Whats happening with JR?

Remove this Banner Ad

Hope they go easy on him in the first half of the year. No pressure on him either to get into the side. Needs to get his fitness right and I'm sure he'll be back to his best in time for finals :thumbsu:

You sure about that champ. :eek:

What, 18 rounds of swoosh to let Russell loose.

This is bloody football, you earn your keep.

Not sure if he has the tank to do this, but considering Gibbs is set to play a more attacking role this year, would JR be a good candidate to play on guys like Goodes, Goddard and the like?

DUIGAN NEVER SHIRKS A CONTEST...HEAPS OF GUTS...THE OTHER BLOKE IS A RABBIT IN THE HEADLIGHTS !!! THERE IS NO CONTEST IMO. RUSSELL HAS SKILLS, BUT TURNS THE BALL OVER TO OFTEN UNDER PRESSURE....AND IS NOT CONSISTENT AT ALL. HE ONLY TOOK 5 YEARS TO HAVE ONE GOOD SEASON!!! DUIGAN PLAYS LIKE ANDY McKAY...STRAIGHT AHEAD.

DUIGAN NEVER SHIRKS A CONTEST...HEAPS OF GUTS...THE OTHER BLOKE IS A RABBIT IN THE HEADLIGHTS !!! THERE IS NO CONTEST IMO. RUSSELL HAS SKILLS, BUT TURNS THE BALL OVER TO OFTEN UNDER PRESSURE....AND IS NOT CONSISTENT AT ALL. HE ONLY TOOK 5 YEARS TO HAVE ONE GOOD SEASON!!! DUIGAN PLAYS LIKE ANDY McKAY...STRAIGHT AHEAD.

ffs..STOP SHOUTING.
Dunno why we have to devalue one to appreciate the other..both good players IMO.

Not what I said at all.
You said that Russell doesn't have the natural instinct to go back with the flight and go in hard.
As far as I'm concerned, as good as Russell is and can be, players like him come around a dime a dozen (rebounding defenders). Whereas he is a good footballer, he doesn't have that natural instinct to go back with the flight or just get some part of his body on the ball when it comes to pack situations, a value I rate highly.

I guess it's one of those things where it's each to their own. Of course I think there's plenty of room for both of them. Russ on half back, Duigan in the back pocket. Done.
You're inferring that Russell is a squib.

There must be another Russell who played for Carlton and kept the likes of Ryan O'Keefe quiet in the final at the SCG.

Jamison, Henderson (unfortunately) and Laidler are pretty much set. Tuohy and Joseph look likely to make up another two spots with Duigan up for the last spot.
Just dont get your thinking here Harker .
We should be thrilled Henderson made a good fist of his move to defence .
Premiership sides all have good backlines and KPD are very hard to find .
If Henderson and Jamison form the spine of the backline we are a lot further down the track towards a flag , this is of far greater value to the team than what Henderson was delivering up forward .

I don't think he was questioning his courage, more his ability to perhaps run with the flight and judge where to get his body in order to mark/spoil. I actually think JR can do this and has the courage. Not sure whether he had the desire in 2011 to do the hard work preferring to get a ball out in the open and deliver it to the runners. In 2012 I think he will need to knuckle down and do all the hard yakka we love. Nobody's spot in the 22 should be gifted to them. It will be up to JR to show he deserves a gig

Duigan is a great feel good story, but people only think of the positives, not the negatives of his debut season. Duigan isn't as quick, smart and as clean at ground level as Russell. Spuds such as Lynden Dunn beat him in marking contests. All things being equal, if they're all fit and in form, then Duigan wouldn't be in my best 22 ahead of JR and Bower. Their best is better than Duigan's best. Better rebounders.

I agree with this General , all being fit and in form .
The problem with Bower is that its been to long , so , untill he can string togeather good consistent form week in week out at Preston Duigan holds his place .

