until finals, which means only 6 players cAN MAKE THE SENIOR TEAM EACH WEEK.
The next best 10-20 players will be running around in the twos and this is where the damage for the league comes from. The administation of the league has to be held to account in regards to development of the game and the poor outcomes for the BFL in this "partnership"

Shiels signs with Bloods
Luke West
Friday, 30 December 2005

SOUTH Bendigo has continued its recruiting in the build-up to the 2006 All Seasons Bendigo Football League season by landing the signature of Beau Shiels.

The former Bendigo Digger, Golden Square and Huntly player signed with the Bloods yesterday.

"To have a bloke with that bit of experience from major leagues and having played in the WAFL and with the Diggers, he has obviously played under some pretty handy coaches," South Bendigo coach Danny O'Bree said."He has that experience we need to teach these young players we have.

"He is really looking forward to getting back and playing a full season of footy; he has had some injury problems and basically missed a year of footy this year.

"Hopefully, we can play him in a versatile role."Shiel's season with Huntly this year was soured by injury, but he easily won the Hawks' best and fairest award in 2004, despite missing four games.

Shiels joins Bendigo Pioneer Brad Rohde, from Nyah, and South Mildura's Zane Taylor as the Bloods' most recent recruits."Brad is about six-foot-two and can run like the wind, so he should bring a bit, but he is still young and it's going to be blokes like Beau who can help these young players out," O'Bree said.

"Zane is a small forward who has kicked five goals in a preliminary final for South Mildura."Earlier in the off-season, the Bloods also landed the signatures of White Hills pair Rick Coburn and Shannon Hayes, Dayne Frew from the Bendigo Bank Bombers and Rochester's Nick Knight.

At this stage, the club has lost tall forward Jake Matthews to the Bombers, while Josh Riddle is heading overseas.Matthews was one of the stars for the Bloods this year, and was particularly good throughout the finals series, kicking eight goals.

"His consistency level improved as the year went on, especially in the finals," O'Bree said.

"We tried to develop him as a centre half-forward and that worked all right, so it's disappointing he has gone at a stage when the club is really looking positive."Full-back James Flaherty, the winner of this year's Rositas Rising Star award, is also training with the Bombers, but is yet to sign.

"James has only played two years of footy and we think we can develop him a little bit further," O'Bree said.

"I think he would make the grade there (at the Bombers) fairly well if he intended to go the year after.

"It would be good for the club if he did stay on and give us one more year."The Bloods will again have the services of full-forward Luke Beattie, who will stay on as O'Bree's assistant.

Beattie topped the Bloods' goal-kicking in 2005 with 77, which included nine hauls of five goals or more.

The Bloods were beaten in the preliminary final this year.

So thats so far at least 5 recruits to South?
Dane Frew
Nick Knight
Beau Sheils
Zane Taylor
Brad Rhode

With Riddle and Matthews gone and Flaherty unsure, they're starting to build quite a list. They look like the team to watch in 06

Rhan said:
So thats so far at least 5 recruits to South?
Dane Frew
Nick Knight
Beau Sheils
Zane Taylor
Brad Rhode

With Riddle and Matthews gone and Flaherty unsure, they're starting to build quite a list. They look like the team to watch in 06

Definitely. Got some out and out guns and some good youngsters coming through. Nick knight will be quality and if Beau Sheils stays injury free, him and Beattie will cause some mighty headaches for BFL defenders.

T.Perry said:
Definitely. Got some out and out guns and some good youngsters coming through. Nick knight will be quality and if Beau Sheils stays injury free, him and Beattie will cause some mighty headaches for BFL defenders.
Aswell as White Hills Rick Coburn.

T.Perry said:

U tell us how Golden Square are going Trevor Perry apprently pete Curran might play at South again know anything about that?

COULD Hayes be related to one of the Hayes who played at E'hawk (Barry also coached Nth Bgo in the H'cote League).
A son or nephew perhaps, or is he from further up the country ?

Wayne Weideman said:
can anyone tell me anything about shannon hayes who has signed at south bendigo?

South have been chasing Hayes for a couple of years as another ruck to help out big john.

peter curran han't played football for 10 years and is assistant with melbourne i think. was at the crows last year

Wayne Weideman said:
can anyone tell me anything about shannon hayes who has signed at south bendigo?

Hayes played at Heathcote and at White Hills when I saw him in action. Personally I dont think he's as good as everyone thinks, not an overly tall ruck option from memory, can certainly jump but never set the world on fire when I saw him play. May be better suited as a second option though instead of carrying the bulk of the duties.

On The Money said:
U tell us how Golden Square are going Trevor Perry apprently pete Curran might play at South again know anything about that?

Yeah come on Trevor what do ya know!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

:) QUITE right, Smokey. Curran coached in the Launceston area after leaving Catholic College, Bendigo (where he taught Yr. 12 English, among other subjects) and coached South in the BFL.
He is now at Dee-Land with Daniher.
He did spend a couple of season at the Crows as forward line coach.
Don't think he will toss the AFL $$$$$$ overboard for a BFL playing gig !!

Roos sign former Seymour champ
Luke West
Tuesday, 3 January 2006

KANGAROO Flat has gained the services of former Goulburn Valley Football League representative player Mark Salakowski for the 2006 All Seasons Bendigo Football League season.

