Whats happening with JR?

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 2, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Whats the deal with Russell, our forgotten man?

Was just over 12 months ago that he was finsihing runner up to Juddy in the B&F, who himself finished runner up to Murphy in 2011.

Was browsing the Blueseum today at work (yeah) and stumbled on the following write up:

In 2011, Jordon was appointed to Carlton’s Leadership Group, and his influence at half-back was one of the reasons why the Blues were firmly entrenched in the top four by the half-way stage of the year. In round 7, he celebrated his 100th AFL game with a 3-point victory over St Kilda on a Monday night at Docklands, when the Blues unveiled a new (but not universally popular) light blue clash strip. And by round 16, he hadn’t missed a game all year.

But after that, things went awry, and Russell’s future was called into question. Said to have been injured during Carlton’s shock loss to the Western Bulldogs early July, Jordan was omitted from the side, and for the next eight weeks, ran around in the red and white strip of the Northern Bullants. His absence caused conjecture of course, and Blues fans were reminded of coach Brett Ratten’s pledge that any Carlton player who signed with the AFL’s newest club; Greater Western Sydney (due to join the AFL in 2012) would never play with the Blues again.

Amid luke-warm denials from both sides that there was any sort of problem, Russell was recalled for Carlton’s round 24 clash with St Kilda. But after the Blues lost a lacklustre contest by 20 points, he was omitted once more, and not selected for either of Carlton’s finals matches. Watch this space...

http://www.blueseum.org/tiki-index.php?page=Jordan+Russell

I also note that in the 'Best 22' thread, many posters have omitted JR from the starting 22 next year.

I think we are forgetting just how good he was in 2010 when he came 2nd in the B&F, and the year before in 2009 when he came 6th.

What are peoples opinions on JR for next year, and going forward?

Is he GWS bound? If not, what role do we see in his future at Carlton? He has established himself as a rebounding defender, but has the ability to play forward and in the midfield - at 188cms and 90 odd kilos he is a handy size.

Thoughts on the forgotten man?

20 views and no replies.

Im not the only one in a pickle as to how to answer this one.

Ideally (to answer my own question):

FB: Laidler, Jamison, Duigan
CB: Yarran, Henderson, Russell

Two talls, two mediums and two dedicated rebounders.

Or give him a run in the centre (What we recruited Brock for).

If he was to go to GWS, what would we get for him?

Based on inital draft position, and B&F results (part of the formula) a selection in the 1st round somewhere I would assume.

Would we be happy with this?

lost fittness and possibly was not real fit to begin with then due to our pick ups in the backline we didn't need a medium sized defender who was not performing. Just didn't look fit.

Best 22 when fit, no doubt. I also think he needs confidence to play at his best, as in 2010. Ratten worked hard on instilling it in him and it paid off. Last year his fitness/injury woes diminished his confidence as well IMO.

He will be back this year. I'd like to see him play midfield because of his big body and appetite for the contest but tend to agree with Harks that he is at home in the backline.

Swann didn't hold back in announcing Russell as "easily being in our best 22 and is going nowhere" on several occasions when asked about the rumours of Russell being hounded by GWS.

EBIAC had also spoken to Pask, who said that Russell had been injured, loves Carlton and is going nowhere

Good stuff.:thumbsu:

When Russell came into 'The Lindsay Hassett' room (I think it was) at the MCG (I believe before the Collingwood game started) this year he did an interview with the crowd.

He said the reason for him being out of the side is that his form had dropped off and his fitness level wasn't where it should be and that he told Ratts to take him out of the side till he is better for the benefit of the team.

JR certainly had a year to forget in 2011. However it is easy to forget that he played 16 games in Navy Blue. In fact looking over his statistics that is something that I too had forgotten.

Easily in our best 22 when fully fit. The issue this year is that he wasn't, and that really hurt him.

JR back fit and firing is just another thing to add to the list of things to look forward to in 2012. He was outstanding in 2010 and there is absolutely no reason why he can't recapture that sort of form, and even improve on it.

The query with JR is the position which we will see him in. I along with many others around here are toying with the notion of seeing JR in the guts. He's a big body, knows how to find the ball and certainly knows how to use it. The beauty of the NAB series is that it allows us to test these positional tweaks to see if they can be of benefit to us prior to the real season starting. It would not surprise me in the slightest to see Jordy in the middle of the park throughout the preseason games. Possibly not as a permanent midfielder, but certainly as an option to put in there and have a serious impact. To me, JR also seems the type to thrive on responsibility so we could well see him leading the midfield brigade at some stages throughout the preseason.