I don't think Bower has to do a stint at the Ants necessarily. Everbody does a pre-season, everybody has a hitout in the pre-season games and we see who is fit and ready to go. I could see a team with Bower Duigan Jamo Laidler and even JR in it. So big bodies with skill and courage never go astray. Add Waite TBird Hendo Warnock Kreuzer hampson and we have some size to go with our classy mids etc. Versatility will be the key. You can see how players like Scotland might get squeezed out if their form starts dropping and why Carlos was allowed to try his hand elsewhere. I think the MC has a plan of where they want to go with the team. Lets hope it is the right plan and the players deliver

I don't think he was questioning his courage, more his ability to perhaps run with the flight and judge where to get his body in order to mark/spoil. I actually think JR can do this and has the courage. Not sure whether he had the desire in 2011 to do the hard work preferring to get a ball out in the open and deliver it to the runners. In 2012 I think he will need to knuckle down and do all the hard yakka we love. Nobody's spot in the 22 should be gifted to them. It will be up to JR to show he deserves a gig
Russell wasn't 100% fit last year. Just like Murphy and Scotland in previous years, he ran out of gas after having a hip operation in January. Hazard a guess that it would be a bit hard to go up and spoil if you're playing with an elbow injury. His right elbow is still strapped as a precautionary measure.

It's very simple really.
I see Henderson as more of a benefit up forward than I do for him in defence.
That's not to say he won't make for a good defender but he is the type of guy that is constantly working on bringing others into the game.
Once McCarthy or Watson step up to be able to accept CHB, Henderson will come forward pretty quickly.
Ratten himself would prefer Henderson forward, but for now at least, has little option.

EDIT:
I also think that Ratten is listening to his players and giving them the chance to prove themselves in their preferred position.
Walker wanted to go forward and has proved himself.
Kreuzer really doesn't like playing forward and you can bet he'll be given more time in the ruck this year.
Henderson sees himself as a forward and not a back-man and will go forward once we solidify our back-line.

I think Ratten will back the guys that have real character and our forward line will function so much better with Henderson there.

There is no point argueing with you on this Harker as you have your view and thats fine .
I would just hope that you read my post as it deals with the here and now !
A strong spine in a strong backline is the starting point to building a premiership team and at this stage who knows what Watson and McCarthy will become ??

Duigan does have a bit of an intangible about him which Russell lacks. While he can be sloppy with possession and prone to the odd fumble, his courage, on field leadership and sheer determination to succeed cannot be understated. He's a uniting presence in that backline, much like Jamison.

Then again, I reckon Laidler's got them both covered. :cool:

I agree. If you're ready, you're ready.
The same goes for players that have been out for a few weeks through injury.
If they're 100% to go, they should come straight back into the first's than to let their form diminsh playing in an inferior league.
I think that was largely already established last year with the likes of Carrazzo, Duigan, Laidler and Robinson coming straight back into the firsts after a lay-off through injury.

I take your point here , hopefully after an uninterupted pre season everyone starts with a clean sheet fit and well .
In my best 22 Bower starts but he has some convictions !!!
Fingers crossed his body is over that now and its plain sailing ahead .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Russell wasn't 100% fit last year. Just like Murphy and Scotland in previous years, he ran out of gas after having a hip operation in January. Hazard a guess that it would be a bit hard to go up and spoil if you're playing with an elbow injury. His right elbow is still strapped as a precautionary measure.
mechanically hard as he is resticted in movement or hard as he is into self preservation

Not setting up an argument Red Bull.
I'd be very happy to have two Henderson's, as I really think he's quite underrated by many within and outside our club.

I prefer Henderson as a forward for what I see in him and the value he would bring to the whole.
That aside we have two budding CHB's coming through in Watson and McCarthy yet we really don't have any CHF's.
Waite is not ideally suited to the key CHF post but will do a good job, but what have we got after that?
Mitchell, Rowe, Hampson or even Casboult are not the players we would want there, I assure you.