Salakowski joins the Roos after a decorated career in the GVFL in which he played 200 senior games with Seymour and was a premiership player with the Lions in 1991 as a teenager.

He will add some valuable experience to the young Kangaroo Flat line-up and will also provide a physical presence on the field.

Roos' coach Damien Brown hinted that he would use Salakowski off a half-back flank during the season.

Salakowski has spent the past several seasons playing for Avenel in the Kyabram District Football League.

The Roos are also likely to pick up Adam Harrop, a small player who played with Heathcote this year, and is also a former Avenel player.

New Bendigo Bank Bombers' recruit Patty Rattray - a premiership player with Seymour this year - has indicated that Kangaroo Flat will be his preferred club when he is not playing in the VFL.

However, with the Bombers now fielding a resderves side, it's unlikely Rattray will spend any time in the BFL.

Kangaroo Flat endured another disappointing year in the BFL in 2005 when it won just one game and finished on the bottom of the ladder for the third season in a row.

The club will resume its pre-season training program on January 16.

The Roos will open the 2006 season with the now-traditional Good Friday clash against Eaglehawk at Canterbury Park.

It will be the third year the Roos and Hawks have met on Good Friday, with Eaglehawk having won the previous two encounters.

:D PLENTY of talk on the other BFL thread that Matt Gretgrix has been training with the Square. But becoz he's good mates with Kain Robbins who has tossed in SANFL and VFL aspirations and just re-signed with the Borough, Kain is trying his hardest to convince his mate to pop over Job's Gully Bridge and don the Two Blues guernsey.

I saw Nick Knight and Marty Shadbolt?? running around last night at a very fair clip. They look to be in very good condition and Knight has put on some muscle on those soon to be released chicken wings into the BFL.......

Do Sportsbet run a book on the Michelson??if so I want to get on:p

What is the feeling out there lads on Nick Carter?

Every year we hear reports on him returning to the BFL, he has achieved pretty much everything there is in footy.

When will he return?

I hear he is keen to represent the VCFL before his career is over....

Anybody heard anything?

wobble said:
What is the feeling out there lads on Nick Carter?

Every year we hear reports on him returning to the BFL, he has achieved pretty much everything there is in footy.

When will he return?

I hear he is keen to represent the VCFL before his career is over....

Anybody heard anything?

Always here rumors about him coming to square to play with Christian but it never eventuates. I would give him one more year of Bombers and then I think he might consider it:thumbsu:

You play at Square do you mate?

Judging by your last comment I think you might??

They confident this year?

We're going for back to back in the EDFL.

wobble said:
You play at Square do you mate?

Judging by your last comment I think you might??

They confident this year?

We're going for back to back in the EDFL.

Used to mate, still a very keen follower tho. For the last 2 years I have heard rumors about Nick thinking about coming back to play with his brother at square. I think all brothers would like to play (football:D ) with each other at some stage of their careers.

Names fielded for City captain

Luke West
Saturday, 7 January 2006

NORTH City's first captain in the All Seasons Bendigo Football League is likely to come from one of four players.
It's expected either Julian Vallance, Julian Porter, Adam Richardson or Matt Lockett will captain the BFL's newest club in its inaugural season this year.

The quartet of newly-signed players has already been named in the Ballarat-based club's leadership group.

Vallance and Porter are Ballarat Football League premiership players with Redan, while North City has also signed another ex-Lion in Callum Young.

Injury cost Young the chance of playing in the Lions' 2003 flag when he was just 18 years old.

Porter, who previously played with the North Ballarat Roosters in the VFL, and Young, a former North Ballarat Rebel, will play key roles in the midfield for City this year.

Vallance is likely to play on the wing or across half-back.

Richardson and Lockett join Ben Beaston as ex-Daylesford players who have joined North City.

Richardson, Lockett and Beaston all played with Daylesford last year, but the trio are North Ballarat Juniors' products.The versatile Lockett is a distant relation of the AFL's all-time leading goal-kicker, Tony Lockett, but he missed all of last year after suffering a serious knee injury in the opening round.

Beaston is an ex-captain of both the North Ballarat Juniors' under-18 side and St Pats College's football team and will hold down a key position in defence.

North City - which last year signed a 10-season agreement with the BFL - has already signed 40 players, and is still waiting on commitments from up to another 20.

Senior coach Shane McCarty expects to have a list of between 55 and 60 players to select from for North City's senior and reserves sides.

"We'll do that easy, and that was probably my biggest hesitation when I stepped into the job," McCarty said yesterday.

"But we had 40 signed by mid-December, so that was a great start for us."North City has four clashes in its draw with the Roosters and Rebels, but the club has a working party going through issues raised by the fixture.

Options being considered by the working party include the switching of matches to Sunday, finding alternative venues in Ballarat, or on some weekends, reversing the draw to avoid clashes.

North City's first fixture clash will come in its first home game, slated for Saturday, April 22, against Eaglehawk at Austar Arena in round two.

On the same day, the Roosters are scheduled to host the Bendigo Bank Bombers in round three of the VFL.

North City's first game in its new league will be when it's showcased under lights against South Bendigo at the Queen Elizabeth Oval on Saturday, April 15.

ANYONE know much about Matt Lockett?
I read in the Addy back page yarn today (as Dooa has posted) that young Lockett missed virtually all of the 2005 season thru' injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back