The common line going around the traps is that we won't be serious contenders until we put another tall in the side. Whilst that may prove to be the case, putting JR in there may have an equally significant impact on our fortunes. It would be an unfair stretch to suggest that JR is an A grader, but he's certainly a player that can have a serious impact in pushing us further up the ladder and deeper into September action.

CB: Yarran, Henderson, Russell

Compare that to the final against WC.

CB: Yarran, Henderson, Davies

You could also include Touhy and maybe Joseph as part of the backline for that game.

When fully fit and in 2010 form Russel is ahead of Davies, Joseph, Touhy and maybe Duigan.

He really lost his spot due to others around him in 2011. Especially with the introduction of Laidler and Duigan.

Hopefully he can regain his 2010 form and find his place in the team.

Rusty reminds me of Jordan Lewis from the Hawks at times. Similiar body type. If he could play that hard hitting centreman role and give guys like Gibbs, Judd, Yarran, Simpson, Scotland and Murphy just a little more space to work in, will be well worth the move.

I have a similiar hope for Mclean, who people often forget is a natural footballer with good smarts, but a lack of fitness and crucially outside pace. The key to resolve this is to develop an exceptional fitness base so that while he may not make every contest first he makes a hell of a lot of contests.

Rusty reminds me of Jordan Lewis from the Hawks at times. Similiar body type. If he could play that hard hitting centreman role and give guys like Gibbs, Judd, Yarran, Simpson, Scotland and Murphy just a little more space to work in, will be well worth the move.

I have a similiar hope for Mclean, who people often forget is a natural footballer with good smarts, but a lack of fitness and crucially outside pace. The key to resolve this is to develop an exceptional fitness base so that while he may not make every contest first he makes a hell of a lot of contests.

That's exactly what I was thinking :thumbsu:

Not sure that Russell has the poise, awareness and clean hands of Gibbs and Lucas in traffic to play midfield. Think he's better on the outside where he can use his pace and clean skills to rebound. Played well as a wingman against Brisbane and finished off the Crows with a nice running goal from 50.

Rhys O'Keeffe is the player I'd like to see play a Jordan Lewis and Heath Hocking role for the Bullants. Real bullocking type with a long left foot that could bust open zones and set up fast breaks. Footballer after he showed that he has the vision to weight lace out kicks off a step and under pressure. Might be one of those southpaws Hawthorn always seem to find. Similar size to Hurn, so he's got the bulk to throw around. I don't see Rhys fitting in anywhere else. Isn't quick enough to play as a defender.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can never have enough midfielders so try him there. If it doesn't work (and I think it will), we already know he is good enough to play back.

Another big body in the middle is better for the team than another HBF (no offence intended:eek:).

JR certainly had a year to forget in 2011. However it is easy to forget that he played 16 games in Navy Blue. In fact looking over his statistics that is something that I too had forgotten.

Easily in our best 22 when fully fit. The issue this year is that he wasn't, and that really hurt him.

JR back fit and firing is just another thing to add to the list of things to look forward to in 2012. He was outstanding in 2010 and there is absolutely no reason why he can't recapture that sort of form, and even improve on it.

The query with JR is the position which we will see him in. I along with many others around here are toying with the notion of seeing JR in the guts. He's a big body, knows how to find the ball and certainly knows how to use it. The beauty of the NAB series is that it allows us to test these positional tweaks to see if they can be of benefit to us prior to the real season starting. It would not surprise me in the slightest to see Jordy in the middle of the park throughout the preseason games. Possibly not as a permanent midfielder, but certainly as an option to put in there and have a serious impact. To me, JR also seems the type to thrive on responsibility so we could well see him leading the midfield brigade at some stages throughout the preseason.

The common line going around the traps is that we won't be serious contenders until we put another tall in the side. Whilst that may prove to be the case, putting JR in there may have an equally significant impact on our fortunes. It would be an unfair stretch to suggest that JR is an A grader, but he's certainly a player that can have a serious impact in pushing us further up the ladder and deeper into September action.

Fortunately for the club, and unfortunately for J.R i don't think he is a walk up start for us any longer.
Backline jostle- Yarran, Duigan, Laidler, Gibbs, Tuohy,Scotland, J.R (+ Armfield, Joseph, Davies, Bootsma).
Midfield jostle- Ellard, Curnow, Mclean,Lucas,Gibbs, Carazzo,Scotland,Robinson J.R
Forward- Gibbs, A.C, Robinson, J.R. Kerr

Bolded are definites. Man I'd hate to be M.C at the moment, love J.r but who misses?

I see Touhy moving into the centre over the next year or two or possibly onto a forward flank rotating through the centre.

JR is best suited on the HBF rebounding with Yarran. He will definitely do the job for us there. Bower is the one who I have concerns about getting into the side. Although, we might be able to sneak him in if we need 3 talls in the side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Whats happening with JR?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back