I understand your point Harker and im sure this discussion has been had many times at match committee .
In a way Mitchell becomes the most important player on our list , sounds crazy for a guy that hasnt played a game but if he can become our power forward everything falls into place .
A lot depends on the development of Mitchell , Watson and McCarthy but for now they are all still unknown .
Interesting times ahead and if all goes well a massive upside for the Blues !!!

You said that Russell doesn't have the natural instinct to go back with the flight and go in hard.

You're inferring that Russell is a squib.

There must be another Russell who played for Carlton and kept the likes of Ryan O'Keefe quiet in the final at the SCG.
No. Just, no.

Being a squib and not thinking before doing are not the same thing.

i take your point here , hopefully after an uninterupted pre season everyone starts with a clean sheet fit and well .
In my best 22 bower starts but he has some convictions !!!
fingers crossed his body is over that now and its plain sailing ahead .
certainly looks fit and injury free in training pics

Just my 2 cents on JR and our back line in general.

Was very very happy with how our backline really started coming together last year. I really think we are going to have premiership backline over the next few years as the boys start playing more and more games together.

There is no denying JR has talent and it will be hard to keep him out of the team, but he is going to have to work very hard to get/keep his spot in the team. He isnt just competing against Duigan for a spot, Touhy is knocking down the door for a spot and I just dont know how he is going to be kept out of the team this year.

Wish we had 2 hendos aswell, I rate this young man very highly and he is going to be a great player for us for many years. I think his best place is CHB though for the next year or 2 and if he really dominates there then this might just where we see him spend his career.

Unfortuantly for Emu I think he is going to find it very hard to find a spot in the team and if he cant seem to break his way in I think this could be the last year we see him in the navy blue.

All in all premiership defence in the making and its going to be a treat to watch how it pans out this year!

Just my 2 cents on JR and our back line in general.

Was very very happy with how our backline really started coming together last year. I really think we are going to have premiership backline over the next few years as the boys start playing more and more games together.

There is no denying JR has talent and it will be hard to keep him out of the team, but he is going to have to work very hard to get/keep his spot in the team. He isnt just competing against Duigan for a spot, Touhy is knocking down the door for a spot and I just dont know how he is going to be kept out of the team this year.

Wish we had 2 hendos aswell, I rate this young man very highly and he is going to be a great player for us for many years. I think his best place is CHB though for the next year or 2 and if he really dominates there then this might just where we see him spend his career.

Unfortuantly for Emu I think he is going to find it very hard to find a spot in the team and if he cant seem to break his way in I think this could be the last year we see him in the navy blue.

All in all premiership defence in the making and its going to be a treat to watch how it pans out this year!
and so it should be
should not matter if you are Bower Brock or Judd
If you cannot prepare yourself, cannot stay fit, cannot perform etc you cannot be carried for too long. In the snaps Bower looks super fit and a body that is AFL standard. Even Heath for an ol fella looked awesome. Some others do not look so ready to go.

Clear no.

Russell is a better defender and footballer than Davies and Joseph who played back last year.

Since when was Russell a turnover king who couldn't stop an opponent?

Has taken the scalps of Steve Johnson and Ryan O'Keefe in big games.

Where Russell plays wouldn't cover for your opinion that it's OK for a mid to be a bad kick. Carrazzo and Armfield are bad kicks who still turn it over as mids. Wing might be one position that he plays this year, but that argument just doesn't hold water. Russell is dual sided and a long kick. Some just have their whipping boys and can't see the forest for the trees. Just look at Walker who had only played one or two good games in the eyes of many Carlton supporters.

Not sure that you really know JR if you think he pulls out of contests. Russell never took a backward step before he made it as a defender. Wasn't kicking goals and creating as a defensive forward, but he always went when it was his turn to go. Brereton praised the concussed Russell's will to keep pushing after Croad's elbow hit him so hard, he spun 360 degrees.

[youtube]MwbASCARTuc[/youtube]

Footy supporters really do have short memories.

Russell is a better athlete and more talented than Duigan.

Great video mate.

:thumbsu::thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Whats happening with JR?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back